Homeowners insurance protects your house from structural damages caused by a variety of incidents, but it won’t cover inevitable home repairs incurred from regular wear-and-tear damage. To cover the cost of system and appliance repair or replacement, you’ll need a home warranty.
If you’re concerned about coverage for your home’s sewer lines, a plan that covers your plumbing system and septic tank could give you peace of mind. Here’s what to look for in a sewer line warranty as well as our picks for the best home warranty for sewer line coverage.
What To Expect From a Sewer Line Warranty
Unfortunately, no home warranty covers all potential sewer line or plumbing problems. Here’s the sewer line coverage you can expect from most top-rated home warranties.
- Water line leaks, breaks, and stoppages within the main foundation
- Main line and lateral drain line stoppages up to 100 feet from the main access point
- Access to pipes behind unobstructed walls/ceilings/floors returned to a rough finish (usually subject to a benefit amount limit)
However, not every coverage option is included in a company’s basic protection plans. Here are coverages that are typically add-ons to existing plans for an extra fee.
- Septic tank pumping (once per year or contract term)
- Septic tank systems including sewage ejector pumps, jet pumps, and aerobic pumps
Finally, here are coverages that are typically excluded from most home warranty sewer line plans.
- Stoppages caused by collapsed/damaged drain lines, roots, or freezing
- Damage due to sediment, rust, or corrosion in pipes
- Leaks or stoppages outside of the main foundation
- Septic tank waste disposal or chemical cleanout
Now that you know what to look for, we’ll give our list of the top picks for plans that cover sewer lines. We’ll show how each company compares to the standards above.
Best Home Warranty for Sewer Line Coverage
- Liberty Home Guard: Best Customer Ratings
- American Home Shield: Best Coverage Caps
- First American Home Warranty: Best for Buying a Home
- America’s 1st Choice Home Club: Best for Customization
Please note that the quotes below are for a home that’s less than 5,000 square feet in Cleveland, Ohio. Pricing and coverage details will vary by location, so be sure to get your own customized quote.
Liberty Home Guard
Liberty Home Guard offers solid sewer line coverage alongside affordable premiums and service call fees, solidifying its place at the top our list. Liberty Home Guard is a trustworthy company and consistently scores high ratings from the Better Business Bureau, Trustpilot, and Google Reviews.
Here are some key details of Liberty Home Guard’s sewer line coverage:
- Standard coverage for stoppages clearable by a snake (within 100 feet of an access point, within the main foundation, excludes roots and freezing)
- No coverage for repairing pipe access or sewage ejector pump
- Add-on coverage for once-yearly septic pumping: $129.99 a year ($200 coverage limit)
Liberty Home Guard assigns a service call fee between $65 and $125 to your account. This fee will depend on your location, add-ons, and selected plan. Here are some sample prices for each plan:
- Appliance Guard: $49.99 per month
- System Guard: $54.99 per month
- Total Guard: $59.99 per month
American Home Shield
American Home Shield (AHS) is another solid choice for sewer line home warranty coverage. It offers comprehensive coverage for standard home systems and appliances alongside sewer line coverage. Note that, unlike most other companies, it will cover damage from sediment, rust, and corrosion. Its $1,000 limit for pipe access repairs is also twice what many other companies will pay.
Here are some key details of American Home Shield’s sewer line coverage:
- Standard coverage for mainline and drain line stoppages (within 100 feet of an access point, within the main foundation, excludes roots and freezing)
- Includes damage due to sediment, rust, and corrosion
- Limit for repairing pipe access: $1,000
- Add-on coverage for septic pumping and sewage ejector pump (first-year customers only, not renewable): $50 per year
American Home Shield’s plans come with adjustable service fees and monthly premiums. The higher your service fee, the lower your premium, and vice versa. Here are some sample prices for plans with a $100 service fee:
- ShieldSilver: $49.99 per month
- ShieldGold: $59.99 per month
- ShieldPlatinum: $89.99 per month
First American Home Warranty
Although First American Home Warranty is only available in 35 states, it offers excellent sewer line coverage. The company will pay to clear clogs within 125 feet of access points, farther than most companies. Although the company has a low limit for repairing damage needed to access pipes, it also covers rust and corrosion damage.
Here are some key details of First American Home Warranty’s sewer line coverage:
- Standard coverage for stoppages (within the main foundation, excludes roots and freezing)
- Extends coverage to stoppages within 125 feet of an access point
- Includes damage due to rust and corrosion
- Limit for repairing pipe access: $500 in Essential Plan – $1,000 in Premium Plan
- Add-on coverage for septic pumping and sewage ejector pump: $75 a year
First American charges a service call fee which ranges from $75–$125 per claim. Here are some sample prices for each plan:
- Starter Plan: $42.00–$58.00 per month
- Essential Plan: $52.00–$68.00 per month
- Premium Plan: $62.00–$88.00 per month
America’s 1st Choice Home Club
America’s 1st Choice Home Club (AFC Home Club) offers standard coverage for your sewer line at a competitive price point. AFC Home Club offers four plan options, three of which cover plumbing. The Platinum Plan offers the most comprehensive coverage with the inclusion of plumbing stoppages.
Here are some key details about AFC Home Club’s sewer line coverage:
- Covers visible interior leaks and breaks of water supply pipes, drain, vent, and waste lines (up to $500 per plan term)
- Covers toilet tanks and bowls (will replace with builder-grade materials)
- Covers unobstructed access to stoppage within the confines of the home’s foundation from the access point (will pay up to $250 to restore access point to rough finish)
- Offers septic system coverage as an add-on for $50 per month
Like AHS, AFC Home Club offers a flexible service call fee model. You can choose a $75, $100, or $125 service call fee. In general, the higher your service call fee, the lower your monthly fees will be.
- Silver Plan: $32.08–$36.67 per month
- Systems Plan: $39–$43.58 per month
- Gold Plan: $45.83–$50.42 per month
- Platinum Plan: $50.42–$55 per month
Frequently Asked Questions
Our Rating Methodology
The This Old House Reviews Team backs up our home warranty ratings and recommendations with a detailed rating methodology to objectively score each provider. We conduct research by speaking with company representatives, requesting quotes, analyzing sample contracts from each company, and conducting focus groups and consumer surveys. We then score each provider against our review standards for coverage, value, trustworthiness and transparency, availability, and customer service to arrive at a final score out of 100.
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.