Best Home Warranty Companies in New York (2023)
Home warranty companies help to reduce some of the surprise costs that can come with homeownership. These service contracts pay for repairs and replacements when your home systems and appliances fail from regular use. These our our most-recommended home warranty companies in New York, based on critical factors such as pricing, coverage, and customer reviews.
New York’s Top 5 Home Warranty Companies
The highest-rated New York home warranty companies include the following:
- American Home Shield: Best for Comprehensive Coverage
- Liberty Home Guard: Best Customer Ratings
- Select Home Warranty: Best Value
- First American Home Warranty: Best Appliance Coverage
- America’s First Choice Home Club: Best for Customization
Our team evaluated New York home warranty providers based on coverage, pricing, reputation, customer service, and more. See how the following companies fared in the evaluation.
The pricing information in this article uses a 2,134-square-foot, single-family home in Buffalo, New York. Your monthly premium may vary based on your home’s location, size, and type and your plan and add-on choices.
Summary of the Best Home Warranty Companies in New York
|Best For||Monthly Cost||Service Fee||Response Time||BBB Rating||Link|
|Liberty Home Guard||Best Customer Ratings||$49–$59||$65–$125||Up to 48 hours||A||VISIT SITE|
|American Home Shield||Best for Comprehensive Coverage||$49–$109||$100–$125||Up to 48 hours||B||VISIT SITE|
|Select Home Warranty||Best Value||$44–$47||$60–$75||48-84 hours||B-||VISIT SITE|
|First American Home Warranty||Best Appliance Coverage||$42–$82||$75–$125||4-48 hours||B||VISIT SITE|
|AFC Home Club||Best for Customization||$34–$53||$75–$125||24-48 hours||B||VISIT SITE|
|Liberty Home Guard|
|Best For||Best Customer Ratings|
|Response Time||Up to 48 hours|
|American Home Shield|
|Best For||Best for Comprehensive Coverage|
|Response Time||Up to 48 hours|
|Select Home Warranty|
|Best For||Best Value|
|Response Time||48-84 hours|
|First American Home Warranty|
|Best For||Best Appliance Coverage|
|Response Time||4-48 hours|
BBB ratings are accurate as of October 2023.
How Are Home Warranties Regulated in New York?
New York’s Department of Financial Services (DFS) regulates home warranty companies and service contracts. Unlike some states, New York classifies home warranties as insurance. According to Insurance Chapter 28, home warranty companies must provide annual financial reports to the DFS to ensure their financial well-being.
If you are involved in a contractual dispute with your home warranty company, you can fill out a complaint form with the DFS.
In addition to government oversight, industry associations regulate home warranties. For example, the Service Contract Industry Council (SCIC) creates regulatory legislation alongside state lawmakers. These regulations center on consumer protection.
How Much Do Home Warranties Cost in New York?
On average, expect to pay $72 per month for a home warranty plan in New York. For those who prefer paying an annual premium, expect to pay $864. Numerous factors influence how much a home warranty costs. The extent of coverage is the biggest contributor to plan cost. Based on the hundreds of quotes we’ve pulled from dozens of home warranty companies, we’ve found that providers that offer more coverage options tend to cost more.
Where you live in New York also influences your home warranty costs. If you live in a metropolitan area, such as New York City, you’ll typically pay more for a plan than someone living upstate. We’ve found that contractors charge more for services in metropolitan areas. Home warranty companies offset these higher costs by charging higher premiums.
Annual Home Warranty Cost Calculator
Our team created a calculator to break down the estimated annual cost of owning a home warranty. Enter your monthly premium, service call fee, and estimated number of claims to see your projected annual cost. It’s best to request a quote directly from one of our recommended providers, as annual costs and service fees vary between them.
|Appliance||Average Repair Cost||Average Replacement Cost|
Note: The annual cost figure generated by our home warranty calculator is not an indication of a company’s actual plan cost, as annual costs and service fees vary based on your plan selections and your home’s size, type, and location.
Factors To Consider Before Buying a New York Home Warranty
Consider the following factors before signing up for a New York home warranty to ensure you purchase the right policy for your needs:
- Coverage caps: Find out how much a provider will pay for an appliance or system repair. Avoid companies that only cover the repair value of covered items; there are many companies that cover both the repair and replacement value.
