Many homeowners and renters are no longer interested in traditional security systems that require professional installation and lengthy monitoring contracts. To fill this void, several DIY home security companies like Frontpoint have popped up.
For the past 13 years, Frontpoint has provided self-installable security equipment and recently did away with contracts. In this Frontpoint review, we’ll break down everything the company offers to help you determine if it is the best home security provider for you.
Our Take on Frontpoint Home Security
Based on Frontpoint reviews and in-depth research, we rated the company a 9.7 out of 10 and consider it the security system that’s best for smartphone integration. It gives extremely customized smartphone notifications, doesn’t require lengthy contracts, and holds an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau (BBB).
Pros and Cons of Frontpoint Home Security
Frontpoint Home Security Packages & Equipment
For your convenience, Frontpoint has put together four starter packages plus a build-your-own option. All plans come with a hub and keypad that acts as the base of the system, in addition to sensors and other equipment. Note: Frontpoint includes yard signs, window decals, and door stickers with all systems.
Frontpoint Home Security Package Comparison
|Feature||"Safe Home Starter" Package||"Safe Home Everyday" Package||"Safe Home Select" Package||"Safe Home Preferred" Package|
|Hub and keypad||✔ 1 included||✔ 1 included||✔ 1 included||✔ 1 included|
|Door/window sensor||✔ 2 included||✔ 3 included||✔ 4 included||✔ 5 included|
|Motion sensor||✔ 1 included||✔ 2 included||✔ 2 included||✔ 2 included|
|Glass break sensor||–||–||✔||✔|
|Smoke and heat sensor||–||–||✔||✔|
Frontpoint Home Security Equipment
Here’s a quick overview of the hardware that comes with the various Frontpoint packages, plus add-on equipment to meet your other home security needs.
- Hub and Keypad: These two devices represent the central nervous system of a Frontpoint security system, communicating with your home’s sensors and the professional monitoring center. They come equipped with “Crash and Smash protection,” which means that if an intruder attempts to destroy them, they’ll send an alert to the monitoring center. The hub also has a 24-hour battery backup in case of power outages.
- Security Sensors: Frontpoint makes three types of sensors: entry sensors, motion detectors, and glass break sensors. Entry sensors can be placed on front doors, back doors, and any windows to send an alert if they’re opened. Motion detectors, as the name implies, trigger an alert in the presence of unauthorized movement. Frontpoint’s glass break sensors are tuned to the sound of shattering glass from windows or cases, and one sensor is enough to cover a whole room.
- Frontpoint Touchscreen: While you can arm and disarm your Frontpoint system with the hub and keypad, the touchscreen gives you greater control over smart home systems and intrusion sensors.
- Security Cameras: Frontpoint offers four types of security cameras: two for inside your home and two suitable for outside use. Here’s a quick comparison of their features.
Frontpoint Home Security Camera Comparison
|Feature||Indoor Camera||Premium Indoor Camera||Skybell Doorbell Camera||Outdoor Camera|
|Resolution||1080p HD||1080p HD||720p||1080p HD|
|Field of view||113 degrees||180 degrees||180 degrees||117 degrees|
|Colors available||White||Black||Bronze, silver||White|
|Digital pan and tilt||–||✔||–||–|
|IP66 weather resistance||–||–||–||✔|
While Frontpoint’s cameras are suitable for basic security purposes, they lack some of the nifty features that other companies offer, like person or package recognition.
Frontpoint offers a number of other environmental sensors, security accessories, and smart home equipment:
- Garage door tilt sensor
- Carbon monoxide sensor
- Flood sensor
- Smart door lock
- Wireless light control unit
- Smart LED bulb
- Keychain remote
- Panic pendant
Frontpoint Home Security Pricing
With Frontpoint, you’ll pay for your security equipment upfront without needing a contract. If you’d prefer to finance the equipment on a monthly basis, Frontpoint works with Affirm to offer 3-, 6-, or 12-month payment plans.
