A home warranty protects your major home systems and appliances when they fail due to normal wear and tear and prevents you from paying for expensive repairs or replacements. Liberty Home Guard (LHG) is a new provider in the home warranty business and offers comprehensive home warranty coverage at a competitive price.
In this Liberty Home Guard review, you’ll find information on the benefits and drawbacks of the company’s warranty coverage, pricing, customer reviews, and competitors. Keep reading to determine if Liberty Home Guard is the best home warranty for you.
Liberty Home Guard offers $200 off, one month free, and free roof coverage to This Old House readers. Get a free quote from the company:
Our Take on Liberty Home Guard
We rated Liberty Home Guard a 87 out of 100 and named it the ‘Most Responsive’ home warranty company of 2022. Its low service fees, affordable protection plans, positive customer reviews, and A rating from the Better Business Bureau make it a worthy investment for homeowners.
Best Home Warranty Companies of 2022
The home warranty companies with the best ratings include the following:
- Liberty Home Guard: Most Responsive
- American Home Shield: Best Overall
- Select Home Warranty: Best Value
- First American Home Warranty: Best Appliance Coverage
- Cinch Home Services: Best Additional Perks
- 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty: Cheapest Appliance Plan
- ARW Home: Affordable Service Call Fees
- America’s First Choice Home Club: Best for Customization
Pros and Cons of Liberty Home Guard
✔ A- rating from the BBB
✔ 60-day workmanship guarantee
✔ No contract requirement
✘ Not available in WA or WI
✘ Doesn’t allow customers to customize their plans
Liberty Home Guard Plans & Coverage
Liberty Home Guard provides coverage for essential appliances and systems in the home, offering three plans to its customers: Appliance Guard, System Guard, and Total Home Guard.
Appliance Guard covers major appliances like the refrigerator and oven, System Guard protects essential systems like electrical and heating, and Total Home Guard protects both home appliances and systems.
Compare each Liberty Home Guard plan and the items they cover below:
|Item Covered||Appliance Guard||System Guard||Total Home Guard|
|Built-in microwave oven||✔||–||✔|
|Ceiling and exhaust fans||✔||–||✔|
|Garage door openers||✔||–||✔|
In addition to these home warranty plans, Liberty Home Guard offers optional coverage for 20 items that you can include with any plan:
- Pool and spa
- Gutter cleaning
- Floor/carpet cleaning
- Sump pump
- Well pump
- Ejector pump
- Grinder pump
- Septic system pumping
- Limited roof leak
- Pest control
- Stand alone freezer
- Second refrigerator
- Fixtures (lighting and plumbing)
- Water softener
- Lawn sprinkler system
- Electronics protection
- Swamp cooler
You can get pricing for these items when you go to the Liberty Home Guard website and request a free quote.
Liberty Home Guard Pricing
Liberty Home Guard pricing will vary depending on where you live, the plan you choose, and the optional coverage you select.
When our team looked at pricing in Raleigh, NC, these were the estimates we received:
- Appliance Guard: $39.99 per month
- System Guard: $49.99 per month
- Total Home Guard: $59.99 per month
In addition to each plan’s monthly premium, Liberty Home Guard customers are required to pay a service fee, a one-time payment given to the contractor when they come to your home to repair or replace your broken system or appliance. Liberty Home Guard doesn’t let customers choose their own service fee, but they do offer a range of service call fees from $65–$125 per claim. Your service call fee will depend on the plan you select and the location of your home.
Liberty Home Guard Reviews
Liberty Home Guard has been in business for four years and is accredited with the Better Business Bureau (BBB). The company has earned an A rating from the site and has garnered almost five stars from more than 250 BBB customer reviews.
Here are a few Liberty Home Guard reviews from the BBB:
“Daniel helped me feel we had a plan that is A-1! What a feeling of relief! He was pleasant, patient with our zillion questions, and very knowledgeable. Thank you, Liberty Home Guard!!”
— P Murakami on 4/27/2020
“Very helpful! Answered all our questions. Informative, knowledgeable, and personable. Not pushy. We got a fantastic deal for our new home. Best experience with a home warranty purchase.”
