Every homeowner wants a gorgeous green lawn, but not everyone has the time and energy to put into making their yard picture-perfect. To save time or restore damaged yards, many homeowners opt to call in the experts.
With so many lawn care services across the country, it can be difficult to find the best fit for you and your lawn. The This Old House Reviews Team researched and rated dozens of lawn care companies on key factors, including plans, services, and customer service quality. This guide outlines our top seven recommendations, ranging from comprehensive all-in-one lawn services to specialty DIY subscriptions.
Top 6 Lawn Care Companies of 2022
Our top recommended lawn care companies for a greener lawn are:
TruGreen: Best Lawn Care Company
- State Availability: 48 states, excluding Alaska and Hawaii
- BBB Rating: A+
- Year founded: 1973
TruGreen has served customers across the continental United States since 1973, establishing itself in the lawn care industry with a wide range of plans.
TruGreen Services & Pricing
- TruComplete Lawn Care Plan: $92.95 (x7) $259 (Aeration)
- TruHealth Lawn Care Plan: $92.95 (x7)
- TruMaintenance Lawn Care Plan: $92.95 (x6)
- TruNatural Lawn Care Plan: $177.95 (x5)
TruGreen sets itself apart because, unlike its top competitors, the lawn care provider offers a selection of five annual programs in addition to its a la carte services, like pest control. This allows homeowners to customize their lawn care with everything from aeration and fertilization to overseeding, and more.
The company’s benefits go beyond its range of comprehensive programs. Its commitment to customer service makes it stand out, with an online chat function that allows customers to speak with representatives in real time, a mobile app, and Healthy Lawn Guarantee®. The latter guarantees that a TruGreen specialist will return as many times as needed between scheduled visits to re-treat at no extra cost if the customer is unsatisfied (for full-program customers only).
The only other cost to keep in mind is that each plan comes with an initial application fee of $46.48. The TruNatural Lawn Care Plan’s first application fee is a bit higher at $88.98.
Why We Chose TruGreen
TruGreen employs top-notch specialists called TruExpert Certified Specialists, who must pass an intensive 10-day training course that covers a variety of topics, including agronomics and lawn safety.
Visit Site: Get a Free Quote from TruGreen
Learn More: TruGreen Review
Sunday: Best DIY Lawn Care
- State Availability: All 50 states
- BBB Rating: N/A
- Year founded: 2019
Lawn care innovator Sunday brings a DIY twist to the industry. Creating a customized subscription box for your lawn’s needs, the company ships lawn care ingredients, such as fertilizer, weed control, and insect control, straight to your door. Although a relatively new addition to the industry, Sunday’s user-friendly packaging makes it a smart choice for homeowners looking to learn about lawn care.
Sunday Services & Pricing
- Custom Lawn Care Plan: Starts at $119
- Fescue Rescue: 5 lbs of fescue grass seed for $29
- Bermuda Time: 5 lbs of Bermuda grass seed for $34
- Weed Warrior + Dandelion Doom Pack: Two bottles of weed control for $20
Sunday doesn’t send out professional lawn care specialists to your lawn to tackle a list of maintenance and care projects. Instead, the company sends a customized subscription box directly to your door, full of lawn care necessities like fertilizer and weed control designed for your individual lawn’s needs. The kits are full of nutrients and are delivered over the course of the growing season in your area.
Why We Chose Sunday
Sunday is taking care of lawns across the country, shipping to all 50 states. In 2019, Sunday alone diverted more than 10,000 pounds of pesticides from lawns. Its kits use safe, natural ingredients like seaweed, molasses, and iron. The service is our top choice for people interested in DIY lawn care who want to get their hands dirty but have their products backed by experts.
Visit Site: Get a Free Quote from Sunday
Learn More: Sunday Review
Lawn Love: Best for Customization
- State Availability: 40 states and Washington, D.C.
- BBB Rating: B
- Year founded: 2014
Lawn Love is not a lawn care company in the traditional sense. Rather, it is an online platform that connects you to local lawn care providers near you. Lawn Love will record your specifications, search for the variety of treatments you request, and connect you to a company that best suits your needs. This means you are able to fully customize your lawn service.
Lawn Love Services & Pricing
Lawn Love’s pricing will vary based on the services customers choose to receive. To give you an idea, a weekly lawn service near Atlanta including mowing, maintenance, and fertilization costs $57 per service. Other services that you can receive from companies partnered with Lawn Love include lawn aeration, gutter cleaning, weed control, lawn seeding, leaf removal, and many more.
Why We Chose Lawn Love
Lawn Love is a great provider for anyone worried about getting all of their lawn care needs covered in a single plan. Because Lawn Love acts more as an aggregator site, customers are able to customize their lawn treatment plans to receive any service they are looking for, as well as the frequency of service.