Frontpoint Home Security Package Pricing
|Pricing||"Safe Home Starter" Package||"Safe Home Everyday" Package||"Safe Home Select" Package||"Safe Home Preferred" Package|
|Price with Monthly Financing||$17.00||$25.00||$32.00||$40.00|
Here are the prices for individual pieces of hardware:
- Frontpoint touchscreen: $119.99
- Door/window sensor: $19.99 each
- Motion sensor: $29.99 each
- Glass break sensor: $44.99 each
- Garage door tilt sensor: $24.99 each
- Smoke and heat sensor: $44.99
- Carbon monoxide sensor: $69.99
- Flood sensor: $24.99
- Doorbell camera: $149.99
- Outdoor camera: $169.99
- Indoor camera: $99.99
- Premium indoor camera: $199.99
- Smart door lock: $149.99
- Wireless light control unit: $49.99 each
- Smart LED bulb: $24.99 each
- Keychain remote: $24.99 each
- Panic pendant: $19.99 each
Although paying for professional monitoring is optional with Frontpoint, you’ll need to pay for one of their plans to get the full use out of the equipment. Unfortunately, the plans are pretty expensive compared to other DIY security systems, which usually stay in the $20–$30 per month range.
- Interactive Plan ($44.99/month): Includes 24/7 monitoring, full mobile app functionality, wireless and cellular connectivity, alerts and notifications, geo-location, and Crash and Smash protection
- Ultimate Plan ($49.99/month): Includes everything in the Interactive Plan, live/recorded video streaming, cloud storage, motion-triggered alerts, smart lighting, and smart lock control
Frontpoint used to offer professional monitoring on a one- to three-year contract; however, it’s recently switched over to a month-by-month pricing model.
Frontpoint Home Security Installation
Professional installation is not available with Frontpoint. The DIY installation process usually takes 30 minutes to an hour and a half to complete.
Frontpoint Smart Home
Frontpoint offers smart home devices as add-ons with its home security systems. The specific types of smart home equipment that Frontpoint offers include smart door locks, wireless light control, and a smart light bulb. To get a free quote from Frontpoint, fill out this simple online form.
Frontpoint Home Security Warranties
All of Frontpoint’s security packages come with a 30-day free trial. If you decide Frontpoint isn’t right for you, you can mail your security equipment back, and Frontpoint will cover the cost of shipping. Additionally, all of the hardware comes with a three-year warranty on repairs.
Overall, Frontpoint has a good reputation for customer service. Customer support is available Monday through Friday from 8:00 am to 11:00 pm EST and Saturday through Sunday from 10:00 am to 7:00 pm EST.
In addition to a transparent pricing structure, Frontpoint has a 4.6 out of 5 rating on Trustpilot. The company won an Angie’s List Super Service Award several years in a row. Most customer complaints revolve around cancelling monitoring services. To minimize these issues, always read any contract clearly and understand the terms and conditions before signing up for a home security plan.
Frontpoint Home Security Reviews
Frontpoint maintains an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau (BBB) for its transparent business practices and good response to customer complaints. Here’s what some customers have to say.
“After being with them for 26 months, I can honestly say that the only problem that I have had with them or their equipment is that the backup battery in the hub failed. They quickly and courteously sent me a new one.” —Charlie V. on 3/20/20
“Beware of shoddy equipment and ‘customer service’ reps that are unable to help. Every support phone call is almost 2 hours in length… and they still have not been able to make the system work as advertised.” —G. Smolens on 4/13/20
The This Old House Reviews Team gives Frontpoint a 9.7 out of 10 and rates it best for smartphone integration. The $99 price point for the Safe Home Starter Plan is very reasonable, but you’ll have to add extra sensors if you have a larger home.
Frontpoint is a good option if you want to self-monitor without a security camera, or if you’re looking for a system with an easy-to-use smartphone app.
For a free quote from Frontpoint, call 833-823-5612 or fill out this quick form.
If you’re still unsure whether Frontpoint is right for you, compare it to other top-rated home security companies in the industry.
Frontpoint vs. Competitors
|Equipment Cost||$99–$480||$599+||Bundled with contract|
|Monthly Monitoring Cost||$45–$50||$40+||$29+|
|Contract Required?||No contract||No contract||36 month contract|
|Money-Back Guarantee||30 days||Warranty only||6 months|
|Mobile App Access||✔||✔||✔|
|Smart Home Compatibility||✔||✔||✔|
|Video Streaming Capability||✔||✔||✔|
Frequently Asked Questions about Frontpoint
Our Rating Methodology
The This Old House Reviews Team backs up our home security recommendations with a detailed rating methodology that we use to objectively score each provider. Our research includes analyzing product specifications, reviewing service and plan information, speaking with customer service representatives, and analyzing customer reviews. We then score the provider against our review standards for system options, special features, installation options, connectivity and smart-home automation features, pricing, contract terms, warranty, usability, availability of a trial period, and trustworthiness to arrive at a final score out of 100.
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at email@example.com.