This Old House Rating: 9.3 / 10
Scout Home Security offers DIY security solutions for customers who don’t want to be locked into a contract. Through four unique security packages and two monitoring plans, Scout gives customers a choice in how they want to secure their home. Offering 60-day free returns, a three-year warranty, and free shipping on orders of $200 or more, Scout Home Security systems are adaptable and are able to change as you do.
Read on to learn more about Scout’s home security bundles, pricing, and professional monitoring plans, and determine if this is the best home security company for you.
Our Take on Scout Home Security
We rated Scout Home Security a 9.3 out of 10. The provider has a variety of home security packages and gives customers the option to create a customized security package. On the other hand, Scout only has around five years of experience and isn’t accredited or rated by the Better Business Bureau (BBB).
Pros & Cons of Scout Home Security
✔ 60-day free returns
✔ 3-year warranty on equipment
✔ Compatible with voice assistants like Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant
✘ Charges for self-monitoring through the Scout app
✘ Limited devices offered in most basic package
✘ Doesn’t offer professional installation
Scout Home Security Packages
Scout Home Security has four security packages for customers to select from. If the packages don’t contain what you need, or if you need additional items, Scout gives a fifth option to build your own package.
Scout Home Security Package Comparison
|Feature||Scout Small Pack||Scout Large Pack||Scout Elements Pack||Scout Architect Pack|
|Best for||Affordability||Larger Homes||Disaster Prevention||Complete Coverage|
|Glass break sensor||✗||✗||✗||✔|
|Motion sensor||✔ 1||✔ 2||✔ 1||✔ 1|
|Access sensors||✔ 1||✔ 5||✔ 4||✔ 4|
|Key fobs||✔ 2||✔ 2||✔ 2||✔ 2|
- “Scout Small Pack” Package: This is the company’s most affordable system and includes eight items. It contains the items needed to start your DIY security system, including motion and access sensors. The pack also comes with two key fobs so you can easily arm and disarm the system. This pack is best-suited for those who want basic security coverage or live in a smaller home.
- “Scout Large Pack” Package: If you need to secure a larger area in your house or your home has multiple access points, the Scout Large Pack offers a security solution that covers all your bases. Equipped with more than twice the access sensors of the Scout Small Pack, this bundle gives you peace of mind that all areas of your home will remain secure.
- “Scout Elements Pack” Package: This package couples home security with disaster prevention. The package comes with a smoke alarm and water sensor to help you catch costly fires or flood damage before it gets out of hand.
- “Scout Architect Pack” Package: This is designed to be Scout’s most comprehensive home security offering. Coupling all the devices included in the Scout Small Pack, the Architect Pack adds on additional security measures like a smart lock and glass break sensor.
- “Build Your System” Package: For customers who want a more customized alarm system for their home, Scout offers the ability to create your own system. Once you select your Scout Hub, you can pick as many devices as you want and build a system to fit your home security needs. You can choose from the following 18 items when you build your own system: Door panel, Access sensor, Motion sensor, Scout indoor camera, Scout video doorbell, Keypad, Smoke alarm, Water sensor, Glass break sensor, Door lock, Yard sign, Panic button, Remote control, Siren and Zigbee repeater, Window sticker, Key fob, and a RFID sticker.
Scout Home Security Monitoring Plans
|Features||"Always On+" Plan||"Always On" Plan|
|24/7 professional monitoring||✔||--|
|Police and fire dispatch||✔||--|
|4G LTE cellular and battery backup||✔||✔|
|Scout mobile app for iOS and Android||✔||✔|
|Push notifications to mobile devices||✔||✔|
|SMS and phone call alerts||✔||✔|
|No annual contract||✔||✔|
|Cloud storage for first camera or doorbell||✔||--|
|Option to add camera cloud storage for $2.99||✔||✔|
Scout Home Security gives you the option of purchasing a self-monitored or professional-monitored home security plan. Each plan comes with features like 4G LTE cellular, battery backup, and no annual contract.
Scout Home Security Pricing
Here’s an overview of Scout’s package pricing:
Scout Home Security Package Pricing
|Pack||Number of Items Included||Price|
|Scout Small Pack||8||$222.00|
|Scout Large Pack||12||$319.00|
|Scout Elements Pack||12||$349.00|
|Scout Architect Pack||12||$549.00|
Here’s a look at the cost of Scout’s home security plans:
Scout Home Security Monitoring Plan Pricing
|Plan||Cost per month||Cost per year|
Scout Home Security Warranties
Scout offers a 60-day return policy for all hardware purchased through the company. Customers receive a prepaid return label and a full refund upon Scout receiving the return. Scout offers a three-year warranty on all defective devices, shipping a replacement to customers free of charge.
Scout offers customer service from 9 am until 6 pm CST seven days a week. In addition to phone support, Scout supports customers via email and created a Scout Knowledge Base, where customers can look at user manuals and frequently asked questions.
Scout Home Security Reviews
As a relatively new DIY home security provider with just over five years of experience, Scout hasn’t opened an account with the BBB and therefore has no rating.
The This Old House Reviews Team gives Scout Home Security a 9.3 out of 10. Scout offers affordable DIY security packages that cover the basics when it comes to home security. If you want more than just an average security system, Scout lets you supplement their packages with additional devices or build your own system. Although Scout lets you self-monitor, the provider does charge for this feature unlike many other DIY home alarm system companies.
Scout Home Security vs. Competitors
If you’re still unsure if Scout is right for you, compare it to other top-rated security companies in the industry.
Top-Rated Alternatives to Scout
|Get a free quote||View Plans||View Plans||View Plans|
|Equipment prices||$149.00–$1,249.00||$599.00 and up||Bundled with contract|
|Monitoring prices (per month)||$6.00-$20.00||$40.00 and up||$29.00 and up|
|Contract required||No||No||36 months|
|Professional installation||Yes||Pricing by quote||$99.00 and up|
|DIY installation||Yes||Not available||Not available|
|Mobile app access||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Smart home compatibility||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Video surveillance||Yes||With camera purchase||Available|
|Video streaming capability||Yes||With camera purchase||Available|
|Money-back guarantee||No||Warranty only||6 months (installation and monitoring fees)|
Frequently Asked Questions about Scout Home Security
Our Rating Methodology
The This Old House Reviews Team is committed to providing comprehensive and unbiased reviews to our readers. This means earning your trust through transparent reviews and having the data to back up our ratings and recommendations. Our rating system for home security providers is on a 100-point scale based on 10 factors:
- Number of systems (5)
- Special features (10)
- Installation options (5)
- Connectivity and smart home automation (15)
- Pricing (15)
- Contract period (5)
- Warranty (15)
- Trial period (15)
- Usability (5)
- Trustworthiness (10)
Our team reviewed 32 companies and spent 744 hours researching and testing out products to help us compare home security systems on key factors such as package options, cost, reliability, and ease of use. Read more on our methodology here.
More on Home Security Systems:
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.