5 Best Home Warranty Companies for Wells
If your home relies on well water, any issue could leave you without water for some time. For a busy household, this can be paralyzing, leaving you unable to drink, wash your hands, cook a meal, or do laundry. For this reason, many homeowners have to act fast when they notice the first signs of trouble with their well. A home warranty can give you the confidence to act fast without fearing the financial burden of repairs or replacements.
While wells are typically covered within five years of installation, they are often much older than that, which can leave you without the protection of a well warranty. Many home warranty providers offer well pump coverage as an add-on to their base plan packages. Each provider will vary in the components it covers and the limits it outlines, so it’s important to compare plans before making your final choice.
Our team has carefully vetted dozens of the top home warranty providers in the nation to determine the best companies for well coverage. Below you’ll see what makes each company stand out and how the policies, costs, and add-on options compare.
Best Home Warranty Companies for Well Coverage
- Liberty Home Guard: Best Customer Ratings
- American Home Shield: Best for Comprehensive Coverage
- Select Home Warranty: Best Value
- 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty: Cheapest Appliance Plan
- The Home Service Club: Quickest Coverage
Liberty Home Guard: Best Customer Ratings
Liberty Home Guard (LHG) is our top choice for well coverage due to its generous $2,000 coverage limit for well pumps. In addition to solid well pump coverage, LHG provides comprehensive protection for major systems and home appliances. Its 60-day workmanship guarantee is double the industry standard of 30 days.
- Covers up to $2,000 for well pumps used for your home’s main dwelling
- Offers well pump coverage for $13 a month
- Provides discounts for purchasing select new appliances
Plans & Pricing
Liberty Home Guard offers three home protection plans: the Appliance Guard, Systems Guard, and Total Home Guard. The Appliance Guard protects major appliances and the Systems Guard protects home systems. The Total Home Guard bundles systems and appliance coverage. LHG assigns your service call fee based on your home’s size, type, your location and plan selections.
Here are more details about Liberty Home Guard’s plans and additional coverage:
- Appliance Guard ($49.99 per month): Covers built-in microwave ovens, ceiling and exhaust fans, clothes washers and dryers, dishwashers, garage-door openers, garbage disposals, ranges, ovens, cooktops, and refrigerators with built-in ice makers.
- Systems Guard ($54.99 per month): Covers water heaters, ductwork, air conditioning, plumbing, heating, and electrical systems.
- Total Home Guard ($59.99 per month): This plan combines the Appliance Guard and Systems Guard into one comprehensive coverage plan.
- Optional Add-Ons: Additional spa, carpet cleaning, casita guest unit, central vacuum, ejector pump, electronics protection, freestanding ice maker, generator, grinder pump, gutter cleaning, in-fridge ice maker, instant hot water dispenser, lawn sprinkler system, lighting fixtures, limited roof-leak, pest control, plumbing fixtures, pool and spa, pro-series clothes dryer, pro-series dishwasher, pro-series microwave, pro-series range/oven/cooktop, pro-series refrigerator, pro-series washing machines, rekey services, reverse osmosis water filter system, saltwater pool, second refrigerator, septic system pumping, stand-alone freezer, sump pump, swamp cooler, trash compactor, water dispenser water line, water softener, well pump, window washing/cleaning, wine cooler, and fridge.
- Service Fee: $65–$125
Learn more: Liberty Home Guard Review
American Home Shield: Best Coverage Caps
American Home Shield (AHS) offers solid well pump add-on coverage with a generous coverage cap of $1,500. AHS also stands out for its 50-year legacy in the industry, which makes it the most experienced provider we reviewed.
- Covers up to $1,500 in well pump repairs and replacements
- Offers well pump coverage for $8 a month
- Includes no coverage caps on built-in systems and high coverage caps on appliances
Plans & Pricing
AHS offers three plan options. The ShieldSilver plan covers exclusively built-in systems, while ShieldGold expands on that coverage to include appliances. The ShieldPlatinum plan covers all the items in the ShieldGold plan, plus roof-leaks and other essential items. You can also adjust your monthly fees with the flexible service call fee model.
Here are more details about American Home Shield’s plans and additional coverage:
- ShieldSilver ($29.99–$44.99 per month): This plan covers air conditioners, heating units, ductwork, built-in exhaust, vent, attics fans, main breaker and fuse panel box, doorbells and chimes, interior electrical lines, ceiling fans, garage door openers, interior plumbing lines, toilets, faucets and valves, whirlpool tub motor and components, and water heaters. It pairs all covered systems with a $5,000 coverage limit.
