Every homeowner wants a gorgeous green lawn, but not everyone has the time and energy to make their yard picture-perfect. Bringing in lawn care experts can save you the hassle and see your yard restored to its full potential.
With so many lawn care services across the country, it can be difficult to find the best fit for you and your lawn. The This Old House Reviews Team researched and rated dozens of lawn care companies on key factors, including plans, services, and customer service quality. This guide outlines our top seven recommendations, ranging from comprehensive all-in-one lawn services to specialty DIY subscriptions.
Top Lawn Care Companies of 2023
Our top recommended lawn care services are these:
- TruGreen: Best Lawn Care Company
- Sunday: Best DIY Lawn Care
- Lawn Love: Best for Customization
- Weed Man: Best Pest Control Services
- Lawnbright: Best Natural Lawn Care
- Lawn Doctor: Best Guarantee
- SavATree: Best for Trees and Shrubs
Compare the Best Lawn Care Service Companies
To rate the top lawn care services, we utilized a comprehensive methodology that considers factors such as plan options, additional benefits and customizability, availability, trustworthiness, customer service and more. Here’s how each company stacks up against the others:
|TruGreen||Best Lawn Care Company||Treat My Lawn|
|Sunday||Best DIY Lawn Care||Treat My Lawn|
|Lawn Love||Best for Customization||Treat My Lawn|
|Weed Man||Best Pest Control Services||Treat My Lawn|
|Lawnbright||Best Natural Lawn Care||Treat My Lawn|
|Lawn Doctor||Best Guarantee||Treat My Lawn|
|SavATree||Most Comprehensive Service||Treat My Lawn|
|Superlative||Best Lawn Care Company|
|Superlative||Best DIY Lawn Care|
|Superlative||Best for Customization|
|Superlative||Best Pest Control Services|
|Superlative||Best Natural Lawn Care|
|Superlative||Most Comprehensive Service|
TruGreen: Best Lawn Care Company
- State Availability: 48 states, excluding Alaska and Hawaii
- Year founded: 1973
TruGreen has served customers across the continental United States since 1973, establishing itself in the lawn care industry with a wide range of plans. TruGreen offers a selection of five annual programs in addition to its a la carte services, such as pest control. This allows homeowners to customize their lawn care plan with aeration, fertilization, overseeding, and more.
TruGreen Services and Pricing
We requested a lawn care quote for an 8,500-square-foot lawn. These are the estimated prices for TruGreen’s top three recommended plans, excluding the 50% discount currently offered for the first application.
- TruComplete Lawn Care Plan: $96.95 (x8), $257 (aeration)
- TruHealth Lawn Care Plan: $88.95 (x8)
- TruMaintenance Lawn Care Plan: $98.95 (x7)
TruGreen stands out for its commitment to customer service hosting an online chat function that allows customers to speak with representatives in real time. It also has a convenient mobile app to manage your lawn care plan and pay for services. The company backs its full lawn care plans with a Healthy Lawn Guarantee®, sending a specialist to re-treat your lawn at no extra cost for as many times as needed if you are unsatisfied with your service.
Pros and Cons
✔ Offers several plans to give customers options for their ideal lawn care solution
✔ Includes a plan that uses natural ingredients in its products for customers who are uncomfortable with conventional weed control and fertilization
✔ Adds lawn aeration services into several of its top plans to help condition compacted soil
✖ Does not provide lawn mowing services
✖ May have limited service availability in certain locations
Why We Chose TruGreen
TruGreen employs top-notch specialists called TruExpert Certified Specialists, who must pass an intensive 10-day training course that covers a variety of topics, including agronomics and lawn safety. The company’s wide selection of lawn care plans helps customers tailor services to their needs and includes specialty services, such as soil amendment and disease assessment.
Visit Site: Get a Free Quote from TruGreen
Learn More: TruGreen Review
Sunday: Best DIY Lawn Care
- State Availability: 50 states
- Year founded: 2019
Lawn care innovator Sunday brings a DIY twist to the industry. Creating a customized subscription box for your lawn’s needs, the company ships lawn care ingredients, such as fertilizer, weed control, and insect control, straight to your door. Although a relatively new addition to the industry, Sunday’s user-friendly packaging makes it a smart choice for homeowners looking to learn about lawn care.
