As a homeowner, it’s normal to worry about your house when you aren’t around. Break-ins can be a real possibility, and you want to make sure you’re protected. Luckily, many home security systems are available to safeguard your Connecticut property. Whether you’re interested in professional or DIY installation, streamlined or comprehensive packages, or smart integration, there’s an option for you.
There are many home security systems on the market, and they can differ in quality, package and equipment offerings, contract periods, and more. To help you find a security solution for your home, the This Old House Reviews Team made a comprehensive review of the best home security systems, measuring key metrics like plans, affordability, customer service, and more. Read on to find out about our top recommendations for home security in Connecticut.
|Superlative||Star Rating||Monthly Cost|
|Vivint||Best for Smart Homes||$29.99+|
|Alder||Best for Medical Alerts||$39.99|
|SimpliSafe||Best for Easy Installation||$14.99+|
|Frontpoint||Best Smartphone App||$45.00+|
|Abode||Best for Renters||$6.00+|
ADT Home Security
ADT is one of the top security providers in the industry with more than 140 years of experience and millions of customers nationwide. The provider offers 24/7 professional monitoring and a six-month money-back guarantee. ADT also operates the largest network of professional monitoring centers in the country.
ADT Packages & Equipment
ADT Package Comparison
|24/7 Professional Monitoring||✔||✔||✔|
|24/7 Fire, Flood, & Carbon Monoxide Monitoring||✔||✔||✔|
|ADT Go Mobile App||✔||✔||✔|
|Alexa Guard / Voice Control Integration (with Amazon Alexa)||–||✔||✔|
|ADT Mobile App and Remote Access||–||✔||✔|
|Video Surveillance (Motion activated + alerts)||–||–||✔|
|Stored Video Clips (Up to 8 cameras)||–||–||–|
|Monthly for 60 months||$55.97–$60.97||$65.31–$70.31||$75.47–$82.14|
|Professional Monitoring||$45.99 per month||$49.99 per month||$59.99 per month|
Learn more: ADT Home Security Review
Vivint Smart Home Security
Vivint offers sophisticated home security systems that are easily integrated with a range of third-party smart home devices like the Kwikset smart lock, Nest thermostat, Philips Hue smart light, and more. Vivint has technologically-advanced equipment, including a category of security cameras that use advanced camera analytics to alert customers when people and packages arrive on their doorstep.
Vivint Packages & Equipment
Vivint offers five equipment packages. The Smart Complete Package is Vivint’s most extensive package and includes outdoor cameras. Multiple bundled packages are available, giving you access to both video security and automation.
- “Vivint Smart Hub Starter Kit” Package: The most basic plan includes a touch screen panel that can be controlled through a mobile app. This package features the Vivint Smart Hub, two smart entry sensors, one motion sensor, one water sensor, and includes a $100 credit toward additional sensors.
- “Home Security System Bundle” Package: This upgraded security system features everything included in the Vivint Smart Hub Starter Kit, plus a smart smoke detector. The detector integrates with the system and can control smart locks when the smoke alarm system is triggered.
- “Smart Home Control Bundle” Package: This package contains all the devices listed above, along with a smart door lock, a smart thermostat, and a smart garage door opener. To get full use out of this system, homeowners should subscribe to the Vivint Smart Home Video Plan.
- “Video Security Bundle” Package: This combo package adds video surveillance to your home security system. Homeowners receive everything in the Vivint Smart Hub Starter Kit, plus a video doorbell, an indoor camera, and an outdoor security camera. This package also comes with a Wi-Fi-enabled storage device that archives all playback recordings. Like the Smart Home Control Bundle, customers will have to subscribe to the Smart Home Video Plan to take full advantage of this package.
- “Smart Complete Bundle” Package: This is the broadest smart home system package, including the automation from Vivint’s Smart Home Control Bundle and the security devices of the Video Security Bundle.
Vivint Package Comparison
|Feature||“Vivint Smart Hub Starter Kit”||“Home Security System” Package||“Smart Home Control” Package||“Video Security” Package||“Smart Complete” Package|
|Smart Entry Sensors (2)||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔|
|Smart Smoke Detector||-||✔||✔||-||✔|
|Smart Garage Door Opener||✔||-||✔|
|Ping Indoor Camera||✔|
|Packages||SkyControl Starter Kit Package||Home Security System Package||Smart Home Control Package||Video Security Package||Smart Complete Package|
|Monthly Monitoring Cost||$9.98||$11.83||$17.50||$23.00||$29.83|
Learn more: Vivint Home Security Review
Alder Home Security
Alder stands out from other home security companies because it doesn’t offer a series of premade packages—instead, each plan is customized for the individual homeowner. Alder has an average response time of 3.4 seconds, which is one of the fastest in the industry. With a straightforward security panel and a wide variety of equipment, Alder is one of our top recommendations.
Alder Packages & Equipment
Alder doesn’t offer preset packages. Instead, customers can pick and choose the devices that fit their home. Here is a breakdown of the company’s equipment.
