Vector Security is one of the largest home security system providers in the industry and has been professionally installing home security systems and customizable alarm systems for over 50 years. If you’re considering installing a Vector security system, you might be wondering how much you should expect to pay and what types of packages are available.
Before you purchase a home security package, be sure to read our thorough Vector Security review to determine if Vector has the best home security services for you and your home.
Our Take on Vector Security
Vector Security is a well-known name in the home security industry. It has comprehensive security system packages and has an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau (BBB). However, it has expensive monthly fees compared to alternative home security companies.
Pros and Cons of Vector Security
|✔ Essential Security package comes with $0 equipment costs||✘ Strict cancellation policies have led to many customer complaints|
|✔ Wireless control panel is included on all packages for easy management||✘ Packages are more expensive than competing home security companies|
|✔ Has the ability to differentiate false alarm triggers (like delayed password inputs) from genuine emergencies||--|
Vector Security Packages and Equipment
Vector offers three levels of home security packages: the Essential Security, Home Automation, and Connected Home. Let’s take a closer look at what’s included in each package.
- “Essential Security” Package: The Essential Security package includes a wireless control panel, three door and window motion sensors, yard and window decals, and a motion sensor. It’s the most basic package available from Vector Security and it doesn’t include video monitoring.
- “Home Automation” Package: The Home Automation package includes everything in the Essential Security plan plus indoor video monitoring. As the name suggests, your Home Automation package can be connected with Vector Security’s app to view live video of what’s going on in your home.
- “Connected Home” Package: The Connected Home package extends the Home Automation package and offers improved synchronization and smart home features. In addition to everything in the Home Automation package, the Connected Home package includes a smart thermostat and a keyless door lock that you can control from the Vector Security app.
Note: All packages from Vector come with professional installation free of charge.
Vector Security Package Comparison
|Feature||"Essential Security" Package||"Home Automation" Package||"Connected Home" Package|
|Feature||"Essential Security" Package||"Home Automation" Package||"Connected Home" Package|
|Pricing||$44.95 per month for monitoring services and $0 down for equipment and labor||$59.95 per month for monitoring services and $99.00 down for equipment and labor||$69.95 per month for monitoring services and $149.00 down for equipment and labor|
|Mobile App Access||✗||✔||✔|
|Smart Home Compatibility||✗||✔||✔|
|Keyless Door Lock||✗||✗||✔|
Other Vector Security Products
In addition to these home security packages, Vector Security offers a wide range of smart devices you can use to enhance your home’s safety. Here are a few of the company’s most common extras:
- Smart Plug—The Smart Plug is an appliance plug that turns every appliance in your home into a smart appliance. Simply plug your Smart Plug into the outlet, plug your desired appliance into the outlet on the Smart Plug, and control your appliance through the Vector Security app.
- Smart Thermostat—Vector’s ENERGY STAR Smart Thermostat allows you to control your home’s temperature from your phone using the Vector Security app.
- Smart Light Bulbs—Vector Smart Light Bulbs are dimmable LED light bulbs that are completely controllable through the app.
- Security Cameras—Vector has offers the Indoor Camera 522, Video Doorbell Camera, Outdoor Camera, and Indoor Video Camera 622. The indoor camera has infrared night vision and secure cloud monitoring, while the outdoor camera is weather-resistant and provides 1080p HD video recording. The video doorbell camera monitors your home from the outside and the indoor video camera is designed for residential video monitoring.
Vector Security Pricing
The specific price you’ll pay for your home security system may vary depending on where you live and the add-ons you choose. Here’s what you might expect to pay for your Vector Security system in Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania:
- “Essential Security” Package: $44.95 per month for monitoring services and $0 down for included equipment and labor
- “Home Automation” Package: $59.95 per month for monitoring services and $99.00 down for included equipment and labor
- “Connected Home” Package: $69.95 per month for monitoring services and $149.00 down for included equipment and labor
Note: Every package includes a SecureCare warranty, which handles replacements and repairs at no extra cost to you.
Vector Security Customer Service
To get in contact with Vector customer service representatives, fill out this form on its contact page. You can also use Vector’s “View Our Branches” option to find the phone number for your local Vector Security branch.