Sunday Services and Pricing
- Custom Lawn Care Plan: Starts at $125
- Fescue Rescue: 5 pounds of fescue grass seed for $31
- Bermuda Time: 5 pounds of Bermuda grass seed for $36
- Weed Warrior + Dandelion Doom Pack: Two bottles of weed control for $22
Sunday doesn’t send out professional lawn care specialists to your lawn to tackle a list of maintenance and care projects. Instead, the company sends a customized subscription box directly to your door, full of lawn care necessities like fertilizer and weed control designed for your individual lawn’s needs. It delivers the lawn care kits over the course of the growing season in your area, typically involving one to four shipments.
Pros and Cons
✔ Centers its business on a subscription model that is ideal for DIYers
✔ Uses many natural and organic ingredients in its fertilizer, weed control, and pest control products
✔ Has convenient packaging for its products, with most of its fertilizer simply hooking to a hose-end sprayer
✖ Doesn’t have pre-emergent weed control options
✖ Issues store credit instead of physical reimbursement for live plant and tree refunds
Why We Chose Sunday
Sunday is taking care of lawns across the country, shipping to all 50 states. In 2019, Sunday alone diverted more than 10,000 pounds of pesticides from lawns. Its kits use safe, natural ingredients like seaweed, molasses, and iron. The service is our top choice for people interested in DIY lawn care who want to get their hands dirty but have their products backed by experts.
Visit Site: Get a Free Quote from Sunday
Learn More: Sunday Review
Lawn Love: Best for Customization
- State Availability: 40 states and Washington, D.C.
- Year founded: 2014
Lawn Love is not a lawn care company in the traditional sense. Rather, it is an online platform that connects you to local lawn care providers near you. Lawn Love will record your specifications, search for the variety of treatments you request, and connect you to a company that best suits your needs. This means you are able to fully customize your lawn service.
Lawn Love Services and Pricing
Lawn Love’s pricing will vary based on the services customers choose to receive. To give you an idea, Lawn Love quoted us $43 for a weekly lawn service near Atlanta including mowing, maintenance, and clean-up. Other services that you can receive from companies partnered with Lawn Love include lawn aeration, gutter cleaning, weed control, lawn seeding, leaf removal, and many more.
Pros and Cons
✔ Can arrange numerous lawn and landscaping services through its contractors
✔ Offers snow removal
✔ Is more affordable than some competitors for basic lawn maintenance
✖ Relies on independent contractors instead of its own in-house crews
✖ Is available only in select cities, with more widespread coverage in certain states
Why We Chose Lawn Love
Lawn Love is a great provider for anyone worried about getting all of their lawn care needs covered in a single plan. Because Lawn Love acts more as an aggregator site, customers are able to customize their lawn treatment plans to receive any service they are looking for, as well as the frequency of service.
We recommend you get your free lawn analysis from Lawn Love to find a local provider that works for you.
Weed Man: Best Pest Control Services
- State Availability: 48 states, excluding Alaska and Hawaii
- Year founded: 1970
Weed Man offers a wide variety of lawn care services, as well as an extensive range of specialized a la carte services. It originated more than 50 years ago as a lawn care provider that specialized in eliminating all types of weeds. Since then, it has grown while staying true to its roots, with targeted weed control to eliminate everything from crabgrass and bermudagrass to moss.
Weed Man Services and Pricing
Weed Man offers many industry-standard services. The company works to build a lawn care program that meets all of your lawn care needs. Some services that Weed Man includes in its lawn care plans include: fertilization, overseeding, aeration, crabgrass control, fire ant control, mole control, and soil pH control. Weed Man also provides additional pest control services, such as mosquito control and perimeter lawn pest control.
Pros and Cons
✔ Offers comprehensive pest control options in addition to lawn care services
✔ Brings more than 50 years of experience to its service offerings
✔ Hosts a helpful blog with seasonal lawn care tips
✖ Doesn’t offer mowing and trimming services
✖ May limit its services to select cities in each state it covers
Why We Chose Weed Man
In addition to standard formulations, Weed Man offers eco-friendly and natural solutions to lawn care, with organic lawn dressing designed for optimal lawn health. The lawn care provider also uses a proprietary golf course-quality fertilizer on customers’ lawns.
You can find quote information for Weed Man’s services on the company’s website.
Lawnbright: Best Natural Lawn Care
- State Availability: 50 states
- Year founded: 2020
Lawnbright functions as a DIY subscription service, focusing on natural lawn care products that are free of harsh chemicals and toxins. The company helps create a custom plan for your lawn, based on a soil test, and sends along easy-to-use products that attach directly to your hose.
