Using solar power as a supplement or replacement for conventional electricity has become popular over the years, particularly in residential neighborhoods. With the cost of solar panel installation decreasing over the past 10 years and government incentives awarded to solar panel owners, solar energy has established itself as a viable alternative power source.
The This Old House Reviews Team is here to help you take advantage of this flourishing industry with in-depth research on the best solar companies in the United States. ADT Solar, formerly known as Sunpro Solar, provides solar panel and battery installation services to customers in 21 different states. Read our review on ADT Solar’s services, warranties, and purchasing options to decide if it’s the best solar provider for your home.
Our Take on ADT Solar
ADT Solar offers comprehensive warranties and system monitoring to help support customers once their solar energy system is installed. Its transparent purchasing options and A+ rating from the BBB make ADT Solar a trusted provider for homeowners looking into solar. To further the customer support you receive, ADT Solar is owned by one of the most trusted and reputable names in home security, ADT.
Pros and Cons of ADT Solar
✔ Comes with 24/7 solar monitoring
✔ Offers a 25-year warranty on panel, inverter, and labor
✔ Guarantees panel power production for 25 years
✘ Not available nationwide
✘ Doesn’t provide upfront pricing information online
ADT Solar State Availability
ADT Solar currently offers its services in the following 21 states: Arizona, Arkansas, California, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, and Virginia.
ADT Solar Panel Options
ADT Solar offers a variety of services, including solar panel installation, battery backup installation, and online monitoring. The company provides monocrystalline solar panels produced by popular brands, including Panasonic.
Not only do you receive the most efficient type of solar panel on the market, but you receive panels produced by one of the most recognizable names in electronics. Monocrystalline solar panels feature efficiency rates around 15–20% and average a lifespan of 25–40 years.
Below are other components and features of ADT Solar’s solar system:
- Backup Battery: ADT Solar can install a solar battery for your home. This helps you keep excess energy in case of a power grid outage or during non-sunlight hours. ADT Solar lets you customize your system with your choice of battery backup, including popular options like the Tesla Powerwall 2 and the Enphase Encharge 10.
- Microinverters: ADT Solar provides inverters from Enphase Energy for its inverters. With Enphase’s microinverters, renewable energy is converted into electricity directly at each panel. This helps you avoid higher costs and complications from a system that requires multiple cables and junction boxes.
ADT Solar Warranty Options
ADT Solar offers three warranties to solar customers:
- A 25-year power production guarantee
- A 25-year panel and inverter warranty
- A 25-year labor warranty that covers the efficiency and parts of your solar panel system
ADT Solar Panel Installation
If you’re looking to integrate solar panels with your home’s electrical system, consider solar panel system installation from ADT Solar.
- Site assessment—To begin, ADT Solar will send a team of solar consultants to your home to determine if your home can support solar panels. Solar panels are most efficient when installed on a roof that’s facing south with little shade coverage. If your roof gets too much shade or has too steep of an incline, you may not be able to install a system.
- Permitting—Before your installation can begin, ADT Solar acquires the necessary permits that your municipality requires.
- Installation—Once your home is approved for installation, ADT Solar technicians install your selected solar panels and connect your system to the electrical grid. If you want to store excess energy collected by your solar panels, ADT Solar offers battery backup installation.
ADT Solar Reviews
ADT Solar is accredited by the Better Business Bureau (BBB), where it holds an A rating. This rating is based on the BBB’s understanding of how the company handles customer complaints.
Many customers praise ADT Solar for its quick installations and response times, but other customers point to ADT’s acquisition of the company leading to spam calls. ADT Solar appears to be highly responsive to customer complaints on the BBB site. Please note that some reviewers refer to ADT Solar by its former name, Sunpro Solar.
Here’s a sample of the company’s BBB customer reviews:
“We had a very good experience with Sunpro. Installation was completed in less than 2 weeks after signing up. The installation was conducted by a very friendly, efficient team, who installed 40 panels, set the control box and wired into our breaker panel in less than a day. They left the job site very clean and he city inspection was conducted before the crew left the site.” — Beth R.
“This company gets stuff done! It is a bit of a process getting solar panels but once the final inspection is complete the electricity bills are DRASTICALLY reduced. Plus their referral program is amazing and they keep you up to date through the entire process. Highly recommended!” — Phil H.
“Since being purchased by ADT, I’ve been receiving multiple robo calls a day from Sunpro. I’m a client of ADT, who clearly shared my contact info with Sunpro upon acquisition. Do not do business with either. Shady data sharing and promotional tactics break the laws in place for appropriate phone solicitation.” — Kelly J.
