Whether you’re remodeling a home near Buffalo or creating an off-grid cabin near Syracuse, New York state offers plenty of sunshine and incentives for transitioning to solar power. Selecting a provider can be more daunting; according to the Solar Energy Industries Association (SEIA), there are more than 600 solar companies in the Empire State.
The This Old House Home Reviews Team has rigorously researched the top professional solar companies in New York to help you decide. This guide covers the top six providers’ warranties, costs, and solar panel offerings.
Our Top Solar Company Picks for New York
Solar Incentives in New York
New York offers plenty of solar incentives for homeowners transitioning to clean energy. We’ve listed some of the most popular New York solar incentives below.
- The NY-Sun Initiative: The NY-Sun Initiative offers increased rebates for households earning less than 80% of the median income in their area. The program requires minor, low-cost energy efficiency upgrades to your home.
- The Megawatt Block Incentive Structure: This incentive provides up to $1,000 for every kilowatt (kW) of solar power installed.
- New York State Solar Equipment Tax Credit: This is a 25% state tax credit for home solar systems purchased in New York. The credit maxes out at a $5,000 reduction on state taxes.
- Solar Electric Generating System Tax Abatement (SEGS): SEGS offers a property tax exemption on the added home value from solar panels and solar storage systems. This is a four-year tax reduction of 5% of eligible expenditures. The maximum reduction is $62,500 per year for four years or the building’s annual tax liability, whichever is less.
New York homeowners can also take advantage of the federal solar tax credit. This federal tax credit equals 30% of your solar installation costs. You must install your solar system between 2022 and 2032 to qualify. The rate will decrease to 26% in 2033. If you owe less taxes than the credit, the unused credit will roll over to the next year.
Momentum Solar is not only one of the best solar providers in New York but also in the United States. The company offers an expansive customer support team and works with various solar panel manufacturers to create custom solar systems.
SunPower is an excellent option for those interested in maximizing their system’s efficiency. We recommend Solanta Solar if you want a company with extensive knowledge about New York’s local laws and incentives.
Get quotes from at least three providers to accurately compare solar panel costs and offerings. Use our tool below to get matched to top solar providers in New York.
Our Rating Methodology
The This Old House Reviews Team is committed to providing comprehensive and unbiased reviews to our readers. After over a thousand hours of research on solar companies, interviews with experts, and common customer needs, we’ve created a detailed rating system for solar providers based on six factors:
- Solar equipment, installation, and services (25%)
- Warranty and performance guarantees (25%)
- Brand reputation and certifications (15%)
- Financing options (15%)
- Experience (10%)
- Availability (10%)
Total scores are divided by 20 for a final 5-point rating scale.
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews team at email@example.com.