Lawnbright Services and Pricing
For an 8,500-square-foot lawn, we used Lawnbright’s automated system to get an estimate for a custom lawn care plan.
- Maintain Lawn Care Plan: $289 annually
- Prevent Lawn Care Plan: $375 annually
- Prevent and Repair Lawn Care Plan: $459 annually
Each plan is for three shipments per year and includes six total applications of fertilizer. The Prevent Lawn Care Plan also includes a pre-emergent weed control product, and the Prevent and Repair Lawn Care Plan includes pre-emergent plus grass seed.
Lawnbright bases its custom lawn care plans on detailed information you provide and the results from a free soil test kit the company mails to you. After this in-depth analysis, Lawnbright will send you a tailored mix of soil and conditioners every eight weeks. Customers receive text alerts with application instructions based on rainfall, temperatures, and the growing season.
The company also offers supplemental one-off treatments for weeds, mosquito and tick control, and pet spots.
Pros and Cons
✔ Uses mostly natural ingredients that are safer for families and pets
✔ Models its business around the DIYer, offering convenient lawn care subscription plans
✔ Has a pre-emergent weed control that uses no synthetic ingredients
✖ Doesn’t offer landscaping services
✖ Often ships in multiple boxes, which may result in some products arriving later than others
Why We Chose Lawnbright
Lawnbright is a competitive option for DIY lawn care. All of the company’s products are organic and natural, so you are not applying any harmful chemicals to your lawn. This also means that Lawnbright’s products are safer for children and pets than the formulations from many competitors. Lawnbright is transparent about what ingredients it uses in its products, including how it helps with crabgrass and weeds through pre-emergent weed control products.
Visit Site: Get a Free Quote from Lawnbright
Lawn Doctor: Best Guarantee
- State Availability: 40 states
- Year founded: 1967
Lawn Doctor works a little differently than some of its top competitors, with a focus on customization. Lawn care specialists work directly with homeowners to determine the best course of action for their lawn to create a customized package, beginning with a thorough lawn analysis.
Lawn Doctor Services and Pricing
Plans can include treatments like lawn fertilization and grub control as well as power seeding, which Lawn Doctor provides through its personal Turf Tamer equipment. Its pest control services extend to pre-event treatment, ridding your lawn of mosquitoes before your cookout or backyard wedding. Lawn Doctor also offers Mower Maintenance services to help your lawn mower last longer when you need to do your own lawn care.
Pros and Cons
✔ Offers annual fertilization and weed plans with professional applications
✔ Has more than 50 years of experience in the industry
✔ Can also help customers with mosquito and tick control
✖ Doesn’t have an online shop to sell individual products
✖ Does not have nationwide availability, serving 40 states and Washington, D.C.
Why We Chose Lawn Doctor
Lawn Doctor provides effective lawn treatments in customizable plans. The company also includes the Lawn Doctor satisfaction guarantee with all its services. This means that if you are not happy with your results, the company will either return and reapply an application at no additional charge or refund the full cost of your last application.
To get a free quote from Lawn Doctor, visit the company’s website.
SavATree: Best for Trees and Shrubs
- State Availability: 25 states and Washington D.C.
- Year founded: 1978
SavATree started in Bedford Hills, New York in 1978. The company offers extensive tree and shrub services, making it ideal for homeowners who have a lot of that kind of landscaping.
SavATree Services and Pricing
SavATree offers a variety of lawn care plans. It has a completely organic plan in addition to an integrated plan that combines fertilizing services with weed control treatments. It also offers a hybrid plan that spot-treats synthetic materials for weed control while using organic materials for lawn treatment. If you only care about your grass, SavATree’s all-nutrient lawn care plan focuses on turf nutrition.
The pricing for SavATree varies. After the company conducts a soil analysis of your home, it crafts a customized nutrition regimen for your lawn, trees, and shrubs and provides a quote.
Pros and Cons
✔ Offers various lawn care plans to suit individual preferences
✔ Has deer control offerings to help protect trees and shrubs
✔ Provides comprehensive shrub care, including boxwood-specific treatment
✖ Doesn’t have nationwide availability
✖ Doesn’t have an automated feature to generate a customized lawn care plan for your home address like some competitors
Why We Chose SavATree
SavATree offers comprehensive lawn care with additional tree and shrubs services. It has a wide selection of tree services including tree pruning, removal, disease treatment, and even insect and mite management. The company also has a smartphone app that quickly connects you with a local, professional arborist.
