Frontpoint and SimpliSafe are both DIY security systems that require no long-term contracts and are capable of integrating with smart home devices. In this Frontpoint vs. SimpliSafe comparison, the This Old House Reviews Team examines both companies’ professional monitoring plans, cost, and security equipment to help you decide which would provide the best home security for you.
Between the two companies, SimpliSafe also offers a longer trial period and is less expensive. However, Frontpoint offers outdoor cameras and free video recording storage with its top monitoring plan.
Compare Frontpoint vs. SimpliSafe
Frontpoint vs. SimpliSafe Overview
- Highly regarded customer support team and mobile application
- Free video recording storage
- Affordable equipment packages
With over 20 years of experience in the home security industry, Frontpoint was the first nationwide home security company to include smart security in all of its systems. Frontpoint has also been recognized for its outstanding customer service and intuitive, self-guided setup app.
Founded in 2006, SimpliSafe was the first home security company to offer professional monitoring plans without the burden of a long-term contract. Today, SimpliSafe protects over three million Americans and also sells its security system in the United Kingdom.
What Do Frontpoint and SimpliSafe Have in Common?
Frontpoint and SimpliSafe share many commonalities. Here are the most important ones to know:
- DIY Installation: Both Frontpoint and SimpliSafe are designed for simple setup by homeowners.
- No contracts: Neither Frontpoint nor SimpliSafe requires a long-term contract for professional monitoring.
- Smart home compatibility and access: SimpliSafe and Frontpoint can both be used with smart home devices, but both companies require the purchase of a monitoring plan for this capability.
- Video surveillance and video streaming: Homeowners interested in video surveillance and video streaming can get both of these features with either provider.
How Are Frontpoint and SimpliSafe Different?
Here are a few points of contrast between these two home security companies:
- Professional monitoring fees: Professional monitoring plans from Frontpoint cost significantly more than professional monitoring plans from SimpliSafe.
- Outdoor camera: Only Frontpoint sells an outdoor camera.
- Trial period: SimpliSafe offers a much longer trial period than Frontpoint offers.
- Remote control: SimpliSafe requires homeowners to purchase a monitoring plan in order to remotely control their system.
- Video storage fees: Frontpoint offers free video recording storage, and SimpliSafe charges $4.99 per month.
Frontpoint vs. SimpliSafe Packages
Five different security equipment packages are offered by Frontpoint: Safe Home Starter, Safe Home Everyday, Safe Home Select, Safe Home Preferred, and Build-Your-Own. Learn what each package includes below.
- “Safe Home Starter” Package: The Safe Home Starter package includes seven items, including one Frontpoint hub & Frontpoint keypad, two door/window sensors, one motion sensor, one yard sign, one set of window decals, and one door sticker.
- “Safe Home Everyday” Package: The Safe Home Everyday package includes everything in the Safe Home Starter package plus an additional motion sensor and door/window sensor.
- “Safe Home Select” Package: The Safe Home Select package includes everything in the Safe Home Everyday package, plus an additional door/window sensor, a glass break sensor, and a smoke and heat sensor.
- “Safe Home Preferred” Package: Frontpoint’s premium package comes with the 14 items and is the only package that comes with an indoor camera for video monitoring.
- Build-Your-Own Package: The Build-Your-Own package lets homeowners purchase security items on an a la carte basis. The available security items for purchase include a touchscreen control panel and extra keypad, a door/window sensor, motion sensor, glass break sensor, garage door tilt sensor.
You can also purchase environmental equipment such as a smoke and heat sensor, flood sensor, and carbon monoxide sensor. You can purchase cameras including a doorbell camera, outdoor camera, indoor camera, or Frontpoint’s premium indoor camera.
There is also home automation that you can purchase, such as wireless light control, a smart door lock, and smart light bulbs. Other accessories include a panic pendant, yard sign, window decal, keychain remote, and door stickers.
Five different security packages are offered by SimpliSafe: The Foundation, The Essentials, The Hearth, The Knox, and The Haven. Most of these items can also be purchased on an a la carte basis.
SimpliSafe also offers additional devices: Extra motion sensors and entry sensors, glass break sensors, SimpliCam indoor security camera, smart locks
Frontpoint vs. SimpliSafe: Doorbell Comparison
Frontpoint’s professional monitoring plans are quite expensive, but the company’s equipment packages are reasonably priced for the value they provide. View the company’s monitoring cost and equipment cost below.
Frontpoint charges $44.99 per month for its Interactive plan and $49.99 per month for its Ultimate plan.
SimpliSafe’s cost consists of the cost of the company’s equipment and the cost of professional monitoring services. Here are the details on both:
Two professional monitoring plans are offered by SimpliSafe: a Standard Plan and an Interactive Plan. With the Standard Plan, the base station is simply connected to a monitoring center. The Interactive Plan gives homeowners access to alert notifications and the company’s mobile application. The Standard Plan costs $14.99 per month, and the Interactive Plan costs $24.99 per month.
Homeowners who purchase the company’s equipment with a professional monitoring plan receive a 20% discount.
Frontpoint vs. SimpliSafe: How Does It Work?
How Does Frontpoint Work?
The Frontpoint Hub is the command center of your security system and should be placed on a level surface away from other metal devices. You can plug your hub into the nearest wall socket using the power cable. The hub will show a white light temporarily before it turns green. Once the light turns green, it is ready for use. The Frontpoint Hub shows four different colors based on its status: Blue Light (System needs attention), Red Light (Arm away), Yellow Light (Arm stay), and Green Light (Disarmed)
How Does SimpliSafe Work?
To install SimpliSafe, homeowners simply plug in their Base Station and place the wireless sensors around their home. When the sensors are triggered, a siren will sound, and SimpliSafe’s monitoring center will be contacted in homes which have professional monitoring.
Frontpoint and SimpliSafe are both reputable home security companies and stand among the best home security companies named by our Reviews Team. We recommend SimpliSafe for homeowners who do not need an outdoor camera and would like to save money on their monitoring plan. Frontpoint is a better option for homeowners who would like an outdoor camera and plenty of video recording storage.
If you’re not sure whether Frontpoint or SimpliSafe is right for you, compare them to other top-rated security providers in the industry below.
Compare Top-Rated Home Security Providers
Frequently Asked Questions
Compare Home Security Systems:
Our Rating Methodology
The This Old House Reviews Team backs up our home security recommendations with a detailed rating methodology that we use to objectively score each provider. Our research includes analyzing product specifications, reviewing service and plan information, speaking with customer service representatives, and analyzing customer reviews. We then score the provider against our review standards for system options, special features, installation options, connectivity and smart-home automation features, pricing, contract terms, warranty, usability, availability of a trial period, and trustworthiness to arrive at a final score out of 100.
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at email@example.com.