- Touchscreen Panel: This integral device controls the entire Alder system. It uses a cellular connection so that homeowners don’t have to fear losing connection if their internet goes out. The panel is also battery-powered so that customers can transport it from room to room.
- Indoor Security Camera: Alder’s high-quality indoor security camera features two-way talk, night vision, and a wide-angle lens. Baby crying detection is also included, making it an excellent choice for parents. The camera can even send motion-activated notifications when loved ones need special attention.
- Outdoor Security Camera: The outdoor security camera has a wide-angle lens and night vision capabilities to monitor a large area during the day and night. Alder’s outdoor cameras have many features like motion detection, two-way audio, and mobile notifications.
- Motion Sensor: This sensor uses infrared technology to detect when someone is in the home. If a sensor is tripped, it sends a signal to the security system’s control panel, which alerts the monitoring center and homeowner to a potential threat.
- Door/Window Sensor: When the system is armed and doors and windows are opened, these multi-use sensors send alerts to your system. When the system isn’t armed, the base station will make a chime sound when a window or door opens.
- Smart Smoke Detector: These detectors provide peace of mind by alerting homeowners to potential hazards before smoke signals even start. They can also detect carbon monoxide.
- Medical Alert Pendant: Designed with seniors who live alone and anyone with a serious medical condition in mind, the medical alert pendant dispatches emergency services when its button is pressed.
- Flood and Freeze Detectors: These detectors alert homeowners to any excess water that’s flowing in their home. The majority of homeowners place these detectors near sinks, major piping in their basement, and appliances that use water.
- Doorbell Camera: The doorbell camera lets homeowners view a livestream of the area outside their door, talk to visitors in real time, and receive notifications when someone arrives.
Information on equipment pricing isn’t available on Alder’s site, but you can discuss your home security options with a customer service representative by contacting the company. Monthly monitoring prices start at $39.99 per month and require a three-year contract.
Learn more: Alder Home Security Review
SimpliSafe Home Security
SimpliSafe offers straightforward DIY security systems that integrate with devices like Apple Watch, Amazon Alexa, and Google Assistant. SimpliSafe also offers flexible protection with no contract requirement and its security systems use batteries that have a lifespan of more than 10 years.
SimpliSafe Packages & Equipment
SimpliSafe offers five home security packages alongside a customizable plan that homeowners can design to fit their unique needs. Additional items can be purchased for a one-time charge. SimpliSafe’s systems all require a base station, but customers can customize their system with options like security cameras and additional equipment. If your home has a lot of entryways, consider The Knox Package, which comes with six entry sensors.
- “The Foundation” Package: The most streamlined package includes all of the basics like a base station, keypad, entry sensor, and motion sensor.
- “The Essentials” Package: The next package builds on The Foundation’s features and comes with two additional entry sensors.
- “The Hearth” Package: This package includes everything within The Essentials Package, plus key features like a keyfob and siren.
- “The Knox” Package: This advanced package features everything provided in The Hearth and offers six entry sensors, which is the most of any package.
- “The Haven” Package: With the most comprehensive security protection, The Haven Package features all of the essential equipment, plus a water sensor, temperature sensor, and panic button.
SimpliSafe Package Comparison
|Feature||“The Foundation” Package||“The Essentials” Package||“The Hearth” Package||“The Knox” Package||“The Haven” Package|
|Entry Sensor||✔ 1 included||✔ 3 included||✔ 3 included||✔ 6 included||✔ 4 included|
|Motion Sensor||✔ 1 included||✔ 1 included||✔ 1 included||✔ 2 included||✔ 2 included|
You can create your custom package by following these steps.
- Start with a base station and a wireless keypad.
- Add on protection sensors (smoke detectors, carbon monoxide sensor, temperature sensor, and water sensor) and burglary sensors (entry sensors, motion sensors, glass break sensors, SimpliCam, and panic button).
- Choose optional add-on equipment (extra keypad, key fob, extra 105db siren, extra yard sign, and pro setup help).
The cost of SimpliSafe’s packages can be found below.
|“The Foundation” Package||“The Essentials” Package||“The Hearth” Package||“The Knox” Package||“The Haven” Package|
The Standard Monitoring Plan is $14.99 per month, and the Interactive Monitoring Plan is $24.99 per month.
Learn more: SimpliSafe Home Security Review
Frontpoint Home Security
Frontpoint is a DIY home security company that doesn’t require long-term contracts. Frontpoint provides highly-customized smartphone notifications and offers crash and smash protection, which means that even if your control panel is destroyed, the monitoring center will still be notified when a motion or entry sensor is activated.
Frontpoint Packages & Equipment
Frontpoint offers four home security plans. Each plan includes a hub, keypad, two door and window sensors, and a motion sensor. Homeowners who don’t want an indoor camera or smoke and heat sensor can find appropriate coverage with the Safe Home Starter Package and Safe Home Everyday Package.
- “Safe Home Starter” Package: This is the most basic package, featuring a hub, keypad, two door/window sensors, and a motion sensor.