— Tobie W. on 2/11/2020
“Worst company ever! This is my second service call in almost 2 years with them. The first one was for a stove, they said the parts are not available, the stove is 5 years old, case is still pending from March. Not another word from anyone on this. I called a tech and the parts ARE available for this stove. I called on Saturday for my air conditioning, it is now Wednesday & I haven’t heard anything from them!”
— Renee D. on 6/9/2021
Note: Businesses pay the BBB for accreditation and are not individually evaluated or endorsed by the BBB. A company’s rating is based on BBB customer complaints and other company information—not customer reviews.
The This Old House Reviews Team gives Liberty Home Guard an 8.6 out of 10. Although the company has only been in business for a few years, it has received positive feedback from reviewers on BBB, praising its customer service, and it provides comprehensive coverage at an affordable price. We recommend reviewing the sample contract thoroughly to confirm your understanding of exclusions, coverage caps, and limitations.
LHG also launched a new survey module in August 2020 that allows customers and technicians to send feedback directly to the Liberty Home Guard executive team, with the goal of helping the company fine-tune its operations and address issues efficiently.
Get a free quote from Liberty Home Guard:
If you’re not sure if Liberty Home Guard is right for you, we recommend getting quotes from the providers listed above. This way, you’ll be able to compare coverage specifics and pricing and find a home protection plan that best fits within your budget.
|Link||Star Rating||BBB Rating||Monthly Cost||Service Fee|
|American Home Shield||VISIT SITE||B||$40–$58||$75–$125|
|Liberty Home Guard||VISIT SITE||A-||$40–$60||$65–$125|
|Select Home Warranty||VISIT SITE||B||$36–$48||$60–$75|
|First American Home Warranty||VISIT SITE||B||$36–$38||$75|
|Cinch Home Services||VISIT SITE||B||$35–$62||$100–$150|
|Priority Home Warranty||VISIT SITE||$44–$55||$70|
|AFC Home Club||VISIT SITE||B||$38–$54||$75–$125|
|First American Home Warranty|
Frequently Asked Questions
- Company name: Liberty Home Guard LLC
- CEO: David Murphy, Vice President of Customer Relations
- Address: 4101 Avenue U
- City/State: Brooklyn, NY
- Zip code: 11234-5119
Our Rating Methodology
The This Old House Reviews Team is committed to providing comprehensive and unbiased reviews to our readers, and we aim to provide transparency in our review standards and research process.
Our research process includes speaking with representatives from more than 40 home warranty providers, requesting quotes, and asking clarifying questions to gain insight into each provider’s benefits and downsides. We also analyze sample contracts from each company to understand specific coverage terms.
To rate companies, we apply the data we have gathered to our review standards. These standards are on a 100-point scoring system, which is detailed below:
- Coverage (35 points): Providers are scored based on breadth and depth of coverage. We focused on key home systems (HVAC, plumbing, and electrical), essential appliances (refrigerator, ovens, and laundry machines), and unique coverage items (such as roof-leak coverage and code violation allowances). Coverage scores are weighted by taking into account coverage caps and other limiting factors, meaning providers with greater range of coverage and higher coverage caps score the highest.
- Value (30 points): A company’s plan value is a reflection of how well it serves the customer in comparison to what the customer pays for the policy. We accounted for monthly costs, service call fees, and cost flexibility (such as customizable service call fees, discounts, and multi-year policies).
- Trustworthiness and Transparency (21 points): Trustworthiness and transparency are a reflection of how well the provider considers the customer’s interests. We scored items such as the length of workmanship guarantees, online availability of a sample contract, policy change flexibility, and ease of cancellation. Additionally, we scored items that reflect industry reputation and customer satisfaction, including analyzing brand reputation across the Better Business Bureau and third-party customer review aggregators.
- Availability and Service (14 points): Quality of customer service is key to customer satisfaction. We dug into each provider’s guaranteed response times, claims processes, service flexibility, emergency availability, and more.
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.