We recommend you get your free lawn analysis from Lawn Love to find a local provider that works for you.
Weed Man: Best Pest Control Services
- State Availability: 48 states, excluding Alaska and Hawaii
- BBB Rating: N/A
- Year founded: 1970
Weed Man offers a wide variety of lawn care services, as well as an extensive range of specialized a la carte services. It originated more than 50 years ago as a lawn care provider that specialized in eliminating all types of weeds. Since then, it has grown while staying true to its roots, with targeted weed control to eliminate everything from crabgrass and bermudagrass to moss.
Weed Man Services & Pricing
Weed Man offers many industry-standard services. The company works to build a lawn care program that meets all of your lawn care needs. Some services that Weed Man includes in its lawn care plans include: fertilization, overseeding, aeration, crabgrass control, fire ant control, mole control, and soil pH control. Weed Man also provides additional pest control services, such as mosquito control and perimeter lawn pest control.
Why We Chose Weed Man
Weed Man offers eco-friendly and natural solutions to lawn care, with organic lawn dressing designed for optimal lawn health. The lawn care provider also uses a proprietary golf course-quality fertilizer on customers’ lawns.
You can find quote information for Weed Man’s services on the company’s website.
Lawnbright: Best Natural Lawn Care
- State Availability: 50 states
- BBB Rating: NR
- Year founded: 2020
Like Sunday, Lawnbright functions as a DIY subscription service, but it focuses on natural lawn care products that are free of harsh chemicals and toxins. The company helps create a custom plan for your lawn, based on a soil test, and sends along easy-to-use products that attach directly to your hose.
Lawnbright Services & Pricing
- Custom Lawn Care Plan: About $200 per year
- Organic Pre-Emergent Weed Control (32 oz): $65
- Organic Mosquito and Tick Control (32 oz): $35
- Pet Spot Repair (32 oz): $28
Lawnbright’s core product is its custom lawn care plan, which is based on detailed information you provide and a free soil test kit the company mails to you. After this in-depth analysis, Lawnbright will send you a tailored mix of soil and conditioners every eight weeks. Customers receive text alerts with application instructions based on rainfall, temperatures, and the growing season.
The company also offers supplemental one-off treatments for weeds, mosquito and tick control, and pet spots.
Why We Chose Lawnbright
Lawnbright is a competitive option for DIY lawn care. All of the company’s products are organic and natural, so you are not applying any harmful chemicals to your lawn. This also means that Lawnbright’s products are safe for children and pets. Lawnbright is transparent about what ingredients it uses in its products, including how it helps with crabgrass and weeds through pre-emergent weed control products.
Visit Site: Get a Free Quote from Lawnbright
Lawn Doctor: Best Guarantee
- State Availability: 39 states
- BBB Rating: A+
- Year founded: 1967
Lawn Doctor works a little differently than some of its top competitors, with a focus on customization. Lawn care specialists work directly with homeowners to determine the best course of action for their lawn to create a customized package, beginning with a thorough lawn analysis.
Lawn Doctor Services & Pricing
Plans can include treatments like lawn fertilization and grub control as well as power seeding, which Lawn Doctor provides through its personal Turf Tamer equipment. Its pest control services extend to pre-event treatment, ridding your lawn of mosquitoes before your cookout or backyard wedding. Lawn Doctor also offers Mower Maintenance services to help your lawn mower last longer when you need to do your own lawn care.
Why We Chose Lawn Doctor
Lawn Doctor provides effective lawn treatments in customizable plans. The company also includes the Lawn Doctor satisfaction guarantee with all its services. This means that if you are not happy with your results, the company will either return and reapply an application at no additional charge or refund the full cost of your last application.
To get a free quote from Lawn Doctor, visit the company’s website.
SavATree: Best for Trees and Shrubs
- State Availability: 25 states and Washington D.C.
- BBB Rating: N/A
- Year founded: 1978
SavATree started in Bedford Hills, New York in 1978. The company offers extensive tree and shrub services, making it ideal for homeowners who have a lot of that kind of landscaping.
SavATree Services & Pricing
SavATree offers a variety of lawn care plans. It has a completely organic plan in addition to an integrated plan that combines fertilizing services with weed control treatments. It also offers a hybrid plan that spot-treats synthetic materials for weed control while using organic materials for lawn treatment. If you only care about your grass, SavATree’s all-nutrient lawn care plan focuses on turf nutrition.
The pricing for SavATree varies. After the company conducts a soil analysis of your home, it crafts a customized nutrition regimen for your lawn, trees, and shrubs and provides a quote.
Why We Chose SavATree
SavATree offers comprehensive lawn care with additional tree and shrubs services. It has a wide selection of tree services including tree pruning, removal, disease treatment, and even insect and mite management. The company also has a smartphone app that quickly connects you with a local, professional arborist.
