Frontpoint and Vivint are two prominent home security companies that sell security equipment and plans in the U.S. and Canada. In this article, the This Old House Reviews Team analyzes both providers’ equipment, professional monitoring plans, and pricing in order to provide a Frontpoint vs. Vivint comparison to help you determine which offers the best home security to suits your needs.
Frontpoint has a much longer trial period and sells more affordable security equipment than Vivint. However, Vivint provides professional installation and offers less expensive monitoring plans. Both Frontpoint and Vivint offer video surveillance, smart home compatibility, and multiple security packages.
Frontpoint vs. Vivint: Side-by-Side Comparison
|Get a Free Quote||Visit site||Visit site|
|This Old House Rating||9.7 / 10||8.5 / 10|
|Monthly Monitoring Cost||$44.99–$49.99||$29.99–$44.99|
|Contract Length||Month-to-month||None if equipment is purchased upfront|
|Trial Period||30 days||3 days|
|Mobile App Access||✔||✔|
|Smart Home Compatibility||✔||✔|
|Video Streaming Capability||✔||✔|
Frontpoint vs. Vivint: Overview
Founded in 2007, Frontpoint is recognized as the first nationwide home security company to include smart security in every system. Frontpoint has been awarded for its top-notch customer service, and our Reviews Team named it one of the best home security companies of 2020.
To learn more about Frontpoint, view plans and security packages here.
Founded in 1999, Vivint is recognized for its in-house equipment development and professional monitoring services. Vivint was listed among Fast Company’s 50 Most Innovative Companies in 2017, and our Reviews Team named this company among the top home security companies in the industry.
To learn more about Vivint home security, view plans and packages here.
Frontpoint vs. Vivint: Pros & Cons
Frontpoint Pros & Cons
✔ DIY installation
✔ Equipment is very affordable
✔ Lengthy trial period
✔ Month-to-month contract length
✔ 24/7 professional monitoring
✘ Professional monitoring plans are more expensive than others
✘ Doesn’t offer option of professional installation
✘ Limited customer support hours of operation
✘ Professional monitoring is performed by a third party
✘ Not available in Las Vegas or Henderson, NV, nor in the Canadian province of Quebec.
Vivint Pros & Cons
✔ Over 20 years of experience in the home security industry
✔ Sales representatives are also the installers, so they have a thorough understanding of the company’s systems
✔ Security system be controlled via voice, key fob, or mobile app
✔ Integrates with a variety of smart home devices
✔ In-house, 24/7 professional monitoring
✘ Trial period is very short
✘ No option for DIY installation
✘ Only the premium security package comes with video monitoring
✘ Equipment cost is high compared to other home security providers
✘ Not available in Maine and only available in limited Canada provinces
Frontpoint vs. Vivint: Packages
Both Frontpoint and Vivint offer a variety of security and life safety devices for homeowners. Learn more about each company’s equipment below.
|Feature||"Safe Home Starter" Package||"Safe Home Everyday" Package||"Safe Home Select" Package||"Safe Home Preferred" Package|
|Hub and Keypad||✔ 1 included||✔ 1 included||✔ 1 included||✔ 1 included|
|Door/Window Sensor||✔ 2 included||✔ 3 included||✔ 4 included||✔ 5 included|
|Motion Sensor||✔ 1 included||✔ 2 included||✔ 2 included||✔ 2 included|
|Glass Break Sensor||–||–||✔||✔|
|Smoke and Heat Sensor||–||–||✔||✔|
Frontpoint offers five different equipment packages: Safe Home Starter, Build Your Own package, Safe Home Everyday, Safe Home Select, and Safe Home Preferred.
- Safe Home Starter: Includes one Frontpoint hub and Frontpoint keypad, two door/window sensors, one motion sensor, one yard sign, one set of window decals, and one door sticker.
- Safe Home Everyday: Includes nine items—compared with the Safe Home Starter package, this plan offers one additional door/window sensor and one additional motion sensor.
- Safe Home Select: Includes 12 items—a smoke and heat sensor and a glass break sensor, along with four door/window sensors.
- Safe Home Preferred: Frontpoint’s premium package, comes with 14 items. This is the only package that comes with an indoor camera for video monitoring, and it includes five different door/window sensors.
- Build Your Own: This security package lets homeowners purchase the security items they want separately.
Here are the security items the company sells, broken down by category:
- Control Panel: Frontpoint Touchscreen, extra keypad
- Intrusion: Door/window sensor, motion sensor, glass break sensor, garage door tilt sensor
- Environmental: Smoke and heat sensor, carbon monoxide sensor, flood sensor
- Cameras: Indoor camera, doorbell camera, outdoor camera, premium indoor camera
- Home Automation: Smart door lock, wireless light control, light bulb
- Accessories: Keychain remote, panic pendant, yard sign, window decals, door stickers
|Feature||"Vivint Smart Hub Starter Kit" Package||"Home Security System" Package||"Smart Home Control" Package||"Video Security" Package||"Smart Complete" Package|
|Smart Entry Sensors (2)||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔|
|Smart Smoke Detector||-||✔||✔||-||✔|
|Smart Garage Door Opener||-||-||✔||-||✔|
|Ping Indoor Camera||-||-||-||✔||✔|
Vivint sells five different equipment bundles. The company allows homeowners to purchase extra cameras, sensors, and detectors as needed with these bundles.
