Using solar power as a supplement or replacement for conventional electricity has become popular over the years, particularly in residential neighborhoods. With the cost of solar panel installation decreasing over the past 10 years and government incentives awarded to solar panel owners, solar energy has established itself as a viable alternative power source.
The This Old House Reviews Team is here to help you take advantage of this flourishing industry with in-depth research on the best solar companies in the United States.
ADT Solar, formerly known as Sunpro Solar, provides solar panel and battery installation services to customers in 21 different states.
Read our review on ADT Solar’s services, warranties, and purchasing options to decide if it’s the best solar provider for your home.
Our Take on ADT Solar
ADT Solar offers comprehensive warranties and system monitoring to help support customers once their solar energy system is installed. Its transparent purchasing options and A+ rating from the BBB make ADT Solar a trusted provider for homeowners looking into solar.
We like the comprehensive 25-year labor and equipment warranty, plus the 25-year power production guarantee. We also like that ADT Solar offers three financing options and solar equipment from multiple well-respected manufacturers. Our primary concern with ADT Solar is the many negative customer reviews citing slow installation or improperly installed panels.
ADT Solar Services and Panel Options
ADT Solar sells monocrystalline solar panels, which have efficiency rates between 15% and 20% and an average life span of 25–40 years. Its panels are from some of the world’s most popular solar manufacturers, including Q Cells, Silfab, and Canadian Solar.
ADT also sells solar batteries and microinverters.
- Backup battery: A backup battery stores your system’s excess energy in case of a power grid outage or period of minimal sunlight. ADT Solar lets you customize your system with your choice of battery backup, including popular options such as the Tesla Powerwall 2 and the Enphase Encharge 10.
- Microinverters: ADT Solar also sells Enphase inverters. These are what allow renewable energy to be converted into electricity directly at each panel. This helps you avoid higher costs and complications from a system that requires multiple cables and junction boxes.
ADT offers installation services for both panels and batteries. The company also has a roofing company, Buildpro, that helps you take care of installing a new roof and solar at the same time.
ADT Solar Installation Process
If you’re looking to integrate solar panels with your home’s electrical system, consider solar panel system installation from ADT Solar.
- Site assessment—To begin, ADT Solar will send a team of solar consultants to your home to determine if your home can support solar panels. Solar panels are most efficient when installed on a roof that’s facing south with little shade coverage. If your roof gets too much shade or has too steep of an incline, you may not be able to install a system.
- Design—ADT’s expert design team will work with you to create the ideal solar array for your roof and energy needs.
- Permitting—Before your installation can begin, ADT Solar acquires the necessary permits that your municipality requires.
- Installation—Once your home is approved for installation, ADT Solar technicians install your selected solar panels and connect your system to the electrical grid. If you want to store excess energy collected by your solar panels, ADT Solar offers battery backup installation.
- Inspection—ADT will work with a local building inspector to make sure your system is up to code.
- System connection—Once your inspection is approved, ADT will turn on your system, and you can connect it to your local utility company’s power grid.
ADT Solar Payment Options
ADT Solar provides three financing options:
- Full purchase: If you can afford it, fully purchasing your system up-front comes with the most financial advantages. You’ll qualify for the federal solar tax credit, will own your system from day one, and won’t pay interest fees on a loan.
- Solar loan: With a solar loan, you’ll pay a fixed monthly payment based on your credit score. This option also gives you system ownership and qualifies you for solar incentives. However, the loan’s interest rates mean you’ll pay more for the system in the long run.
- Solar lease: Leasing solar panels means you pay the solar company monthly for the system but don’t own it and don’t qualify for most solar incentives.
ADT Solar Warranty Options
ADT offers customers competitive warranty coverage on both equipment and labor. Most solar companies offer a 10-, 20-, or 25-year warranty. ADT Solar provides a 25-year warranty and performance guarantee.
Here’s a breakdown of coverage with ADT:
- 25-year labor guarantee on workmanship
- 25-year power production guarantee that states if your system does not produce the amount of energy guaranteed, you’ll receive the difference in cash
- 25-year panel performance guarantee to cover any other issues that may arise with your panels
- 25-year Enphase microinverters guarantee to cover any issues that may occur with your system’s Enphase microinverters
ADT Solar State Availability
See if ADT Solar is available in your state:
See how ADT Solar compares to other providers on price, warranty coverage, availability, and more.
Is Solar Worth It?
If you have a suitable property, installing a solar panel system is absolutely worth it, both financially and environmentally. Benefits include:
- Renewable energy: Solar energy is a natural, infinite resource.
- Lower energy bills: Sourcing some or all of your home’s electricity needs from solar panels instead of your local utility company’s power grid saves electricity bill costs.
- Increased home value: Solar systems can increase home value.
- Reduced environmental impact: Opting for a renewable energy source reduces your carbon footprint and is a more sustainable way to power your home.
You’ll benefit from going solar if:
- Your property gets plenty of sun exposure
- You live in an area that uses net-metering
- You have high utility bills
- You qualify for solar incentives that can save you money
Learn more about whether solar is worth it for your property.
Solar Incentives and Rebates
Most states offer solar incentives and rebates to help buyers save money on their solar power systems. While this varies by state, common incentives include:
- Property tax exemption: Participating states waive the additional property taxes associated with a solar panel system.
- Sales tax exemption: Some states waive sales tax on solar equipment.
- Federal solar tax credit: The federal government allows those who own their system to claim 30% of the total system cost on their taxes the year of installation. Note that this requires system ownership, so only those who purchase their system outright or through a solar loan qualify.
- Net-metering: Net-metering is a program that allows you to sell any excess energy your system generates to your local utility company.
ADT Solar has several selling points. Its warranty is one of the market’s strongest and it offers a wide selection of solar products from reputable manufacturers. We also like that the company can provide roof repair services so both projects can be taken care of at the same time.
We are concerned about the high number of negative customer reviews pointing to poor service and workmanship. We suggest doing further research into customer feedback on review sites and asking your local ADT Solar company for location-specific testimonials and references.
Before deciding on any company to handle your solar project, we recommend thoroughly looking at a provider’s website, warranty, customer reviews, and reputation. Get an online estimate from at least three companies to compare pricing before making your purchase.
ADT Solar Mobile App
ADT Solar offers the ADT Solar Referral app. This app lets you earn money by referring your friends to ADT’s solar or roofing services.
You receive $35 for each qualified referral and $25 for your friend(s) meeting with the company. If your referral chooses solar services with ADT Solar, you receive an additional $1,000. If they get a new roof, you receive $500.
ADT Solar relies on the solar equipment manufacturer Enphase to offer 24/7 solar monitoring services. This app lets you analyze system performance against weather data. You can also verify your solar system’s health and share metrics on social media platforms.