This Old House Rating: 9.9 / 10
SimpliSafe offers homeowners peace of mind with its easy-to-install home security system. The company provides a wide variety of motion sensors and security cameras that use adhesive strips for installation, making SimpliSafe an ideal home security system for renters and those interested in a DIY home security system. SimpliSafe is also an affordable home security provider and doesn’t require customers to sign any long-term contracts, and it bases the cost of its professional monitoring by the day rather than the month.
Keep reading to learn about the home security packages that SimpliSafe offers, its costs, and its customer service, and compare similar security systems to find the best home security for your home.
Our Take on SimpliSafe Home Security
We rated SimpliSafe a 9.9 out of 10 and named it the “Best for Easy Installation.” It allows customers to make monthly payments with no contract, it’s easy to install, and it holds an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau (BBB).
Overview of SimpliSafe
SimpliSafe was founded in 2006 by Harvard students Chad and Eleanor Laurans. The Laurans conceptualized the company after a series of break-ins at their friends’ homes left their friends struggling to find a home security company geared towards renters. Since then, SimpliSafe has grown to incorporate a wide variety of security equipment tailored for easy installation and serves millions of customers across the country. The company continues to cater to customers who want an easily transportable and affordable home security system.
SimpliSafe Packages & Equipment
There are two main aspects to any home security system like SimpliSafe: the equipment packages and the monthly monitoring plans.
SimpliSafe gives you the option to create your own package, but it also offers five pre-made packages that include some savings on the most important items. You can also add extras like more entry or motion sensors for an additional one-time price.
Compare SimpliSafe packages below:
All SimpliSafe systems require a base station to act as a central control unit for any peripheral equipment. However, the company offers customizability in terms of things like sensors and security cameras. Below are the major pieces of equipment, which all come with a three-year warranty and a 60-day money-back guarantee.
SimpliSafe also includes a free HD camera with the purchase of any of its packages.*
*Deal as of May 14, 2021
Here are more details about SimpliSafe’s equipment:
- Base Station: This white, cylindrical unit is the central hub of the system and a backup for home cellular connections. It links wirelessly to all sensors and, with a monitoring service package, SimpliSafe’s team of dispatchers. It also features a 95-decibel siren that will activate if anything triggers the alarm.
- SimpliCam: SimpliSafe’s only security camera is the SimpliCam, an indoor video camera with a 120-degree field of vision but no zoom options. It features night vision and an audio system that allows you to speak through the camera itself. You can stream video or store it in the cloud for an additional monthly fee. It does not use person recognition, which means it may offer false alarms for pets or other moving objects like robot vacuums.
- Video Doorbell Pro: This video camera and two-way audio system allows you to see and speak to anyone who rings your doorbell. It will need to be hardwired into your existing doorbell. This doorbell camera offers a 162-degree field of vision and night vision. Unlike the SimpliCam, it does use person recognition, so you won’t receive alerts for passing cars or trees blowing in the wind.
- Entry Sensors: These small, two-part sensors attach to doors and windows and notify the base station when they’ve been opened.
- Keypad: The wireless keypad is the primary location to arm and disarm the system. It’s tamper-proof, so if it’s removed or destroyed, the base station and mobile app will continue to operate.
- Motion Sensors: These sensors have a 30-foot range and a 90-degree field of view and work best in corners.
- Other Equipment: SimpliSafe offers a number of other items, including a panic button, key fob, an additional 105-decibel siren, glass-break sensor, and a smart lock. It also offers equipment for environmental monitoring, such as smoke detectors, temperature and freeze sensors, water sensors, and carbon monoxide detectors.
For every package, either customized or premade, you have three monitoring plan options: “Complete Home,” “Pro Monitoring Only,” and “Camera Recordings Only.” The “Pro Monitoring Only” plan connects your base station with SimpliSafe dispatchers for 24/7 monitoring. The “Camera Recordings Only” plan provides recording and storage features for SimpliSafe security cameras. The “Complete Home” plan is the most comprehensive and includes 24/7 monitoring along with full functionality of the SimpliSafe app to remotely arm and disarm the system, receive alert notifications, live stream security camera footage, and more.
SimpliSafe Home Security Pricing
There’s an initial fee for SimpliSafe’s hardware, but then you own the system, which you can take with you if you move. You can buy the equipment and choose self-monitoring, but if you sign up for professional monitoring, you’ll receive a 25% discount on the hardware.* You don’t need to sign a contract for monitoring; you pay month to month and can cancel anytime.
You can also pay for a SimpliSafe professional to come set up your system for you for an additional $79.00.
SimpliSafe offers additional savings if you bundle one of its packages with a professional monitoring plan. Compare the pricing of SimpliSafe’s packages below:
*Pricing as of May 14, 2021
In addition to the packages themselves, SimpliSafe offers three plans for monthly monitoring—Here are the costs associated with the professional monitoring plans:
- “Complete Home” Monitoring Plan: 83 cents per day
- “Pro Monitoring Only” Plan: 50 cents per day
- “Camera Recordings Only” Plan: 33 cents per day
If you need optional or extra security equipment, here’s how much each device will cost:
- Video Doorbell Pro: $169
- SimpliCam: $99
- Cloud video storage: $4.99/month for one camera, $9.99/month for two to 10 cameras
- Outdoor kit for SimpliCam: $19.99
- Smart lock: $99
- Extra entry sensor: $14.99 each
- Extra motion sensor: $24.99 each
- Glass-break sensor: $34.99 each
SimpliSafe Home Security Warranties
All SimpliSafe equipment comes with a three-year warranty and a 60-day, money-back guarantee. In addition to monitoring, SimpliSafe offers customer support for any equipment or connectivity troubleshooting. Live help is available every day from 9:00 am to midnight EST.
SimpliSafe Home Security Reviews
SimpliSafe has an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau (BBB) based on its customer service and transparent business practices. Most complaints relate to customer service and problems processing refunds. As with any top security company, there’s a mix of positive and negative SimpliSafe customer reviews.
Here are a few SimpliSafe reviews that customers gave on the BBB website:
“Best customer service I have ever received from a company. Easy to get a hold of and love the services provided.” — Katlynn M., 2/22/20
“The product itself I don’t have an issue with and works fine—however, be prepared for non-stop problems starting with the order process through delivery, through any returns you may have.” — Brian G., 3/18/20
SimpliSafe is an excellent and affordable alternative to traditional home security systems. It’s easy to install and use, and the availability to pay for 24/7 monitoring without signing a contract is a particular plus. The SimpliSafe system interacts with smart home devices and mobile devices, so if you’re technology-savvy, you’ll get plenty of use out of the smart features.
SimpliSafe does appear to have some customer service issues, and some customers who have tried to take advantage of the 60-day money-back guarantee have found themselves frustrated. Despite the reported ease of use, people who are uncomfortable using smart devices might not be able to take advantage of a SimpliSafe system, particularly the interactive monitoring plan.
If you’re still unsure whether SimpliSafe is right for you, compare it to other top-rated home security companies below.
Our Rating Methodology
The This Old House Reviews Team backs up our home security recommendations with a detailed rating methodology that we use to objectively score each provider. Our research includes analyzing product specifications, reviewing service and plan information, speaking with customer service representatives, and analyzing customer reviews. We then score the provider against our review standards for system options, special features, installation options, connectivity and smart-home automation features, pricing, contract terms, warranty, usability, availability of a trial period, and trustworthiness to arrive at a final score out of 100.
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.