A home security system can improve overall home safety, protecting you and your family from potential home intruders. Top home security systems protect you from unexpected break-ins and allow you to keep an eye on your home remotely.
With so many providers out there, it can be hard to figure out which one has the best home security system for you. That’s where the This Old House Reviews team comes in. We’ve compared packages, pricing, contracts, installation options, and warranties to help you find the most secure system for your home.
Top 9 Best Home Security Systems
- ADT Home Security: Best Overall
- SimpliSafe: Best for Easy Installation
- Abode: Best for Customization
- Vivint: Best for Smart Home Integration
- Frontpoint: Best for Smartphone Integration
- Alder: Best for Medical Alerts
- Canary: Best for Two-Way Audio
- Scout: Best for Disaster Prevention
- Blue by ADT: Best for Beginners
ADT Home Security
ADT offers one of the best home security systems in the industry. The company has more than 145 years of experience and serves millions of customers nationwide. It also provides 24/7 professional monitoring, giving customers peace of mind that their home is protected at all times. Due to its comprehensive package options, professional installation process, and competitive pricing, ADT is our No. 1 pick for the best home security system.
ADT Packages & Pricing
|24/7 Professional Monitoring||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔|
|24/7 Fire, Flood, & Carbon Monoxide Monitoring||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔|
|ADT Go Mobile App||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔|
|Alexa Guard / Voice Control Integration (with Amazon Alexa)||–||–||✔||✔||✔|
|ADT Mobile App and Remote Access||–||–||✔||✔||✔|
|Video Surveillance (Motion activated + alerts)||–||–||–||✔||✔|
|Stored Video Clips (Up to 8 cameras)||–||–||–||✔||–|
|Smart Home Automation||–||–||✔||–||✔|
Note: The packages and prices listed are for ADT’s professionally installed systems.
ADT offers five home security system packages. Packages can include a keypad panel, motion sensor, remote key fob, life safety equipment (e.g., panic buttons) and wireless door/window sensors. Advanced packages include mobile app access, an indoor/outdoor camera, a doorbell camera, a smart lock, and a smart plug. ADT’s cameras feature 720p HD, night vision, and two-way audio connections.
ADT pricing is between $28.99 and $59.99 per month, not including equipment costs. Equipment must be paid for up front unless you choose the monthly financing option.
All professionally installed packages require a 36-month monitoring contract. Early. and installation fees apply. Taxes addt’l. For full terms and pricing visit www.adt.com/legal.
Our Take on ADT Home Security
Superlative: Best Overall
Recommended Package: We recommend the ADT Complete Package. For $59.99 a month, you can receive professional monitoring, mobile app integration, video surveillance, and smart home automation features.
ADT is one of the most comprehensive options on this list. The company offers professional and self-monitoring options for both wireless and landline security equipment. Landline equipment is an excellent option for business owners or anyone looking for higher quality video and is an uncommon offering nowadays. The company also provides plenty of smart-home options and a user-friendly mobile app to control your system with.
If you’d like more details on ADT’s offerings, read our ADT home security system review or check out the following brand comparisons:
To Learn More: ADT Home Security Review
SimpliSafe is an affordable, no-contract alternative to other top home security systems like ADT. It’s easy to install on your own and integrates with a variety of smart-home devices. SimpliSafe is ideal for renters since installation doesn’t require you to drill into walls or doors.
SimpliSafe Packages & Pricing
|Feature||"The Foundation" Package||"The Essentials" Package||"The Hearth" Package||"The Knox" Package||"The Haven" Package|
|Entry Sensor||✔ 1 included||✔ 3 included||✔ 3 included||✔ 6 included||✔ 4 included|
|Motion Sensor||✔ 1 included||✔ 1 included||✔ 1 included||✔ 2 included||✔ 2 included|
SimpliSafe offers five security packages. All packages include a base station, keypad, entry sensor, and motion sensor. More comprehensive packages include a key fob, smoke detector, panic button, siren, and temperature sensor.
SimpliSafe’s packages come with easy-to-install equipment that features adhesive strips for you to place your equipment wherever you want. If you want to install SimpliSafe’s cameras, minimal tools and drilling might be required.
SimpliSafe prices range between $229 and $489 for the package equipment and $14.99–$24.99 per month for professional monitoring. The company often runs deals that allow customers to bundle professional monitoring and an alarm system. Here’s the pricing breakdown for each SimpliSafe package when bundled:
- The Foundation Package: $160*
- The Essentials Package: $181*
- The Hearth Package: $262*
- The Knox Package: $314*
- The Haven Package: $342*
*When bundled with 24/7 professional monitoring as of May 4, 2021
Note: SimpliSafe provides a 60-day money-back guarantee with these packages.