- ShieldGold ($39.99–$54.99 per month): This plan covers all the items in ShieldSilver plus refrigerators, ranges, cooktops, ovens, dishwashers, built-in microwave ovens, garbage disposals, instant hot/cold water dispensers, washers, and dryers up to $2,000 per covered appliance.
- ShieldPlatinum ($59.99–$84.99 per month): This plan covers all the items in the two earlier plan tiers plus roof-leak repairs up to $1,500, an annual HVAC tune-up, unlimited AC refrigerant, and coverage for code violations and permits. It also raises the coverage cap on appliances to $4,000.
- Optional Add-Ons: Electronics Protection Plan, pool or spa, guest unit up to 750 square feet, septic pump, well pump, limited roof-leak, re-key services, discounted heated or AC tune-up, and air filter discounts.
- Service Fee: $100–$125
Learn more: American Home Shield Review
Select Home Warranty: Best Value
Select Home Warranty is the only provider on this list to include free limited roof leak coverage with any plan tier. Its service contract also notes that it will respond to claims within 12 business hours of receipt. In addition, Select will cover the costs to repair all components of your home’s well pump, as long as it is your home’s primary water source.
- Provides up to $400 in well pump coverage
- Includes free roof leak coverage with each plan tier
- Has plans for less than $50 a month
Plans & Pricing
Select Home Warranty offers three standard plan options, an appliance-exclusive plan, a systems-exclusive plan, and a combo plan that provides comprehensive coverage for your home’s appliances and built-in systems. All plans are priced affordably at less than $50 a month, excluding add-ons.
Here are more details about Select Home Warranty’s plans and additional coverage:
- Bronze Care ($44.42 per month): This plan covers your cooktop, dishwasher, garbage disposal, built-in microwave, refrigerator, stove/oven, clothes washer, and clothes dryer.
- Gold Care ($44.42 per month): This plan covers your air conditioning, ductwork, electrical system, heating system, plumbing system, and water heater.
- Platinum Care ($47.75 per month): This plan covers all of the items in the Bronze and Gold Care plans, plus plumbing stoppages and garage door openers.
- Optional Add-Ons: Central vacuum, lawn sprinkler system, pool, septic system, spa, stand-alone freezer, sump pump, and well pump
- Service Fee: $75
Learn more: Select Home Warranty Review
2-10 Home Buyers Warranty: Cheapest Appliances Plan
2-10 Home Buyers Warranty is one of the only providers on this list to rival the industry experience of AHS. With more than 38 years of experience, 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty offers homeowners a suite of plans that allows them to cover as much or as little as they see necessary.
- Offers up to $500 in well pump coverage for $6 a month
- Features a appliance exclusive plan for as low as $22 a month
- Comes with 38 years of industry experience
Plans & Pricing
2-10 Home Buyers Warranty offers three plan types. The Simply Kitchen plan covers only kitchen appliances, such as your built-in microwave and dishwasher. The Complete Home plan expands that coverage to include built-in systems such as your heating system and thermostat. 2-10’s most comprehensive plan, Pinnacle Home, covers all the items in the Complete Home Plan plus a number of other uncommon coverage items.
Here are more details about 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty’s plans and additional coverage:
- Simply Kitchen ($22 per month): This plan covers your built-in microwave, dishwasher, range, oven, cooktop, and refrigerator with ice maker.
- Complete Home ($51 per month): This plan covers all the items in the Simply Kitchen plan plus your heating system, thermostat, interior gas lines, air conditioner with pump, plumbing system, and electrical system.
- Pinnacle Home ($60 per month): This plan covers all the items in the Complete Home plan plus cosmetic appliance parts, crane cost, filters, refrigerant recovery and recharges up to $150, electrical cut-off switches, faucets and faucet handles, showerheads, arms, and tub spouts, interior and exterior hose bibbs, PEX manifold plumbing system, concrete encased or concealed water, gas, drain, waste, and vent piping leaks or breaks in the plumbing system, haul away/disposal fees, burglar and fire alarm, attic and bathroom exhaust fans, and concrete-encased or concealed wiring.
- Optional Add-Ons: Luxury package, washer and dryer, roof-leak, HVAC surplus, garage door opener, additional refrigerator, additional wine cooler, additional freestanding freezer, additional wet bar refrigerator, pool, septic system, well pump, water softener, extended pipe leak, and preseason HVAC tune-up.
