Stomping a few ants is one thing, but ridding your house of an infestation is an entirely different situation. When you start seeing more than a few insects around your home, it may be time to call a professional pest control company. These companies have the technology, materials, and know-how to deal with serious pest problems.
To help you understand how much pest control costs, we’ll present some average treatment prices and compare pricing based on the type of pest you’re dealing with. Finally, we’ll make our recommendations for the best pest control providers in the country.
Average Cost for Pest Control
We consider average pest control pricing by service and pest type below.
Average Cost by Service Type
According to HomeAdvisor, the cost for a one-time pest control visit averages between $300 and $550. This cost is generally higher than regular visits because the technician will need to investigate and diagnose the problem and provide treatment all at one time.
Unfortunately, not all pest management can be accomplished in a single visit. You might need repeated treatments to rid your home of the problem. If a technician determines that you’ll need multiple treatments to address your pest issue, the initial visit will usually cost between $150 and $300. During the initial visit, a technician will identify the problem, locate the nest or site of the heaviest infestation, create a pest management plan, and perform the initial spraying or trap-laying.
Periodic visits to maintain the plan usually range from $40 to $70 and can occur monthly, bi-monthly, or quarterly, depending on your pest control needs. If you choose a quarterly plan, expect to pay between $100 and $300 per treatment. Annual pest control services for small infestations or yearly inspections typically cost around $300 to $500, which is similar to a single-visit treatment.
Finally, full-house fumigation is one of the most expensive pest control treatments due to the equipment and labor needed to perform the service. Fumigation costs typically run about $2,000 to $8,000, or about $1 to $4 per square foot of your home.
Factors that Affect Pest Control Pricing
The wide range in average pest control costs above are due to a variety of factors, including:
- Type of service: Depending on your pest issue, you might need chemical sprays, bait traps, fumigation, or other services, all of which have different price tags.
- Frequency of service: The more frequent the visits, the less each one will cost you.
- Location: If your home is in a remote or hard-to-access area, a technician will likely charge a bit more to cover travel costs.
- Type of pests: Some pests are easier to treat than others, leading to different pricing structures.
- Type of treatment: Environmentally friendly products tend to cost more than chemical treatments.
- Size of infestation: Larger, more deeply rooted infestations will cost more than smaller ones.
- Size of property: Many pest control and prevention strategies involve surrounding the perimeter of the home, so larger homes will cost more to treat.
Most Affordable Pest Control Companies
We recommend the following pest control companies for their national reach, extensive services, and affordable treatment options. Both of these providers offer free estimates, so consider requesting a quote from each company before making a final decision.
Terminix has more than 300 locations across the country and specializes in termite control and bed bug removal. In addition to termites and bed bugs, Terminix treats a variety of common household pests, such as cockroaches, mice, ants, and non-dangerous spiders. Customers have access to 24/7 support and the strongest termite guarantee in the business. Terminix also provides attic insulation installation and crawl space inspections to minimize damage from pests and moisture.
Orkin provides same-day service if you call before 2 p.m. and has the experience and resources to provide top-notch pest control services across the country. The company prides itself on the continuous training of its technicians, which enables the company to efficiently treat all kinds of infestations. In addition to all common types of pest control, Orkin offers attic insulation, moisture treatment, and lawn treatments.
Frequently Asked Questions About Pest Control Pricing
Why is termite control so expensive?
Unfortunately, termite treatment is not something you can do yourself. Termite nests are often hidden deeply within a structure or under a foundation, and colonies are extremely large—often housing thousands of termites. Some infestations are worse than others, so it’s important to act quickly if you see signs of termites in your home.
How much is pest control per year?
If you only receive one pest control treatment per year, it will usually cost between $300 and $550. However, if you have a larger pest infestation, you may need quarterly or monthly treatments. Quarterly visits will cost $400 to $1,200 per year, and monthly visits will range from $480 to $840. This doesn’t include the cost of an initial visit, which may be necessary to diagnose the problem and plan for treatments.
Is professional pest control worth it?
This is a question you’ll have to answer for yourself based on your needs and budget. When it comes to pests that cause structural damage, such as termites and wood-boring beetles, or pests that can cause health problems, such as fleas, ticks, and bed bugs, it’s often well worth the cost to get rid of the infestation quickly with a professional pest control company.
Our Rating Methodology
The This Old House Reviews Team is committed to providing unbiased and comprehensive reviews for our readers. This means earning your trust through transparency and having the data to back up our ratings and recommendations. With that in mind, we spent time creating an objective rating system to score each best pest control company. Here’s what that review process looks like:
- We contact every pest control company via phone and online chat (if available), talking to representatives. We get quotes, ask questions, and fully understand each company’s pest control plans.
- We test the customer service, including factors such as wait times, friendliness, and problem-solving ability.
- We check and update all of the data and metrics on the companies on a regular basis to ensure we have the most current and accurate information.
With all of that data, we created a rating system to score each pest control company. Our rating system is a weighted, 100-point scale on the following factors:
- Plan options (35): Every home and every pest problem has its specific needs when it comes to prevention and remediation. Companies with multiple plans and service offerings were given higher scores than those without.
- State Availability (5): Where you live determines which providers are available. Companies available in more states were rated higher than those with less.
- Trustworthiness (15): We consider companies that offer service guarantees and others more trustworthy and therefore scored higher.
- Customer Service (35): This factor is based on our own research from calling providers, as well as their availability and guarantees for responses.
- Additional Benefits (10): Companies who offer things like information about the products they use, have an app for customers, and other benefits were given higher ratings.
In summary, the This Old House Reviews Team reviewed over 40 companies to select this list of the best pest control companies. Our researchers check and update our data on all 40 companies each month to ensure the most accurate information.
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews team at email@example.com.