With more than 145 years of experience and millions of customers worldwide, ADT has been helping to protect homes longer than any other security company. ADT offers home security systems tailored specifically to your home and budget, and it offers 24/7 professional monitoring service.
Read on to learn more about the customized packages offered by ADT and determine if this is the best home security system for you.
Our Take on ADT Home Security
We rated ADT Home Security a 9.1 out of 10 and named it the best overall home security system. It operates the largest national network of professional monitoring centers and offers a six-month, money-back guarantee to customers (certain restrictions apply).
Pros and Cons of ADT Home Security
*Requires 36-month monitoring contract. Early termination and installation fees apply. New customers only. Reward card issued by Pathward, N.A., Member FDIC. Card terms and expiration apply. Read full terms and conditions.
ADT Packages and Equipment
ADT uses high-quality equipment in their home security packages. Compare ADT Home Security equipment and packages below to help you determine which one is right for you and your home.
Note: The following packages and prices are for professionally installed systems only. For DIY installation information, get a quote by filling out this online form.
ADT Package Comparison
|24/7 Professional Monitoring||✔||✔||✔|
|24/7 Fire, Flood, & Carbon Monoxide Monitoring||✔||✔||✔|
|ADT+ Mobile App||✔||✔||✔|
|Alexa Guard / Voice Control Integration (with Amazon Alexa)||–||✔||✔|
|ADT Mobile App and Remote Access||–||✔||✔|
|Video Surveillance (Motion activated + alerts)||–||–||✔|
|Stored Video Clips (Up to 8 cameras)||–||–||–|
ADT offers comprehensive package options paired with excellent security monitoring services. Whether you choose a starter alarm system in ADT’s Basic package, or video and surveillance options in the Complete package, ADT offers plenty of options for every homeowner’s security needs.
The company features a smartphone app which allows you to remotely arm and disarm your system. The app also lets you integrate with smart-home devices, such as Amazon Alexa and Google Home. The Video and Complete packages allow you to view a live video feed and record motion-activated clips.
Note: A 36-month monitoring agreement is required for customers (24 months for California residents).
When becoming an ADT customer, the essential equipment to get you started include a control panel, key fob, window sensors, and motion sensors. With a package upgrade, you can add on indoor and outdoor cameras and smart-home devices. Here’s an overview of different security equipment offered.
- Keypad Panel: This LED control panel allows you to control your entire home security system. It gives you the ability to arm and disarm alarms from one centralized location.
- Motion Sensor: This sensor is designed to detect human movements instead of pets, preventing false alarms.
- Door and Window Sensors: These sensors let you know if someone is entering or leaving your home.
- Key fob: All security systems come with a key fob to disarm and arm your home while you’re on the go.
- Smart Plugs: Smart plugs and switches allow you to control lights and switch them on and off remotely. Plug the smart plug into an outlet and connect it to your lamp or small appliance.
- Smart Lock: You can lock and unlock your door remotely with this smart lock. You can set individual PINs for family members or anyone that needs access to your home. You can also receive text or email alerts of people who have entered your home.
- ADT Video Doorbell: This doorbell from ADT provides motion-triggered HD video and 2-way audio to help you monitor front door activity.
- ADT Security Cameras: With the choice of a video doorbell, outdoor, or indoor camera, ADT security cameras allow you to check in with your home from virtually anywhere. You can also receive access to features such as HD video, motion-activated recordings, and two-way audio.
- Garage-Door Security: This sensor is installed on your garage door’s interior to let you monitor when your garage door moves, as well as integrate your garage door for smart home automation.
- Smoke Detector: This device detects rapidly rising temperatures and sends alerts to you and an ADT monitoring center about the presence of smoke in your home. They can also be enhanced to avoid false alarms from cooking smoke.
- Flood Detector: This device can detect leaks in your basement, near your dishwasher, or anywhere else a leak may occur. They also integrate with the ADT app and are completely wireless.
- ADT Mobile App: Access to the app is available with all packages except The Essentials package. This mobile app gives you remote access to view live video feed from security cameras and allows you to arm and disarm your security system and control smart devices.
The cost of any home security plan may include a few different elements: equipment, monitoring (unless you choose to self-monitor), installation, and activation.
