Green Home Systems is one of the best solar companies for solar roofs, an advancing technology in the solar industry. Solar roofs use high-efficiency solar shingles to create a system with the same benefits as traditional panels but a less distracting look, allowing you to save money on energy bills without detracting from your curb appeal.
Green Home Systems also offers traditional solar panels and other products like solar batteries. Learn more about its pricing, services, and warranties in our review.
Our Take on Green Home Systems
Green Home Systems installs high-efficiency solar panels and solar shingles and tiles that blend in better with your roof. GHS also provides an industry-standard 25-year equipment and workmanship warranty to protect your investment. We especially like GHS’ solar roofing system, a competitive option compared to other high-end solar companies, such as Tesla.
Green Home Systems Solar Overview
- BBB rating: Not rated
- Year founded: 2017
- State availability: 9*
- Warranty options: 25-year equipment and performance warranty
- Payment options: Full purchase and loan
*Available in California, Nevada, New Mexico, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Texas, Wyoming, Missouri, and Minnesota.
Best Solar Companies of 2023
Here are some of our other picks for the best solar companies:
Green Home Systems Solar Services and Panel Options
Green Home Systems offers a variety of monocrystalline solar panels from some of the best solar panel brands, including Panasonic, LG Solar, and LONGi. The company also offers various inverters from SolarEdge and SolarArk, plus microinverters from Enphase. Inverters are the part of a solar system that convert direct current (DC) energy from the sun into usable alternating current (AC) energy to power your home. We recommend asking about GHS’ microinverters, as this type of inverter has higher efficiency rates than standard options.
GHS also installs solar batteries from Enphase, LG, Solar, and Homegrid Energy. These are some of the best solar batteries available. The company offers nonsolar backup generators from Generac.
Green Home Systems stands out for its solar roofs. The company partners with CertainTeed, a leading solar technology manufacturer, for this service. Namely, it uses the Apollo II solar shingles system. The Apollo Tile II system uses flat concrete tile configurations. This design is lightweight, watertight, and wind-resistant.
Below is a breakdown of Green Home Systems’ solar panel selection:
- LG: GHS uses LG’s Neon 2 LG365N1K-A6 solar panels. These 60-cell, high-efficiency monocrystalline solar panels have a low-temperature coefficient, meaning their performance isn’t affected by heat as much as other panels. They also work well on cloudy days, as the panels perform well in shady conditions.
- LONGi: GHS offers LONGi’s LR4-60HPB-350W solar panels. These are high-efficiency, low LID Mono PERC solar panels with half-cut technology designed for residential use. They’re engineered with the highest-grade silicon available and yield high energy outputs even in low operating temperatures.
- Panasonic: GHS offers two Panasonic solar panels from the brand’s EverVolt Black Series: the 360 watt (W) and 350 W models. Both panels have industry-leading conversion efficiency rates and low degradation rates, helping them to produce more power long-term. They have superior module efficiencies of 20.6% (360 W) and 20% (350 W) and greater performance in high temperatures.
Green Home Systems Installation Process
Homeowners can begin the Green Home Systems installation process by calling the company or filling out an interest form online. We’ve outlined the company’s five-step installation process below.
- Consultation: A GHS salesperson will create a custom quote based on your home’s energy needs and structure. The free quote includes projected energy savings and system details. During this step, you can also ask questions about your solar panel system or the installation process.
- Surveying: Next, a GHS project manager will visit your home in person. They’ll measure your roof and analyze your home’s layout to design a system tailored to your home and energy needs.
- Design: GHS provides a final estimate with your contract terms. This contract includes all system information, including additional costs for solar accessories or upgrades like solar batteries. Once the contract is signed, the company will design your system and schedule an installation date.
- Installation: GHS uses certified third-party installers in your service area. Installation typically only takes a day or two. The installation team will handle all necessary steps, including submitting permits and coordinating required site inspections.
- Activation: Once the team completes the installation, GHS will handle all final city permits and approval. Typically, you’ll need a follow-up inspection from your local utility company. Your solar project will be operational once your local municipality grants permission to operate (PTO).
Green Home Systems Reviews
Green Home Systems is not rated by the Better Business Bureau (BBB), but it is accredited by the organization.* Companies sometimes aren’t rated by the BBB if there’s not yet enough data for a rating or their rating is under review.