Our Take on SimpliSafe Home Security
Superlative: Best for Easy Installation
Recommended Package: We recommend The Essentials Package. For $259, you receive three entry sensors, one motion sensor, a keypad, and a base station.
SimpliSafe’s easy-to-install packages, in addition to comprehensive equipment options, make the company our No. 2 choice for top home security systems overall. All of its systems are easy to transport and come with a three-year warranty. The company does offer limited smart-home automation options when compared with ADT or Vivint, but customers avoid the long-term contracts that come with those companies.
Check out how the company compares to other top home security companies in detail with these brand comparisons:
- SimpliSafe vs. ADT
- Ring vs. SimpliSafe
- SimpliSafe vs. Vivint
- Frontpoint vs. SimpliSafe
- SimpliSafe vs. Nest
- Abode vs. SimpliSafe
To get a quote for SimpliSafe Home Security, visit the company’s website.
To Learn More: SimpliSafe Home Security Review
Founded in 2014, Abode is a relatively new home security company in the industry. However, it provides a wide selection of home security system devices and monthly monitoring packages that don’t require a long-term contract. We find Abode the best for customization due to its Build My System option. This option involves working with an Abode representative to create the perfect home security system package for protecting your home.
Abode Packages & Pricing
|Feature||"Smart Security Middle" Package||"Iota Kit Middle" Package||"Smart Security Kit Elite" Package||"Iota Kit Elite" Package|
|Motion Sensor||✔ 1 included||-||✔ 2 included||✔ 1 included|
|Door/Window Sensors||✔ 3 included||✔ 3 included||✔ 4 included||✔ 4 included|
|Smart Device Integration||✔||✔||✔||✔|
|Built-in Motion Detector||-||✔||-||✔|
|Type of Gateway||Gen 2||iota||Gen 2||iota|
Abode offers four home security packages. All packages come with a smart-home hub, door/window sensor, keypad, and key fob. Though it only provides a one-year warranty on its equipment, Abode’s motion sensors are easy to use and high-quality. Abode also allows customers to customize their own system through a Build My System option.
Abode prices range from $342–$445 for packages and $0.20–$0.66 per day for professional monitoring.
Our Take on Abode Home Security
- Superlative: Best for Customization
- Recommended Package: We recommend the Iota Kit Middle Package. For $379, you receive door and window sensors, a keypad, key fob, smart device integration, and more. We also recommend the Build My System option for increased customization.
If you are concerned about getting each of your security needs fulfilled, Abode is a great choice for you. Its Build My System option starts with a questionnaire, which recommends devices based on device preferences and the area you’re protecting.
Many other home security companies provide custom package deals, but Abode’s monitoring plans are affordable and flexible. Products can be used for professional or self-monitoring, and its professional monitoring is charged per day rather than per month.
You can also see how Abode compares with top providers with these brand comparisons:
To get a quote from Abode, visit their website here.
To Learn More: Adobe Home Security Review
Vivint has more than 20 years of experience, with an emphasis on smart-home integration and automation. It’s ideal for homeowners who want to integrate their security system with existing smart-home technology gadgets. Vivint’s system easily integrates with popular smart-home platforms, such as Google Assistant and Amazon Alexa, and the company can provide assistance with features like smart air control and smart lighting.
Vivint Packages & Pricing
|Feature||"Smart Hub Starter Kit" Package||"Home Security System" Package||"Smart Home Control" Package||"Video Security" Package||"Smart Complete" Package|
|Monthly Monitoring Cost||$9.98||$11.83||$17.50||$23.00||$29.83|
|Smart Entry Sensors (2)||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔|
|Smart Smoke Detector||-||✔||✔||-||✔|
|Smart Garage Door Opener||-||-||✔||-||✔|
Vivint offers five home security systems, all of which include a panel, entry sensor, voice control, and motion sensor. Advanced packages include a smart smoke detector, smart thermostat, doorbell camera, outdoor camera, smart garage door opener, and more.
Vivint’s cameras feature 1080p HD quality. Its indoor camera has a 155-degree field of view, and its outdoor camera has a 140-degree field of view. Both cameras can function with two-way audio and night vision.
All monthly monitoring plans include 24/7 professional monitoring, mobile app access, smoke alarms, and carbon monoxide detectors.