- Fine print: Read the sample contract of each home warranty company you’re considering. Compare the contract terms of each company and select the one that offers the best coverage.
- Reputation: Do your due diligence and research a company’s reputation. Read online customer reviews for insight into how the company handles customer service requests. Also, confirm that the company holds the necessary licenses to operate in New York.
Expert Takes on Home Warranties
We interviewed experts who interact with home warranties to supplement our research. We asked them to answer the following common questions homeowners have about home warranties:
- Are there things I should know about the claims process? David Tully, founder of LPT Realty, says there are several things to know about the home warranty claims process. “You need to understand how to file a claim to your provider and how quickly you can expect a response from them,” he says. “Also, get to know the turnaround time they would take for the repairs and replacements,” he adds.
- Is a New York home warranty worth buying for an older home? Dave Bringer, the head technician of Bringer Appliance Repair, says, “Older homes need home warranties because their appliances and systems have most likely used their manufacturer’s warranty coverage.”
- What should I look for when shopping for a New York home warranty company? Arthur Chartrand, who is of counsel to the National Home Service Contract Association, recommends the following: “Look for a company who lists their full name, address, and who their management is.” He also emphasizes the importance of reading and understanding your service contract. “Make sure it’s what you need,” he adds.
Whether you live in New York City or the Adirondacks, a home warranty will provide peace of mind and protect your major home systems and appliances if they break down unexpectedly. Our top pick, American Home Shield, offers the most comprehensive coverage plans. If you need more variety in add-on coverage, consider Liberty Home Guard as your provider. Select Home Warranty provides systems and appliance coverage for lower costs.
Before buying a home warranty plan, we recommend getting quotes from at least three providers so you can compare pricing.
Other Resources for Residents in New York
- Best Homeowners Insurance in New York
- Best Solar Companies in New York
- Best Moving Companies in New York
FAQ About Home Warranties in New York
Does a home warranty cover roofs?
Not all home warranty companies offer roof-leak protection. Some companies, such as Liberty Home Guard and American Home Shield, give you an add-on option that covers roof leaks for an additional cost each month.
How do you cancel a home warranty service contract?
You can easily cancel a home warranty plan by contacting the company’s customer service department. Different companies have different policies on when you can cancel, what the refund process looks like, and if you will be charged a cancellation fee, so make sure to read your contract’s terms and conditions before signing up for a plan.
Do home warranties help you save money?
Yes, home warranties help you save money on unexpected system and appliance repairs. Home warranty coverage greatly reduces or eliminates your repair and replacement costs, depending on your coverage limits. They also offer financial protection against issues resulting from normal wear and tear or improper installations.
How Do I Find the Best Home Warranty Company in My Area?
Find in-depth reviews on the best home warranty companies for each state and major U.S. city below.
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
- New Mexico
- New York
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- Rhode Island
- South Carolina
- South Dakota
- West Virginia
Our Rating Methodology
We back up our home warranty ratings and recommendations with a detailed rating methodology to score each provider objectively. We conduct research by speaking with company representatives, requesting quotes, analyzing sample contracts, and conducting focus groups and consumer surveys.
We score each provider against our review standards, which include four comparison categories: coverage, value, trust and transparency, and availability and service. We rate each provider across 31 factors within these categories. Each factor is assigned a point value based on its importance to a homeowner, totaling 100 points. We then convert the final scores to a 5-star rating.
Here’s a breakdown of our weighted factors:
- Coverage (40%): We scored coverage based on included home systems and appliances, add-on options, and unique benefits. We also compared coverage caps and policy exclusions.
- Additional coverage items
- Annual coverage cap
- Home systems coverage
- Major appliances coverage
- Obstructed wall coverage cap
- Value (30%): We compared the coverage level received to monthly pricing to determine plan value. We considered premium pricing, service fees, and flexibility in customizing plan costs.
- Average monthly cost
- Cost flexibility
- Lowest service fee
- Trust and Transparency (16%): We evaluated each company’s reputation using the Better Business Bureau ratings and customer reviews on third-party review sites. We read through plan change policies, workmanship protections, and sample contract availability.
- Brand reputation
- Policy change flexibility
- Sample contract availability
- Workmanship guarantee length
- Availability and Service (14%): We award higher scores for faster claim processing and response times. We also considered service technician policies, including options to choose your technician.
- Claims process
- Guaranteed response time
- Service flexibility
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.