“I canceled [Sunpro Solar]. [The] project manager sent me a copy of the contract stating I owed $3,000 for canceling. The address on the contract was another city 50 miles away. No quality control. I’m over 65 and the contract states signers over 65 have 1
5 days to cancel. 4 months later Venturer (Sunpro advocate?) want[s] me to give [it] $3,000. I turned the whole mess over to ADT customer relations. I don’t think Venturer knew that Sunpro had recently been [acquired] by ADT Systems.” — Cindy
“Installation was efficient and I’m seeing anticipated savings on my electric bill. Not entirely bad, but I can’t recommend this company. They don’t have an adequate process in place to ensure the financial settlement is complete and accurate. And they don’t have a final check process to make sure everything is working properly.” — Mary Jo H.
“Our last electric bill was $16.61. Basically, we have traded our electric bill for our payment on the solar panels, except that when the panels are paid for, we will own them, and still have very little to pay the electric company. The app on our phones is fun to watch as we can see how much electricity the panels are producing, and also how much electric we are consuming.” — Sandra R.
*Better Business Bureau information accurate as of August 2022.
ADT Solar Mobile App
ADT Solar offers the ADT Solar Referral app. This app lets you earn money by referring your friends to ADT’s solar or roofing services. You receive $35 for each qualified referral and $25 for your friend(s) meeting with the company. If your referral chooses solar services with ADT Solar, you receive an additional $1,000. If they get a new roof, you receive $500.
ADT Solar relies on the solar equipment manufacturer Enphase to offer 24/7 solar monitoring services. This app lets you analyze system performance against weather data. You can also verify your solar system’s health and share metrics on social media platforms.
ADT Solar Payment Options
ADT Solar provides three options for purchasing your solar panel system and battery backup:
- Purchase—If you buy your system outright, you’ll save money and qualify for the tax credits and state incentives available to solar owners.
- Finance—Financing qualifies you for government incentives provided through fully purchasing the system, but you’ll need to take out a loan.
- Lease—When leasing solar panels, the leasing company pays for the panels and cost of installation. However, the leasing company receives the solar incentives and rebates, while you receive solar energy at a monthly cost.
Homeowners qualify for a federal tax credit equal to 30% of the price of their solar panel system. On the state level, you can save money on your solar system through various policies and incentives. Learn more about qualifying savings in your state by visiting the Database of State Incentives for Renewables & Efficiency.
ADT Solar is a reputable solar panel installer that offers comprehensive customer service and reliable installation. Although the company doesn’t list the cost of its services online, ADT is transparent in its estimate and installation process.
If you’re interested in solar services from a reputable provider, you can get a free quote by filling out this simple online form.
Compare ADT Solar to Other Solar Providers
|Provider||ADT Solar||Semper Solaris||Sunrun|
|Solar services||Solar panels, battery backup, installation||Solar panel installation, battery backup, installation, maintenance||Solar panels, battery backup, installation|
|Service areas||21 states||California||20 states|
|Panels offered||Panasonic, various manufacturers||Silfab, LG, Panasonic, Solaria||Various manufacturers|
|Warranty length||25-year power production, panel, inverter, and labor warranty||25-year bumper-to-bumper warranty||10–25 years|
|Payment options||Buy, finance, lease||Buy, finance, power purchase agreement||Buy, finance, lease, power purchase agreement|
ADT Solar Overview
- Company name: ADT Solar
- Company type: Private
- CEO: Marc Jones
- Founded: 2008
- Address: 128 Northpark Blvd. Covington, LA 70433
- Phone: 985-249-2647
- Website: https://www.goadtsolar.com/
Frequently Asked Questions About ADT Solar
Our Rating Methodology
The This Old House Reviews Team is committed to providing comprehensive and unbiased reviews to our readers. This means earning your trust through transparent reviews and having the data to back up our ratings and recommendations. Our rating system for solar companies is on a 100-point scale based on five factors:
- Payment options (40 points): Options include purchase, loan, lease, and Power Purchase Agreements (PPAs). Companies receive points for each of those four options it provides.
- Solar services (30 points): Does the company provide in-house installation of solar panels and battery backups? Can the company also monitor energy production and perform energy-efficiency audits to ensure system performance. The more options available, the higher the score.
- Warranty options (10 points): The success of a residential solar system depends on the workmanship, performance guarantees, and length of product coverage. We score companies based on the number of warranty options available. The more warranties a company offers, the higher the score it receives.
- State Availability (10 points): We award the most points to companies with the broadest service area and state availability.
- Reputation (10 points): We factor in how the Business Better Bureau (BBB) scores each company. We deduct points for any alerts or pending lawsuits.
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at email@example.com.