Vivint prices range between $599 and $1,789.92 for packages and $29.99–$49.99 per month for professional monitoring.
Our Take on Vivint Home Security
- Superlative: Best for Smart Home Integration
- Recommended Package: We recommend the Video Security Package for $1,379.95 because you can choose to pay up front or by monthly financing. This package includes the home security essentials, plus an indoor, outdoor, and doorbell cameras. If smart-home automation is more important to you, the Smart Home Control Package may be the best option.
Vivint is a great choice for anyone wanting smart-home automation and a professional installation experience. Customers are guaranteed their system will work, because Vivint does not allow DIY installation of its systems. Vivint offers more smart-home products than home security companies like ADT or Frontpoint, with integrating capability for third-party platforms like Google Home and Nest.
See how Vivint compares to other smart-home security systems with these comparison guides:
To Learn More: Vivint Home Security Review
Frontpoint provides one of the best DIY systems in the industry. It comes with 24/7 professional monitoring, no long-term contracts, and highly customized smartphone notifications. Frontpoint sends the equipment straight to your door. All you need to do is connect the monitoring hub and sensors to your Wi-Fi.
Frontpoint Home Security Packages & Equipment
For your convenience, Frontpoint has put together four starter packages, plus a build-your-own option. All plans come with a hub and keypad that, together, act as the base of the system, in addition to sensors and other equipment.
Note: Frontpoint includes yard signs, window decals, and door stickers with all home security systems.
Frontpoint Packages & Pricing
|Feature||"Safe Home Starter" Package||"Safe Home Everyday" Package||"Safe Home Select" Package||"Safe Home Preferred" Package|
|Hub And Keypad||✔ 1 included||✔ 1 included||✔ 1 included||✔ 1 included|
|Door/Window Sensor||✔ 2 included||✔ 3 included||✔ 4 included||✔ 5 included|
|Motion Sensor||✔ 1 included||✔ 2 included||✔ 2 included||✔ 2 included|
|Glass Break Sensor||–||–||✔||✔|
|Smoke And Heat Sensor||–||–||✔||✔|
Frontpoint offers four security packages. All packages include a hub and keypad, door/window sensor, and motion sensor. More advanced plans include a glass-break sensor, smoke/heat sensor, and indoor camera.
Frontpoint pricing ranges from $129 to $479 for package equipment. If you choose to pay for your equipment with the monthly financing option, prices range between $17 and $40 per month. Frontpoint’s optional professional monitoring plans cost $44.99–$49.99 per month.
Our Take on Frontpoint Home Security
Superlative: Best for Smartphone Integration
Recommended Package: We recommend the Safe Home Everyday Package. For $295.94, you receive three door and window sensors, two motion sensors, and a hub and keypad. The extra sensors allow you to secure multiple rooms, providing extra security.
If you value control and a user-friendly experience, Frontpoint is a great choice for you. Though other top home security systems use smartphone applications, we found Frontpoint’s mobile app to be the most impressive. The app arms and disarms your system no matter where you are, and it also allows you to view live or recorded video. Notifications and alerts can be received over email, text, and push notification. Customers are even able to control locks, thermostats, and lights through the app.
When analyzing customer service and sales calls, we observed that customers who did not own a smartphone or were concerned about using a smartphone had difficulties setting up their systems. If you’re uncomfortable with smartphones and apps, you should let Frontpoint know in advance and be sure to have a tech-savvy friend or family member on hand to help.
To Learn More: Frontpoint Home Security Review
Alder Home Security is a basic home security system that is ideal for those who are new to home security systems. Alder helps you create a customized package based on your needs and the size of your home. Alder’s medical alert pendants and buttons paired with its professional monitoring make it an excellent choice for those concerned about medical emergencies.
Alder Packages and Pricing
Alder provides only custom packages, unlike most home security companies. It offers a touchscreen panel, indoor/outdoor cameras, door/window sensors, motion detectors, medical alert buttons, doorbell cameras, and other items. You can expect to receive two-way audio with Alder’s indoor cameras.
Alder’s custom package pricing will vary depending on the items you choose. However, professional monitoring fees start at $39.99 per month.
Our Take on Alder Home Security
- Superlative: Best for Medical Alerts
- Recommended Package: We recommend the Alder’s custom packages for the high-quality equipment, such as the touch screen panel, indoor and outdoor cameras with two-way audio, the doorbell camera, and the medical alert pendant.