Professional monitoring with ADT costs $45.99–$59.99 per month. This does not include the equipment installation cost, which can be paid up-front or through monthly financing**. The installation fees will vary based on the system, package, and equipment.
**Financing requires 0% APR with equal monthly payments based on term/equipment selected. Well-qualified credit. Taxes additional. Early term fees apply. Read full terms and pricing.
|Pricing||Build Your Own||Smart Home||Video and Smart Home|
|Monthly for 60 months||$55.97||$64||$74.14|
Note that the prices in the table above are the starting point for prices. Packages can be customized, and your price will vary according to the customizations you choose.
ADT’s monthly monitoring plans start at these prices:
- Build Your Own: $45.99
- Smart Home: $49.99
- Video and Smart Home: $59.99
ADT offers DIY or professional installation for your security system. The cost of professional installation will ultimately depend on the package and equipment you choose. The installation process usually takes over an hour to complete.
ADT’s installation process includes:
- A certified Security Advisor will arrive at your home to discuss security options, complete a risk assessment of your space, and customize a home security system that fits your needs.
- ADT technicians will verify the placement of the security equipment and install your security system’s components and keep you updated throughout the process.
- Once the installation is complete, the Security Advisor will offer an in-home tutorial of how your system works. They will also help you set up your mobile app and answer any questions you may have about your system.
ADT Smart-Home Automation
ADT offers smart-home functionality with both its Smart package and Complete packages. ADT includes a smart lock and smart plug with both of these home security systems. To compare packages and get a free quote, fill out this simple online form.
If ADT is unable to resolve any system-related issue during the six months following installation, you may receive a refund. The refund amount will include the installation price and all monitoring fees you paid within the first six months.*
ADT also offers a Theft Protection Guarantee—if your home is burglarized while your ADT system is armed, ADT will pay up to $500 of your insurance deductible.*
*Certain restrictions apply.
ADT is accredited by the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and has an A rating. This high rating comes from the BBB’s opinion of how ADT is likely to interact with its customers. It’s based on information the BBB is able to obtain about the business, including public complaints.
Common complaints from customers include difficulty canceling. Here’s a sampling of ADT reviews from its BBB page:
“I really have had no issues with ADT. They are responsive, helpful, and always available. They negotiate billing and they don’t try to sell you stuff you don’t need. Most reviews in here are people who don’t read their contract or even remember what they read when signing. I still have all my paperwork of the day I signed and updates.” —David L., December 9, 2022
“I had ADT for several years and was happy with their service and the technicians were very knowledgeable, however, I moved and canceled my service with them three times over a 6 month period and they continue to bill me every month. They owe me approximately $400 and still have not successfully canceled my service, nor have they credited my credit card. I finally had to cancel my credit card so they’d stop billing me. Very unprofessional.” —Rachel D., January 15, 2023
The This Old House Reviews Team rated ADT Home Security a 9.1 out of 10. ADT is a great option for homeowners looking for a professionally installed and monitored home security system. It’s also a great option if you want to use an Amazon Alexa to arm or disarm your security system.
ADT might not be right for you if you don’t want to commit to a three-year contract. Additionally, it might not be the best option for those looking for a DIY security system.
For more information, view the company’s plans or contact a representative at 888-285-6952. If you’re still unsure which package is right for you, compare the different packages below.
ADT vs. Competitors
|Monthly Monitoring Cost||$28.99+||$40+||$6–$20||$15–$25/month|
|Contract Length||36 months||No contract required||No contract required||No contract required|
|Trial Period||None||Three days||Seven days||60 days|
|Installation||DIY or Professional||Professional||DIY or Professional||Professional ($79)|
*Better Business Bureau (BBB) ratings accurate as of May 2022.
Frequently Asked Questions
Our Rating Methodology
The This Old House Reviews Team backs up our home security recommendations with a detailed rating methodology that we use to objectively score each provider. Our research includes analyzing product specifications, reviewing service and plan information, speaking with customer service representatives, and analyzing customer reviews. We then score the provider against our review standards for system options, special features, installation options, connectivity and smart-home automation features, pricing, contract terms, warranty, usability, availability of a trial period, and trustworthiness to arrive at a final score out of 100.
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at email@example.com.