Best Driveway Alarms
A driveway alarm will alert you the minute someone steps onto your property, and you’ll know who’s coming up your driveway before they even get to your front door. If you want to improve home security or just have a little more peace of mind before falling asleep at night, a driveway alarm may be a good option.
In this review, the This Old House Reviews Team will recommend some of the most popular choices for driveway alarms, provide tips on how they work, and help you choose the best home security for your home.
The Best Driveway Alarms
Guardline Long Range Wireless Driveway Alarm
- Starts at $99.00
- Easy to install with DIY installation, this alarm detects any motion within 40 feet.
- This alarm system can be expanded up to 16 sensors per receiver in four different zones. It also features a two-year warranty and a guaranteed 500-foot range, even with trees, buildings, and walls blocking the sensors. This alarm is wireless, battery-operated, and weatherproof.
Guardline offers numerous customization options and detects vehicles, people, and animals, allowing you to monitor all types of movement on your property. Because the receiver supports 16 sensors in four zones with a transmission range of a quarter of a mile, this system is ideal for individuals with a lot of land.
Each zone has a dedicated LED light, so you know which area has tripped the alarm, and the receiver has multiple alarm sounds that can be set. The sensors run on four AAA batteries and are encased in waterproof housing. One drawback to this driveway alarm is that the sensors may malfunction in windy weather conditions and strong gusts can trip the sensor and cause a false alarm.
Hosmart Driveway Alarm
- Starts at $44.99
- This alarm is available in a wide variety of customizable options, allowing you to select from multiple colors and the number of sensors and receivers included.
- It includes a long relieving range of ½ mile and works even when trees, buildings, walls, vehicles, and other impediments are blocking it.
This alarm from Hosmart can achieve 1,500 feet of transmission in most conditions. It is made from high-quality, durable PVC that can withstand weather conditions and has a water-resistant seal. Additionally, it is expandable up to four sensors and sets up in a matter of minutes. This alarm requires only four AA batteries for operation.
Rodann Electronics Wireless Driveway Alarm
- Starts at $97.90
- This driveway alarm detects motion up to 50 feet and will ping the receiver up to 1,000 feet away through heavily wooded areas, terrain, and walls.
- The receiver in this alarm has an LED display to keep track and show how many times the sensor has been activated. The system also allows users to add as many transmitters or receivers as needed to fit their space.
Rodann offers the largest range of sensor detection (up to 50 feet) compared to the other driveway alarms listed in this article, and the sensitivity is such that it doesn’t trigger many false alarms. Rodann can detect motion up to 50 feet away and transmits to a receiver up to 1,000 feet away. Rodann’s receiver also keeps an LED numerical track of how many times the sensor is tripped.
4VWIN Driveway Alarm
- Starts at $25.99
- This alarm has motion sensors that can connect with a receiver up to 350 feet away, even in open space.
- This model can be used as a doorway or driveway security alarm and features adjustable LED warning lights that can help scare off potential intruders.
While this driveway alarm lacks some of the features of more premium models, it’s an excellent choice for budget-conscious consumers who are still looking for an effective product. This alarm can monitor motion up to 25 feet away and allows you to choose between a high and low alarm volume setting depending on your needs. While it lacks some features like sensitivity settings, it does have straightforward installation that can be set up in minutes.
Htzsafe Solar Driveway Alarm System
- Starts at $49.96
- This alarm has a transmission range of ¼ mile and can detect motion up to 50 feet away. It is expandable with up to 32 sensors and can be adjusted through four volume levels.
- With the ability to fully customize sounds through 35 different ring tones, this alarm allows you to match melodies with a specific sensor to quickly and easily determine what activity is going on.
This solar-powered alarm is an eco-friendly option that doesn’t require batteries and charges solely from a solar panel. It has a weatherproof design that charges even on rainy or snowy days. Its wireless installation also ensures you can get it set up and detect motion within minutes of bringing it home. It is effective in temperatures ranging from -22 to 158 degrees Fahrenheit.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I install a driveway alarm?
Find a key point at the entrance of your driveway to install the sensor. Depending on the system you choose, you may need to mount it closer to the ground. Most sensors are battery-operated and either need to be strapped to a fence or mailbox post or screwed into a post or tree.
Once the sensors are mounted, plug in the transmitter and ensure they’re paired and transmitting to each other. Set the alarm sound you want for each zone of your alarm system.
Where should I install my driveway alarm?
We recommend installing your driveway alarm at the start of your driveway, either on a fence, mailbox post, or tree. Mount the sensor close to the ground to detect heat and motion.
How does a driveway alarm work?
A sensor detects motion and transmits a wireless signal to a receiver in your home, sounding an alarm and notifying you someone is coming up your driveway.
Who would benefit from a driveway alarm?
Driveway alarms are especially beneficial for those who live in rural areas or on more secluded properties. While many choose these areas for privacy and quiet, it can pose a security risk if you’re unaware of someone coming up your driveway.
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at email@example.com.