To get a quote from SavATree, visit the company’s website.
Lawn Care Service Factors To Consider
With many options to choose from, considering your preferences for each of these factors will help you choose a DIY or full-service lawn care that meets your lawn’s individual needs.
Types of Treatments
When looking into lawn care companies, it’s important to think about what kind of treatments you want. Do you need extensive lawn care, covering fertilization, weed control, core aeration, and overseeding? Or do you have fewer needs and want a streamlined plan?
- Aeration: This process removes soil cores, so your lawn has little holes in it for water, grass seed, and fertilizer to enter. This treatment allows you to breathe new life into parts of your lawn that might otherwise be dead.
- Overseeding: This treatment sees a lawn care professional add new seedlings onto existing turf. This promotes overall turf health and development, and it can assist in replacing worn-out grass.
- Fertilization: Typically a flagship service offering of lawn care companies, this treatment has a technician place granular fertilizer across your lawn to promote its health.
- Weed control: Another popular lawn care service, weed control varies from company to company. Each company will most likely use a custom product and approach to treat the weeds in your yard.
- Soil pH control: This process measures your soil’s pH and restores a balance to it through the addition of lime.
Types of Products
Many lawn care companies offer the option for customers to pick between organic and chemical products.
- Chemical: These products are often a blend of chemical formulas that work to treat your lawn through non-natural means. They are tested to make sure they do not cause damage to your lawn, and they often yield results faster than organic products.
- Organic: These products are typically more eco-friendly, with reduced risk to your pets or children. These products are often naturally-occuring substances or treatment methods that assist in your lawn’s health. They sometimes take longer to yield results.
How Do I Choose the Best Lawn Care Service?
To choose the best lawn care service, consider these details for each company:
- Type of Service: Many lawn care services provide comprehensive treatment and maintenance options, sending out professional crews to do the work. But if you enjoy taking care of your lawn, it may be worth considering a DIY subscription service. This will alleviate you having to decide on the specific treatment options for your lawn, but you will still be responsible for the work.
- Reputation: Reputation and industry standing can tell you a lot about whether you should put your trust in the hands of a certain company. Examine the company’s history as well as expert reviews to get a sense of its reliability, professionalism, and competence.
- Scheduling: Different lawn care companies have unique schedules for when they visit your home. Find a lawn care company that offers visits that sync up to your schedule. Some providers arrive frequently to maintain your lawn, but others may only visit a few times per growing season. Subscription services also vary in timing, and it’s important to understand the specifics.
- Cost: We always recommend getting several quotes before making your ultimate decision. It’s also a good idea to inquire about how billing is done, in case you are concerned about auto-renewal.
- Training and Experience: Some lawn care companies, such as TruGreen, advertise the training process their specialists go through to highlight how intensive the program is. You’re better off with more experienced specialists on your lawn rather than newcomers, so this is something to consider.
- Guarantee: You don’t want to pay for professional lawn care only to have the end result look unsatisfactory. Make sure the lawn care company you choose offers a guarantee to return as needed to re-treat at no extra cost. Always read the fine print of the provider’s guarantee to verify that it covers your specific lawn care plan.
How Much Do Lawn Care Services Cost?
According to our research, the average cost of lawn care services is between $100 and $200 per month. The exact price of your lawn care plan will vary based on the size of your lawn and the treatments you need—larger lawns and a wide variety of treatments like aeration or tree services will increase your price. If you’d like to save money on lawn care, opt for DIY options like Sunday.
What Lawn Care Service Is Right for You?
Professional or subscription lawn care can take the guesswork out of lawn maintenance and boost your home’s curb appeal. If your lawn is in need of customized care or you don’t have time to nourish your yard regularly, consider calling in the experts.
TruGreen offers a customizable variety of plans across the broadest region. We also like its convenient online chat function and mobile app for ease in customer service. Sunday sends out expert-developed, nutrient-packed lawn care kits to customers through a subscription service.
No matter what your lawn needs, we always recommend getting quotes from multiple companies to help determine which one is best for you.
FAQs about Lawn Care Services
Our Rating Methodology
The This Old House Reviews Team backs up our lawn recommendations with a detailed rating methodology that we use to objectively score each provider. We review lawn care plans and packages, navigate the provider website and speak with customer service representatives, request quotes, and analyze customer reviews for each provider. We then score the provider against our review standards for plan options, additional benefits and customizability, availability, trustworthiness, and customer service to arrive at a final score out of 100.
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at email@example.com.