GHS has an impressive customer review score of over 4.5 stars. The few negative reviews were either from contractors working with the company or homeowners who noticed installation errors. Most reviews praise GHS’s flexibility, easy installation process, and friendly customer support staff.
Read what previous GHS customers had to say about their experiences below.
“We had trouble finding a contractor in our area to do a ground-mounted system. Green Home Systems was very open to the concept, and explored several possibilities on our heavily wooded property. They were responsive to our needs and desires. Workers were professional and efficient. The system works well, and it is great to have the power company owing us!” — Diane P. via BBB.
“I had a great experience with Green Home Systems. They were easy to work with. They worked around my crazy schedule since I work night shift and travel frequently. The installation looks nice and the panels seem to be working great so far.” — Sean E. via BBB.
“The installation of 20 panels with battery backup was completed on October 21. Our main reason for installing a $57,000 system was in case of [power outages]. Seven months later, when the grid goes down so does our battery backed up solar system. No one returns calls and no one knows anything. I[‘]ve been passed around and still getting nowhere.” — Denise O. via BBB.
“I purchase[d] a system from Green Home Systems and had it installed in early 2021. [I]n July of this year[,] the system stopped working entirely. It is now October, and I am still waiting for a new inverter[,] so that the local installer can get the system running again.” — Edgar M. via BBB.
*BBB ratings are current as of June 2023.
Green Home Systems App
GHS has a smartphone app called the Green Home Ambassador Referral app. It’s free for those who want to earn rewards by sending referrals to the company. The company will also help you connect to an external active monitoring app depending on your product selection. For example, you will receive a different monitoring app for SolarEdge products than Enphase products.
Green Home Systems Payment Options
Green Home Systems offers the following two solar panel financing options.
- Cash purchase: A cash purchase involves paying for your system in full with cash or credit card. Though this requires a hefty up-front investment, it offers the best return on investment (ROI) and long-term savings. You’ll also qualify for solar incentives and credits available since you legally own your system, and you’ll increase your home value.
- Solar loan: Solan loans allow you to pay for your system in monthly installments over a fixed period. You’ll still legally own your system and qualify for solar incentives. However, you’ll pay more for your system in total due to interest rates.
Green Home Systems Warranty Options
Green Home Systems includes a 25-year equipment warranty and a 25-year performance guarantee with all of its panels. This combination 25-year warranty ensures the panels perform at their estimated efficiency for most of their life span.
Green Home Systems operates in nine states: California, Nevada, New Mexico, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Texas, Wyoming, Missouri, and Minnesota. Use our tool below to check if the company services your specific address.
Compare Green Home Systems to Other Solar Providers
Use our table below to quickly compare GHS to other top-rated solar installation companies.
Is Solar Worth it?
Yes, solar panels are worth it. They help you reduce your carbon footprint by generating clean, renewable energy for your home and reducing your reliance on costly fossil fuels. They also help you save money on your energy bills and increase your home’s value by an average of 15%. Finally, you can receive additional monetary benefits from your local utility company, state government, and the federal government.
Solar Incentives and Rebates
Green Home Systems operates in many states that offer solar tax incentives and rebates. Available incentives vary by state and ZIP code. For example, California’s solar incentives include a statewide net-metering program and a rebate of up to $2,500 for Sacramento residents.
Every homeowner in the United States who owns their solar system qualifies for the federal tax credit. This provides a federal tax deduction equal to 30% of your solar panel installation costs. Leasing and PPA customers don’t qualify.
Use our tool below to see what solar incentives are available for your address.
We recommend Green Home Systems to homeowners within its service area, particularly those interested in solar roofs. The company designs custom solar roofs with high-quality solar equipment, including solar batteries. We also like that it has solid warranty options and a positive reputation among customers.
We recommend getting at least three quotes from solar providers to compare services and pricing. Use our tool below to start requesting quotes from installers near you.
We also recommend using this comparison tool to get matched with the best local incentives and quotes.
Our Rating Methodology
The This Old House Reviews Team is committed to providing comprehensive and unbiased reviews to our readers. After over a thousand hours of research on solar companies, interviews with experts, and common customer needs, we’ve created a detailed rating system for solar providers based on six factors:
- Solar equipment, installation, and services (25%)
- Warranty and performance guarantees (25%)
- Brand reputation and certifications (15%)
- Financing options (15%)
- Experience (10%)
- Availability (10%)
Total scores are divided by 20 for a final 5-point rating scale.
To share feedback or ask a question ab