Alder features many industry-standard home security options, such as smart-home automation with Amazon Alexa and easy-to-install equipment. Though Alder requires a three- to five-year contract, the company provides a 30-day trial period and a one-year warranty on its equipment. We also found Alder’s commitment to life safety a great perk of the company. It adds another layer of security to your system for flooding, fires, and medical emergencies.
To Learn More: Alder Home Security Review
Canary Home Security is a great option for those looking for top-tier technology in their home security system. Each of Canary’s packages comes with a video camera that alerts you to activity inside the home, records video, and automatically adjusts its security mode based on home activity. Canary can also assist with smart-home integration to help monitor temperature and air quality.
Canary Packages & Pricing
|Feature||Canary View||Canary Pro||Canary Flex|
|90 Decibel Siren||✘||✔||✘|
|Temperature, humidity, and air monitoring||✘||✔||✘|
|Camera||HD Camera with 1080p image sensor||HD Camera with 1080p image sensor||HD Camera with 1080p image sensor|
|Field of View||147-degree wide-angle lens||147-degree wide-angle lens||116-degree wide-angle lens|
Canary provides three package options. Its packages combine the cameras and services listed above. Here are the packages customers pick from:
- Starter Pack: Canary Pro (1) and Canary Flex (1)
- Total Home Pack: Canary Pro (1) and Canary Flex (2)
- Outdoor Security Pack: Canary Flex (2) and Secure Mount (1)
Canary’s prices include camera costs, ranging from $99 to $199. Customers then choose from Canary’s three service plans, which run from $9.99 to $14.99 per month.
Canary also provides an affordable payment model. When you receive Canary’s equipment, you technically rent the equipment for a monthly fee rather than pay for it all at once.
Our Take on Canary Home Security
- Superlative: Best for Two-Way Audio
- Recommended Package: We suggest Canary’s Starter Pack, which includes intelligent cameras that feature motion detection, night vision, and a built-in siren. Canary’s Premium Service plan will add two-way audio to this package.
We recommend Canary for tech-minded homeowners looking for the best home security systems with cameras. We find the HD two-way Canary Talk feature paired with live video on Canary’s mobile app particularly impressive. It lets you communicate remotely by speaking into the Canary app on your mobile device and having the audio play out of your Canary device’s speaker.
Canary does not offer separate motion sensors in its packages. Its system uses “computer vision” to register changes in on-screen pixels, registering pixel changes as motion. Canary’s computer vision algorithms then try to filter out repetitive motion from things like ceiling fans, or background motion like lights and shadows to provide you with intelligent notifications.
Canary is also perfect for outdoor monitoring with night vision in all of its packages.
See what home security system package Canary can provide you by visiting here.
To Learn More: Canary Home Security Review
Scout Alarm provides another great option for DIY home security systems that allows you to avoid a long-term contract. The Scout Elements Package comes with the best alarm system with disaster prevention tools such as a smoke alarm and water sensor to help you catch fires or flood damage early. The company also provides some great perks, such as a 60-day return policy and a three-year warranty.
Scout Packages & Pricing
|Feature||Scout Small Pack||Scout Large Pack||Scout Elements Pack||Scout Architect Pack|
|Glass Break Sensor||✗||✗||✗||✔|
|Motion Sensor||✔ 1||✔ 2||✔ 1||✔ 1|
|Access Sensors||✔ 1||✔ 5||✔ 4||✔ 4|
|Key Fobs||✔ 2||✔ 2||✔ 2||✔ 2|
Scout offers four packages, and it also allows customers to build their own security package. Scout’s security system is based on sensors and alarms rather than cameras. Every package also comes with a yard sign and door panel.
Scout’s prices run from $222 to $5,549 for equipment. Its monthly monitoring costs are either $9.99 for the Always On plan or $19.99 for the Always On+ plan.
Our Take on Scout Alarm Home Security
- Superlative: Best for Disaster Prevention
- Recommended Package: We recommend the Scout Large Pack, which includes enough sensors to cover your entire home. We also suggest the Always On+ Plan to receive professional monitoring with police and fire dispatch for a complete disaster prevention system.
Scout is a fairly inclusive home security company. It assists with smart-home automation with platforms like Amazon Alexa, and it provides a 60-day free-return policy. Though Scout charges for self-monitoring through the Scout mobile app, customers can save money with free shipping on orders over $200. Similar to Alder, Scout features a variety of equipment outside of ones that help with break-ins.
Since it offers impressive disaster protection equipment, it’s one of the best home security systems for homes in areas prone to floods, wildfires, or other natural disasters.
See how Scout can help with your home’s disaster prevention by learning more on the company’s website here.