- “Safe Home Everyday” Package: This package includes everything found in the previous streamlined package, plus one additional door/window sensor and an extra motion sensor.
- “Safe Home Select” Package: This extensive package offers a glass break sensor and a smoke and heat sensor for increased protection.
- “Safe Home Preferred” Package: The most comprehensive package combines the features of all the other offerings and adds an indoor camera.
Frontpoint Package Comparison
|Feature||“Safe Home Starter” Package||“Safe Home Everyday” Package||“Safe Home Select” Package||“Safe Home Preferred” Package|
|Hub and Keypad||✔ 1 included||✔ 1 included||✔ 1 included||✔ 1 included|
|Door/Window Sensor||✔ 2 included||✔ 3 included||✔ 4 included||✔ 5 included|
|Motion Sensor||✔ 1 included||✔ 2 included||✔ 2 included||✔ 2 included|
|Glass Break Sensor||-||-||✔||✔|
|Smoke and Heat Sensor||-||-||✔||✔|
Homeowners can pay for equipment upfront or finance the equipment through Affirm with a 3-, 6-, or 12-month payment plan.
|Pricing||Safe Home Starter Package||Safe Home Everyday Package||Safe Home Select Package||Safe Home Preferred Package|
|Price with Monthly Financing||$17.00||$25.00||$32.00||$40.00|
Learn more: Frontpoint Home Security Review
Abode is a home security service that offers extensive systems that can connect with up to 160 different security devices. Abode has no contract requirements and provides customers who choose to self-monitor their homes with a wide range of capabilities.
Adobe Packages & Equipment
Abode offers homeowners a choice of four security packages. The final two packages offer the greatest amount of entryway sensors, with each offering four. You can find a breakdown of each available package below.
- “Smart Security Middle” Package: The basic, most affordable package comes with Abode’s Gen 2 Gateway, three door/window sensors, one keypad, one key fob, one sticker, and one motion sensor.
- “Iota Kit Middle” Package: This package comes with the more sophisticated iota All-In-One Gateway, three door/window sensors, one keypad, and one key fob.
- “Smart Security Kit Elite” Package: This elite package includes the Gen 2 Gateway, four mini door/window sensors, one keypad, one key fob, one sticker, and two motion sensors.
“Iota Kit Elite” Package: This comprehensive package features the Iota All-In-One Gateway, four mini door/window sensors, one keypad, one key fob, and one motion sensor.
Abode Package Comparison
|Feature||“Smart Security Middle” Package||“Iota Kit Middle” Package||“Smart Security Kit Elite” Package||“Iota Kit Elite” Package|
|Motion Sensor||✔ 1 included||-||✔ 2 included||✔ 1 included|
|Door/Window Sensors||✔ 2 included||✔ 3 included||✔ 4 included||✔ 4 included|
|Smart Device integration||✔||✔||✔||✔|
|Built-in Motion Detector||-||✔||-||✔|
|Type of Gateway||Gen 2||Iota||Gen 2||Iota|
You can find the breakdown of Abode’s package pricing below.
|“Smart Security Middle” Package||“Iota Kit Middle” Package||“Smart Security Kit Elite” Package||“Iota Kit Elite” Package|
Learn more: Abode Home Security Review
The This Old House Reviews Team has ranked ADT, Vivint, Alder, SimpliSafe, Frontpoint, and Abode as the best home security systems available in Connecticut. Each of these companies ranked highly because of their available security packages, equipment, installation ease, and more.
We always recommend that homeowners reach out for multiple quotes to help them determine the best security system for their unique needs. You can use the tool below to contact some top home security services.
What to Consider When Choosing a Home Security System in Connecticut
- Reputation: Talking to your friends and family and reading reviews are a few ways you can identify a provider’s pros and cons.
- Types of equipment: Different security services offer different ranges of equipment. If you want an indoor and outdoor camera, make sure the provider you go with offers both of these options.
- Installation method: Some providers offer professional installation or require DIY setup, while others give you a choice.
- Cost: Before purchasing a security system, you should determine the installation costs, equipment costs, and monthly monitoring fees.
- Smart home integration: If you use smart home devices, consider choosing a security system that allows for easy integration.
Frequently Asked Questions
- SimpliSafe vs ADT
- Frontpoint vs SimpliSafe
- Frontpoint vs Vivint
- Abode vs SimpliSafe
- SimpliSafe vs Vivint
Our Rating Methodology
The This Old House Reviews Team is committed to providing comprehensive and unbiased reviews to our readers. This means earning your trust through transparent reviews and having the data to back up our ratings and recommendations. Our rating system for home security providers is on a 100-point scale based on 10 factors:
- Number of systems (5)
- Special features (10)
- Installation options (5)
- Connectivity and smart home automation (15)
- Pricing (15)
- Contract period (5)
- Warranty (15)
- Trial period (15)
- Usability (5)
- Trustworthiness (10)
Our Reviews Team reviewed 32 companies and spent 744 hours researching and testing out products to help us compare home security systems on key factors such as package options, cost, reliability, and ease of use. Read more on our methodology here.
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.