- Smart Hub Starter Kit: Vivint’s most basic equipment package. The most significant item it includes is the Smart Hub, the touch screen panel that is the command center of the security system. It also includes two smart entry sensors, one motion sensor, one water sensor, and $100 toward additional sensors.
- Home Security System Bundle: Includes everything in the Smart Hub Starter kit plus a smart smoke detector that is capable of unlocking smart locks in case of an alarm. This equipment bundle is designed for homeowners that subscribe to the company’s Smart Security plan.
- Smart Home Control Bundle: Contains everything in the plans above plus a smart garage door opener, a smart door lock, and a smart thermostat. This bundle is designed for homeowners who subscribe to the company’s Smart Home Control plan.
- Video Security Bundle: Includes everything in the Smart Hub Starter Kit, plus an indoor camera, outdoor security camera, and a video doorbell. It also comes with Vivint Smart Drive, a storage device that saves all playback recordings. This bundle is designed for homeowners who subscribe to the company’s Smart Home Video plan.
- Smart Complete Bundle: The most comprehensive equipment bundle, Vivint’s Smart Complete bundle includes everything in the Smart Home Control bundle plus the security devices in the Video Security bundle.
Frontpoint vs. Vivint: Monitoring Plans
Frontpoint and Vivint both offer multiple professional monitoring plans that homeowners can choose from. Below, we cover the benefits that come with each plan.
Frontpoint Monitoring Plans
|Features||Interactive Plan||Ultimate Plan|
|100% wireless & cellular||✓||✓|
|24/7 professional monitoring||✓||✓|
|Automated system check||✓||✓|
|Crash and smash protection||✓||✓|
|Expandable and portable||✓||✓|
|Mobile alert and notifications via email and text||✓||✓|
|Remote access and control||✓||✓|
|Unique user codes||✓||✓|
|Motion triggered alerts||✓|
|Night vision enabled||✓|
|Live video streaming||✓|
|Smart lock control||✓|
|Video and image history||✓|
Vivint Monitoring Plans
|Features||Smart Security Plan||Smart Home Plan||Smart Home Video Plan|
|24/7 professional monitoring||✓||✓||✓|
|Smoke and CO monitoring||✓||✓||✓|
|Medical alert system||✓||✓||✓|
|Smart home features and integrations||✓||✓|
Frontpoint vs. Vivint: Pricing
In terms of pricing, Frontpoint’s equipment is more affordable than Vivint, but Vivint’s professional monitoring plans are less expensive than Frontpoint.
|Pricing||"Safe Home Starter" Package||"Safe Home Everyday" Package||"Safe Home Select" Package||"Safe Home Preferred" Package|
|Price with Monthly Financing||$17.00||$25.00||$32.00||$40.00|
Frontpoint’s pricing is relatively straightforward and can be viewed in the tables below. Homeowners who choose the company’s Build Your Own package can calculate their anticipated cost using the prices listed on the company’s website.
Frontpoint charges $44.99 per month for its Interactive plan and $49.99 per month for its Ultimate plan.
|Pricing||"SkyControl Starter Kit" Package||"Home Security System" Package||"Smart Home Control" Package||"Video Security" Package||"Smart Complete" Package|
|Optional Monthly Financing Cost||$9.98||$11.83||$17.50||$23.00||$29.83|
Vivint gives homeowners a few options in terms of pricing structure. If homeowners pay for all of their equipment upfront, they can pay month-to-month for monitoring services. If they want to finance their equipment, they will need to bundle it with monitoring services and sign a five-year contract with a monthly payment.
Here are the prices for Vivint’s monitoring services:
- “Smart Security” Monitoring Plan: $29.99/month
- “Smart Home” Monitoring Plan: $39.99/month
- “Smart Home Video” Monitoring Plan: $44.99/month
Both Frontpoint and Vivint have solid reputations and offer a variety of equipment packages and professional monitoring plans. If you’re looking for a provider that offers professional monitoring but prefer DIY installation, consider Frontpoint. If you’d like professional monitoring and installation, then Vivint may be the better option.
To get a free quote from Frontpoint or Vivint, use the tool below.
If you’re not sure whether Frontpoint or Vivint is right for you, see other top-rated security providers in the table below.
Compare Top-Rated Home Security Providers
|Get A Free Quote||View Plans||View Plans||View Plans|
|Equipment Prices||$149–$1,249||Bundled with contract||$200+|
|Monitoring Prices (Per Month)||$6.00-$20.00||$29+||$15.00–$25.00|
|Contract Required||No contract||36 month contract||No contract|
|Smart Home Compatibility||✔||✔||✔|
|Mobile App Access||✔||✔||✔ With interactive monitoring|
|Video Surveillance||✔||✔||✔ With SimpliCam purchase|
|Video Streaming Capability||✔||✔||✔ With SimpliCam purchase|
Frequently Asked Questions
Compare More Home Security Systems:
Our Rating Methodology
The This Old House Reviews Team is committed to providing comprehensive and unbiased reviews to our readers. This means earning your trust through transparent reviews and having the data to back up our ratings and recommendations. Our rating system for home security providers is on a 100-point scale based on 10 factors:
- Number of systems (5)
- Special features (10)
- Installation options (5)
- Connectivity and smart home automation (15)
- Pricing (15)
- Contract period (5)
- Warranty (15)
- Trial period (15)
- Usability (5)
- Trustworthiness (10)
Our team reviewed 32 companies and spent 744 hours researching and testing out products to help us compare home security systems on key factors such as package options, cost, reliability, and ease of use. Read more on our methodology here.
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.