To Learn More: Scout Alarm Home Security Review
Blue by ADT
Blue by ADT is ADT’s DIY home security service and is a great starting place for those interested in going the DIY route. With its base package, customers receive two security cameras, a video doorbell, and an optional sensor. Customers can also take advantage of other useful features, such as local video storage options and facial recognition technology.
Blue by ADT Packages & Pricing
Blue by ADT offers four package options. Each package features a number of security cameras, alarm sensors and other equipment that you can mix and match to fit your home’s security needs.
Blue by ADT costs $109.19 to $349.99 up-front for an equipment package. Customers decide on either $2.99 or $12.99 per month for cloud storage. Customers can either self-monitor for no additional cost, or they can opt for a monthly $19.99 professional monitoring service.
Our Take on Blue by ADT
- Superlative: Best for Beginners
- Recommended Package: We suggest you look into the Build-Your-Own Package with Blue by ADT. This option gives you some control over your total equipment cost and allows you to choose the right equipment for your home and family’s security needs.
Blue by ADT is a great option for anyone starting with home security. The company offers simple package options with plenty of customization and flexibility. Customers get access to a user-friendly mobile app, ADT monitoring service without the lengthy contract, and a 30-day free trial for professional monitoring. Blue by ADT’s equipment is simple and easy-to-use making it a prime choice for home security beginners.
To Learn More: Blue by ADT Review
Additional Home Alarm Systems
Of course, the listed providers are only some of the best home security companies to choose from. Here are a few other home security companies that may have an alarm system that’s right for you.
- Ring: Known primarily for its video doorbell cameras, Ring also offers a range of cameras and other security equipment. Ring may be best for those on a budget looking for the best home alarm systems, since the company offers some of the most affordable systems in the industry.
- Google Nest: Google offers home alarm systems that easily integrates with its other smart home products, which is great if you rely on your Google Assistant for home automation.
- Blink: If security cameras are your main concern, check out Blink’s products for night vision, motion activation, indoor/outdoor monitoring, and more.
- Xfinity Home: Xfinity customers can receive a discount by bundling the company’s best security system with its phone, internet, and cable services. If you only want to pay one bill for all of the above, you may want to give this company a shot.
Check out some of the current deals offered by some of the top home security system providers:
- ADT: $100 Visa® Reward Card with purchase
- SimpliSafe: save 20% with 24/7 professional monitoring, get one free month of professional monitoring, and a free HD camera with your package
- Abode: 15% off accessories with purchase of a starter kit
- Frontpoint: Save 25% on monthly payments and get a free doorbell camera
- Alder: 50% off an outdoor camera
- Canary: Free HD camera with night vision in every package
- Blue by ADT: First month of 24/7 professional monitoring free with purchase of a plan
Our Rating Methodology
The This Old House Reviews team is committed to providing comprehensive and unbiased home security system reviews to our readers. This means earning your trust through transparent reviews and having the data to back up our ratings and recommendations.
Our Reviews Team reviewed 32 companies and spent 744 hours researching and testing products and services to help us compare home security systems. We compare key factors such as package options, cost, reliability, and ease of use. Our rating system for home security providers is on a 100-point scale based on 10 factors:
- Number of systems (5): Does the company offer a variety of systems? Do they restrict their package options due to a lack of diverse equipment? Does the company allow the customer to build their own system?
- Special features (10): What features does the company offer that set it apart from other home security systems or providers? Is there anything included in the company’s monitoring services that other providers do not offer?
- Installation options (5): Does the company offer professional installation? Does the company require professional installation? Can the customer install the system themselves?
- Connectivity and smart-home automation (15): Can the security system integrate with popular smart-home platforms such as Google Assistant and Amazon Alexa? Does the company offer equipment to assist with smart-home automation features including smart thermometers and smart lighting?
- Pricing (15): Does the company offer competitive pricing for its equipment and services when compared with other companies on the market?
- Contract period (5): Does the company offer a short contract period? Does it require a long contract period? Can the customer avoid a contract altogether?
- Warranty (15): What warranties or guarantees does the company place on its equipment? How many warranties are included for each customer, and how long do the warranties last?
- Trial period (15): Does the company offer a trial period? If so, how long is that trial period? Is the trial period long enough for the customer to learn if they enjoy the security system or not?
- Usability (5): Are the company’s equipment and services user-friendly enough for the average consumer to use them without hassle?
- Trustworthiness (10): How long has the company been in business? What do popular customer review sites state about the company? Does the company have any pending legal action?
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews team at email@example.com.