Vector Security Reviews
Vector Security is currently accredited with the Better Business Bureau and maintains an A+ BBB rating. Customers on the BBB’s website have rated Vector, on average, three out of five stars.
Customers who had a positive experience with Vector Security praised the company’s friendly customer service and host of package options.
“I run a community watch organization and have recommended Vector to hundreds of homeowners in N.C. I have yet to hear about any customer service problem, on the contrary I have heard that these folks are happy and satisfied customers.” — Robert M. on 2/27/2019
Customers who had a negative experience with Vector often complained about how difficult it was to cancel their contract.
“Vector Security has made [the] cancellation policy extremely difficult for customers. We have been requesting to cancel this since last year due financial reasons and the fact the system does not work. We requested [a] service call and they came out and wanted $100 to fix the issue. We want [an end] to this mayhem and not deal with them anymore.” — Jean K. on 08/13/2018
Vector Security vs. Competitors
Though Vector is a top-rated home security company, there are other home security providers available that can protect your home. Compare the best home security providers below.
Top-Rated Alternatives to Vector Security
|View packages||View Plans||View Plans||Not available through This Old House|
|Equipment prices||Bundled with contract||$599.00 and up||$200.00 and up|
|Monitoring prices (per month)||$29.00 and up||$40.00 and up||$15.00 or $25.00|
|Contract required||36 months||No||No|
|Professional installation||$99.00 and up||Pricing by quote||$79.00|
|DIY installation||Not available||Not available||Yes|
|Mobile app access||Yes||Yes||With interactive monitoring|
|Smart home compatibility||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Video surveillance||Available||With camera purchase||With SimpliCam purchase|
|Video streaming capability||Available||With camera purchase||With SimpliCam purchase|
|Money-back guarantee||6 months (installation and monitoring fees)||Warranty only||60 days|
If you’re the type of homeowner who values an extended warranty, low installment and service costs, and high-tech smart devices, we highly recommend Vector Security. If you’re only interested in paying the least amount of money possible for your system or you think you may want to cancel your system in the future, Vector Security might not be right for you.
More Reviews on Home Security Systems
- ADT Home Security Review
- Vivint Home Security Review
- Alder Home Security Review
- SimpliSafe Home Security Review
- Nest Home Security Review
- Scout Home Security Review
- Canary Home Security Review
Our Rating Methodology
The This Old House Reviews Team is committed to providing comprehensive and unbiased reviews to our readers. This means earning your trust through transparent reviews and having the data to back up our ratings and recommendations. Our rating system for home security providers is on a 100-point scale based on 10 factors:
- Number of systems (5)
- Special features (10)
- Installation options (5)
- Connectivity and smart home automation (15)
- Pricing (15)
- Contract period (5)
- Warranty (15)
- Trial period (15)
- Usability (5)
- Trustworthiness (10)
Our team reviewed 32 companies and spent 744 hours researching and testing out products to help us compare home security systems on key factors such as package options, cost, reliability, and ease of use. Read more on our methodology here.
Frequently Asked Questions about Vector Security
How Does Vector Security Work?
You can sign up for a contract online or with a quick phone call. After you choose your package and enroll, a Vector Security technician will visit your property to install your new home security system and additional devices free of charge. Like most home security companies, Vector requires customers to enroll in a contract between 36 to 60 months.
Where is Vector Security available?
Vector is available in the eastern United States only. You can view a complete list of states and cities here.
How long is the Vector contract length?
You must sign a three- to five-year contract with Vector Security.
What smart home devices are compatible with Vector Security?
Which is better: Vector or ADT?
Customers who want the most comprehensive smart technology will love Vector’s all-inclusive packages. Homeowners who value affordability over other features may be better off choosing ADT.
What’s the cancellation policy with Vector?
To cancel your Vector Security package, you must write the company a cancellation notice indicating that you’ll be cancelling your service. Cancelling your monitoring service doesn’t free you from paying the remainder of your unpaid balance.
Is Vector Security worth it?
Though Vector Security is more expensive than comparable home security companies, tech-savvy homeowners may think the price is worth it for their cutting-edge smart home features and options.
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at email@example.com.