- Service Fee: $65–$100
Learn more: 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty Review
The Home Service Club: Quickest Coverage
The Home Service Club is another provider that offers generous well pump coverage. It also provides a workmanship guarantee of up to 90 days for parts and up to 11 additional coverage options, including sump pumps, water softeners, and sprinkler line systems.
- Extends up to $1,000 in coverage for well pumps
- Includes pest control in its Comprehensive Plan
- Basic plan offers more extensive coverage than many of its competitors
Plans & Pricing
The Home Service Club offers two plan options: a Standard Plan and a Comprehensive Plan. The Standard Plan covers a combination of 18 built-in systems and appliances, including your water heater, garage door opener, and laundry machines. The Comprehensive Plan extends coverage to 13 additional home systems and appliances.
Here are more details about The Home Service Club’s plans and additional coverage:
- Standard Plan ($51.25 per month): This plan covers air conditioning, ceiling fans, central vacuums, dishwasher, clothes washer, clothes dryer, electrical system, food center, garage door opener, garbage disposal, trash compactor, heating system, refrigerator ice maker, microwave, oven/stove/cooktop, plumbing system, refrigerator, and water heater.
- Comprehensive Plan ($62.50 per month): This plan covers all the items in the Standard Plan plus alarm wiring, doorbells, ductwork, gas leaks, hot water pump, pest control, plumbing stoppages, smoke detector, sump pump, telephone wiring, hot water dispenser, water leak, and whirlpool tubs.
- Optional Add-Ons: Sprinkler system line coverage, freestanding freezer, built-in refrigerator units with dual compressors, well pump, water softener, jetted bathtub, roof coverage, pool and spa equipment, spa and spa heater, sewage ejector pump, utility, and home service line coverage.
- Service Fee: $95
Learn More: The Home Service Club Review
Based on the amount of coverage offered, we recommend Liberty Home Guard for well pump repairs and replacements. LHG offers an impressive $2,000 in coverage alongside a generous workmanship guarantee for all completed repairs. If you want to prioritize your home’s appliances and systems while covering your well pump, American Home Shield and 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty are solid options. Before signing up, we recommend pulling quotes from three providers to compare costs and coverage options.
Frequently Asked Questions About Well Pump Warranties
How long is a well pump warranty?
After installation, well pumps are typically covered by a manufacturer’s warranty for five years. This warranty covers replacement parts, but it typically excludes labor costs. According to Mr. Rooter, the average well pump can last anywhere from 10–15 years, which leaves you with a gap of 5–10 years if you don’t have a home warranty.
With a home warranty, you can access technicians who can diagnose, repair, or replace the necessary parts of your home’s main water source without fearing large out-of-pocket expenses.
Do home warranties cover well and septic?
Many home warranty providers cover well pumps and septic tanks as an add-on option. You’ll want to read every provider’s policy carefully to discover precisely which parts of your system are covered. For example, many providers will cover the well pump but not the pressure tank.
Are wells covered by homeowners insurance?
Wells are only covered by homeowners insurance if the damage results from a perilous event, such as weather damage or vandalism, but not in everyday use.
Our Rating Methodology
We back up our home warranty ratings and recommendations with a detailed rating methodology to score each provider objectively. We conduct research by speaking with company representatives, requesting quotes, analyzing sample contracts, and conducting focus groups and consumer surveys.
We score each provider against our review standards, which include four comparison categories: coverage, value, trust and transparency, and availability and service. We rate each provider across 31 factors within these categories. Each factor is assigned a point value based on its importance to a homeowner, totaling 100 points. We then convert the final scores to a 5-star rating.
Here’s a breakdown of our weighted factors:
- Coverage (40%): We scored coverage based on included home systems and appliances, add-on options, and unique benefits. We also compared coverage caps and policy exclusions.
- Additional coverage items
- Annual coverage cap
- Home systems coverage
- Major appliances coverage
- Obstructed wall coverage cap
- Value (30%): We compared the coverage level received to monthly pricing to determine plan value. We considered premium pricing, service fees, and flexibility in customizing plan costs.
- Average monthly cost
- Cost flexibility
- Lowest service fee
- Trust and Transparency (16%): We evaluated each company’s reputation using the Better Business Bureau ratings and customer reviews on third-party review sites. We read through plan change policies, workmanship protections, and sample contract availability.
- Brand reputation
- Policy change flexibility
- Sample contract availability
- Workmanship guarantee length
- Availability and Service (14%): We award higher scores for faster claim processing and response times. We also considered service technician policies, including options to choose your technician.
- Claims process
- Guaranteed response time
- Service flexibility
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.