Tesla makes top-tier solar panels for homes that are able to supplement homeowners’ energy needs with sustainable power. The company is also transparent about its solar panel offerings, informing online customers about the design, capabilities, and estimated cost of each system.
Tesla provides installation to most areas nationwide either directly or through its Certified Installer Program, which includes some of the nation’s highest quality local and regional installation companies.
Read our in-depth review of Tesla’s solar panels, warranties, related products, and sample customer reviews to find out if it’s the best solar provider for your home.
*Certified installers vary by region—we always recommend requesting multiple quotes.
Our Take on Tesla Solar Panels
We found Tesla to be the most available provider in our ratings, serving all 50 states. However, it’s important to understand that Tesla doesn’t install their own panels, so we recommend finding a Tesla-certified solar installer in your area to work on your home.
Tesla offers solar panels with a sleek design that blends into your existing roof. Tesla’s transparent pricing information and detailed website makes it a smart choice for customers who want to learn more about solar panels without the help of a sales representative.
Compare the advantages and disadvantages of Tesla solar panels below.
Pros and Cons of Tesla Solar Panels
Compare Solar Companies
|Star Rating||Superlative||Location Presence||BBB Rating||Link|
|SunPower||Best High-Efficiency System||50 States||A+||Get Quote|
|ADT Solar||Best Solar Warranty||23 States||A+||Get Quote|
|Momentum||Best Solar Panel Installation||11 States||A+||Get Quote|
|Blue Raven||Most Reputable||22 States||A+||Get Quote|
|Green Home Systems||Best Solar Roofs||10 States||A+||Get Quote|
|Elevation||Best Energy-Efficient Upgrades||5 States||A+||Get Quote|
|Trinity||Best Certified Installer||9 States||A+||Get Quote|
|Sunrun||Best Solar Panel Leasing||20 States||A+||Get Quote|
|Tesla Solar||Best Solar Tech||50 States||NR||Get Quote|
|Palmetto||Best Customer Support||24 States||A+||Get Quote|
|Superlative||Best High-Efficiency System|
|Location Presence||50 States|
|Superlative||Best Solar Warranty|
|Location Presence||23 States|
|Superlative||Best Solar Panel Installation|
|Location Presence||11 States|
|Location Presence||22 States|
|Green Home Systems|
|Superlative||Best Solar Roofs|
|Location Presence||10 States|
|Superlative||Best Energy-Efficient Upgrades|
|Location Presence||5 States|
|Superlative||Best Certified Installer|
|Location Presence||9 States|
|Superlative||Best Solar Panel Leasing|
|Location Presence||20 States|
|Superlative||Best Solar Tech|
|Location Presence||50 States|
Tesla Solar Panel Design Options
Tesla designs its minimalistic solar panels with no visible grid, a concealed edge, and a low profile. The panels interlock when installed, forming one solid solar panel array.
The panels are also durable, withstanding temperatures of up to 185 degrees Fahrenheit.
Tesla streamlines its design process by offering solar systems in standardized sizes: small (12 panels), medium (24 panels), large (36 panels), and extra-large (48 panels).
Tesla Solar Panel Specifications
- Wattage: 425 watts
- Weight: 47.4 pounds
- Dimensions: 82.4 inches x 40.9 inches x 1.57 inches (including frame)
- Frame type: Black anodized aluminum
- Operating temperature: -40 degrees Fahrenheit to 185 degrees Fahrenheit
Other Solar Products Offered by Tesla
Tesla offers solar roofs and solar batteries in addition to its solar panel offerings.
- Powerwall: Solar batteries store excess energy generated by your solar panels to use at night, on low-sunlight days, or during power outages. The Tesla Powerwall solar battery, is one of the most popular available. It comes in two models: The Powerwall 2 and the Powerwall+.
- Solar roof: The Tesla solar roof is an alternative to solar panels that replaces your current roof with solar shingles that act as mini solar panels. This is a good option if you’re already considering installing a new roof.
Tesla Solar Warranty Options
All Tesla solar panels come with a 25-year performance guarantee which promises at least 80% power capacity for the warranty’s duration.
This is somewhat vague language compared to other solar installation companies’ warranties that state your guarantee is good for 25 years with no power capacity conditions.
Tesla also includes a 10-year comprehensive warranty. This applies to all solar system components including solar batteries, inverters, and any roof leaks or roof-mounting problems.
Tesla Solar Installation
Tesla handles your residential solar panel installation from start to finish. Here’s how the installation process works:
- Site assessment: Tesla surveys your roof using remote aerial technology to measure its area and slope.
- Design: Tesla designs your system to fit your home’s structure and energy needs.
- Permitting: Tesla ensures all necessary permits and inspections are completed before installation.
- Installation: You can choose an installation date that works with your schedule. Tesla says that most installations are completed in one day, and you only need to be at the house during the first hour. If you ordered a Powerwall battery, it will be activated and configured to Self-Consumption Only mode. This means that the Powerwall will produce only enough energy required to power your home and charge itself.
- Inspection: Tesla will work with your local building department to arrange an inspection after installation is completed.
- Energization and activation: Tesla then works with your local utility company to receive Permission to Operate (PTO) for your Tesla system. The company states that depending on your location, this may take one to six weeks.
Tesla Solar Mobile App
The Tesla app allows you to manage your Tesla solar system and other Tesla products 24/7. This allows you to integrate your solar panels, Powerwall, and Tesla electric vehicles into one user-friendly space.