To get a quote from SavATree, visit the company’s website.
Local Lawn Care Experts
While these nationally recognized companies offer many benefits, many consumers would prefer to use a local branch or company. If you would rather speak to a provider in your local area directly, you’re not alone. Local or regional companies can provide personalized service and often offer competitive rates. Fill in the form below with your zip code to find a lawn provider located near you.
Professional or subscription lawn care can take the guesswork out of lawn maintenance and boost your home’s curb appeal. If your lawn is in need of customized care or you don’t have time to nourish your yard regularly, consider calling in the experts.
TruGreen offers a customizable variety of plans across the broadest region. We also like its convenient online chat function and mobile app for ease in customer service. Sunday sends out expert-developed, nutrient-packed lawn care kits to customers through a subscription service.
No matter what your lawn needs, we always recommend getting quotes from multiple companies to help determine which one is best for you.
Compare Top Lawn Care Companies
|TruGreen||Best Lawn Care Company||A+||1-866-817-2287||Get Quote|
|Sunday||Best DIY Lawn Care||NR||Get Quote|
|SavATree||Most Comprehensive Service||A+||Get Quote|
|Lawnbright||Best Natural Lawn Care||NR||978-595-2077||Get Quote|
How to Choose the Best Lawn Care Service
With many options to choose from, considering your preferences for each of these factors will help you choose a DIY or full-service lawn care that meets your lawn’s individual needs.
- Types of treatments: When looking into lawn care companies, it’s important to think about what kind of treatments you want. Do you need extensive lawn care, covering fertilization, weed control, core aeration, and overseeding? Or do you have fewer needs and want a streamlined plan?
- Aeration: This process removes soil cores, so your lawn has little holes in it for water, grass seed, and fertilizer to enter. This treatment allows you to breathe new life into parts of your lawn that might otherwise be dead.
- Overseeding: This treatment sees a lawn care professional add new seedlings onto existing turf. This promotes overall turf health and development, and it can assist in replacing worn-out grass.
- Fertilization: Typically a flagship service offering of lawn care companies, this treatment has a technician place granular fertilizer across your lawn to promote its health.
- Weed control: Another popular lawn care service, weed control varies from company to company. Each company will most likely use a custom product and approach to treat the weeds in your yard.
- Soil pH control: This process measures your soil’s pH and restores a balance to it through the addition of lime.
- A la carte options: One-stop shopping is always convenient. It saves time and money to have a lawn care company that can also handle some pest control services. Some companies, like our top picks, offer additional pest control services to complement your lawn care plans.
- Types of products: Many lawn care companies will offer the option for customers to pick between organic and chemical products.
- Chemical: These products are often a blend of chemical formulas that work to treat your lawn through non-natural means. They are tested to make sure they do not cause damage to your lawn, and they often yield results faster than organic products.
- Organic: These products are typically more eco-friendly, and they pose no threat to your pets or children. These products are often naturally-occuring substances or treatment methods that assist in your lawn’s health. They sometimes take longer to yield results.
- Scheduling: Different lawn care companies have unique schedules for when they visit your home. Be sure to find a lawn care company that offers visits that sync up to your schedule.
- Cost: Cost is key. We always recommend getting several quotes before making your ultimate decision. It’s also a good idea to inquire about how billing is done, in case you are concerned about auto-renewal.
- Specialist training: Some lawn care companies, like TruGreen, advertise the training process their specialists go through to highlight how intensive the program is. You’re better off with more experienced specialists on your lawn rather than newcomers, so this is something to consider.
- Reputation: Reputation and industry standing can tell you a lot about whether you should put your trust in the hands of a certain company. Examine the company’s history as well as expert reviews to get a sense of its reliability, professionalism, and competence.
- Guarantee: You don’t want to pay for professional lawn care only to have the end result look like you hired the neighborhood kid to do it. That’s why you should make sure the lawn care company you choose offers a guarantee to return as needed to re-treat at no extra cost.
How Much Does Lawn Care Cost?
According to our research, the average cost of lawn care is between $100 and $200 per month. The exact price of your lawn care plan will vary based on the size of your lawn and the treatments you need—larger lawns and a wide variety of treatments like aeration or tree services will increase your price. If you’d like to save money on lawn care, opt for DIY options like Sunday.
Frequently Asked Questions
Our Rating Methodology
The This Old House Reviews Team backs up our lawn recommendations with a detailed rating methodology that we use to objectively score each provider. We review lawn care plans and packages, navigate the provider website and speak with customer service representatives, request quotes, and analyze customer reviews for each provider. We then score the provider against our review standards for plan options, additional benefits and customizability, availability, trustworthiness, and customer service to arrive at a final score out of 100.
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at email@example.com.