The Tesla app displays a real-time power flow, showing how your Powerwall, grid connection, and solar system work together to provide energy to your home.
Here are some of the energy preferences you can customize your Tesla Powerwall with using the Tesla app:
- Self-powered: This setting lets you minimize your carbon footprint and become more energy independent.
- Time-based control: This setting helps lower your utility bill and maximize your economic benefit if your energy usage varies throughout the day.
- Storm Watch: This setting enables your Powerwall to react to inclement weather events that may cause a grid outage.
- Vehicle charging during power outage: This setting makes your Powerwall and Tesla electric vehicles balance charging and energy needs during any power grid outages.
Tesla Solar Panels Reviews
Tesla, Inc. isn’t accredited by the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and is currently not rated. It should be noted that some companies decide not to obtain accreditation from the BBB because it costs money.
Critical customer reviews mention difficulty scheduling maintenance or installation appointments. Other reviews praise Tesla’s friendly and helpful customer service representatives and the amount of savings.
Read what some Tesla Solar customers have said about their experiences below:
“The whole procedure was smooth and easy for me. Neal was an excellent advisor, clear, concise and knowledgeable. The installation company kept me up to date via email. It took very little effort on my part. My electricity bill has [been] $0.00 for the last three months!”—Randy W
“[Tesla Solar] had the statistics and details for me to ultimately negotiate the deal. Once I made my decision, the professional workmanship and wonderful customer service has been second to none. The install team really takes pride in their craft, and the communication has been first[-]rate.”—Al H.
“Recently bought a home that already had SolarCity / Tesla solar panels on the home. With the purchase of the home, there was an amendment to adjust the pricing per kWh for our new contract. We closed in June’21 and now in Oct’21 we still have been charged the original rate, and not the amended rate that was agreed upon on the transfer agreement. I have contacted Tesla many times, only to continue to be told I am right, it should be changed soon….”—Brandon S.
“I needed my solar panels removed because of needed roof repair. I informed Tesla of the issue and submitted the signed removal/installation documents on two occasions however I never received a scheduled date for the work. Due to the urgency of the needed work, I used a certified independent contractor to removed the solar panels and I informed Tesla beforehand of the removal and requested that Tesla reinstall the panels.”—Robert F.
*BBB information accurate as of November 2022.
Tesla Solar Payment Options
Tesla allows customers to buy their system up-front in cash or take out a loan in select states. Solar loans work similarly to a home or auto loan, with customers paying a monthly fee to own their panels and benefit from solar incentives.
Tesla Solar Panel Cost
Tesla provides a cost calculator to estimate solar panel installation costs based on your location and average monthly electric bill.
We requested a quote for a single-family home in Chapel Hill, North Carolina, with an average monthly electric bill of $170.
|System Size||Wattage||Total Price||Price After Incentives|
|Solar roof (6,106 square feet)||13.40 kW||$137,300||$96,110|
*Prices do not include the cost of a Powerwall home battery.
We received a quote of $10,442 for a Tesla solar power system. This includes installation costs and discounts from the federal solar tax credit, which provides a tax reduction equal to 30% of your installation costs.
Only customers who own their solar panels can take advantage of the federal tax credit. Some states offer additional rebates to solar customers.
Tesla is a solid choice if you’re looking for a solar panel company with transparent pricing information and a modern design.
Customers can install Tesla solar panels with a third-party installer. Enter your ZIP code below to get matched with installers near you.
Compare Tesla to Other Solar Providers
|Provider||Tesla||Semper Solaris||ADT Solar (formerly Sunpro Solar)|
|Solar services||Solar panel sales and installation, battery back-up, solar roof||Solar panel installation, battery back-up installation, solar maintenance services||Solar panel and battery back-up sales and installation|
|Service areas||Nationwide (installation availability varies by zip code)||California||Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Kansas, Louisiana, Missouri, Mississippi, New Mexico, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas|
|Panels offered||Tesla||Silfab, LG, Panasonic, Solaria||N/A|
|Warranty length||25-year performance guarantee||25-year bumper-to-bumper warranty||25-year power production, panel, inverter, and labor warranty|
|Payment options||Buy, finance, solar subscription||Buy, finance, power purchase agreement||Buy, finance, lease|
Tesla Company Overview
- Company name: Tesla Inc.
- Company type: Public
- CEO: Elon Musk
- Years in business: 17
- Address: 3500 Deer Creek Road, Palo Alto, CA 94304
- Phone: 1-888-518-3752
- Website: https://www.tesla.com/
Other Solar Panel Resources
- Solar Panel Cost
- Do Solar Panels Increase Home Value?
- Are Solar Panels Worth It?
- Types of Solar Panels
Frequently Asked Questions About Tesla Solar Panels
Our Rating Methodology
The This Old House Reviews Team is committed to providing comprehensive and unbiased reviews to our readers. After over a thousand hours of research on solar companies, interviews with experts, and common customer needs, we’ve created a detailed rating system for solar providers based on six factors:
- Solar equipment, installation, and services (25%)
- Warranty and performance guarantees (25%)
- Brand reputation and certifications (15%)
- Financing options (15%)
- Experience (10%)
- Availability (10%)
Total scores are divided by 20 for a final 5-point rating scale.
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews team at email@example.com.