Founded in 1974, Old Republic Home Protection (ORHP) has carried an A+ Better Business Bureau (BBB) rating for over 20 years. ORHP expanded its coverage breadth in 1995 and now covers 24 states and provides some of the most comprehensive plans in the home warranty industry.
The This Old House Reviews Team has done extensive research to vet hundreds of home warranty providers for your consideration. We hold ourselves to the highest research standards and review companies based on factors like plans, pricing, customer reviews, customer ratings, response times, and more. In this Old Republic home warranty review, we’ll discuss the company’s plans, pricing, and coverage to help you decide if ORHP is the best home warrantyfor you.
Compare the advantages and disadvantages of Old Republic Home Protection below.
Pros and Cons of Old Republic Home Protection
|Provides multiple plan options tailored to region||Isn’t available in all states|
|Has a transparent claims process||There’s a 10% cancellation penalty in some states|
|Covers new construction homes||Coverage and pricing varies based on where you live|
Old Republic Home Protection Plans and Coverage
|Primary Gas, Oil, or Electric Heater||✓||✓||✓||✓|
|Drain Line Stoppages||✓||✓||✓||✓|
|Plumbing Pipe Leaks (including polybutylene)||✓||✓||✓||✓|
|Built-in Jetted Bathtub Motor and Pump||✓||✓||✓||✓|
|Instant Hot/Cold Water Dispenser||✓||✓||✓||✓|
|Water Pressure Regulator||✓||✓||✓||✓|
|Exhaust, Attic, Ceiling, and Whole-House Fans||✓||✓||✓||✓|
|Garage Door Opener||✓||✓||✓||✓|
|Kitchen Exhaust Fan||✓||✓||✓||✓|
|Built-in Microwave Oven||✓||✓||✓||✓|
|Recapture, Reclaim, and Disposal||✓||✓|
|Increased Coverage for Plumbing Items/Stoppages||✓|
|Increased Coverage for Manufacturer's Warranty||✓|
|Modifications (with additional code upgrades)||✓|
|Increased Coverage for Zone Controls and Specific HVAC Systems||✓|
Old Republic Home Protection plans are available in 24 states and coverage options and limitations will vary based on your state of residence. Across the covered states, there are four home warranty plans and optional coverage add-ons available.
In addition to the items covered under each plan, customers have the option to include additional items, such as:
- Pre-season HVAC tune-up
- Swimming pool/spa equipment
- Ornamental fountain
- Limited roof leak repair
- Outdoor kitchen
- Additional refrigeration units (not available with the Essential plan)
- Water softener/reverse osmosis and water filtration system
- Well pump
- Booster pump
- Enhanced slab leak limit/external plumbing
- Septic tank pumping/septic
- System/sewage ejector pump
In most cases, items are covered only if they are in proper working condition at the date in which your service agreement starts. For more information about when items are covered and when they are not, please reference your sample service agreement.
Old Republic Home Protection covers a variety of home types, including:
- Single-family homes
- New construction homes
The annual cost of your Old Republic Home Protection home warranty depends on the type of property that you’re looking to cover, the coverage plan you choose, and how many add-ons you include with your plan.
Here’s a cost breakdown for home warranty plans for Louisiana residents:
Old Republic Home Protection Pricing
|Type of Home||Essential||Standard||Ultimate||Platinum|
In addition to paying a monthly premium, you’ll also be expected to pay a trade call fee, or deductible, when a contractor comes out to your home to assess the broken item. Here’s the breakdown for each plan:
|Service Call Fee||$75–$100||$75–$100||$100||$100|
If you choose to add optional items to your home warranty coverage, here’s the list of items and their related costs.
Optional Coverage Pricing
|Additional System & Components||Price|
|Premier Upgrade Package||$99.00|
|Each additional sump pump||$60.00|
|Each additional water heater||$50.00|
|Each additional refrigerator||$25.00|
|Outside gas line||$60.00|
|Outside water line||$60.00|
|Combo pool/spa (shared equipment)||$205.00|
|Well pump system w/ booster pump||$150.00|
Because plan pricing will vary based on where you live and the coverage you select, we recommend calling Old Republic Home Protection for an accurate and personalized quote specific to your home.
Old Republic Home Protection Reviews
Old Republic Home Protection is BBB-accredited with an A+ rating. As with any good home warranty company, Old Republic has a mix of positive and negative customer reviews.
Here’s a sampling of BBB reviews from ORHP customers:
“We have had to use Old Republic a couple of times now. Ice maker stopped working, heater would not turn on, and garage door stopped working. Every time has been an easy and smooth experience. I could not be happier. I go online and report the problem and I hear back very quickly on who will be calling to schedule an appointment. Each company has responded promptly and has been able to resolve our issue. Maybe it’s where I live? I have not had any of the problems other reviewers have had with Old Republic or their contractors. I was referred to Old Republic by a friend who also had great experiences with them.” — Katherine N. on 3/29/2020
“Were easy to work with until our refrigerator began leaking. Several contractors were sent out and not authorized to work on Samsung. Those contractors in an attempt to fix the leak damaged the refrigerator. I had a Samsung tech come out and discover the damage and put them on with Old Republic. They immediately told me I would get a new refrigerator. That was [a] month ago and now getting the [runaround]. Always researching the case and have had to repeat my situation several times resulting in hours-long calls. Still waking up to a puddle on our floor.” — Scott N. on 3/24/2020
Old Republic Home Protection Claims Process
To submit a claim, log in to Homeowner Central, Old Republic Home Protection’s portal for customers. Claims are accepted 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year.
Here’s what the claims process looks like:
- Place your claim on the Old Republic Home Protection portal.
- Old Republic Home Protection will notify a contractor in your area. That contractor will contact you directly to schedule an appointment during normal business hours.
- Service efforts will be initiated in 48 hours and be guaranteed for 30 days. At the time of service, you’ll pay the trade call fee to the contractor.
If there’s an emergency, repairs or replacements can be made within 24 hours. An emergency is defined as no electricity, gas, water, or toilet facilities to the entire home, a condition that immediately endangers health and safety, a condition that interferes with the healthcare support of occupants, or a system malfunction that is causing ongoing damage to the home.
If you should request non-emergency service outside of normal business hours, you will be responsible for additional fees, including overtime compensation.
In addition to letting customers make service requests, the ORHP portal provides a variety of options for homeowners to manage their service agreements, including:
- Registering and managing your plan
- Accessing the name and phone number of your service provider
- Checking the status of service requests at your convenience
- Viewing service history
- Renewing your plan
- Making credit card payments and updates (for monthly payment plans)
- Paying trade call fees
The This Old House Reviews Team rates Old Republic an 8.4/10. In our Old Republic home warranty review, we found that the company’s competitive pricing and plan coverage make it a major contender in the home warranty industry, but it is not available to residents in most U.S. states.
ORHP is ideal if you want protection for your newly built home or you manage a multi-family unit. If you’re looking for a home warranty provider similar to Old Republic Home Protection, but with more nationwide coverage, we recommend American Home Shield.
Our Preferred Provider: American Home Shield
Here are some of the reasons why we think AHS is a better option for homeowners than Old Republic Home Protection:
- For added flexibility, AHS has three plan types to choose from
- Operates in 49 states, excluding Alaska
- Has been in business for 48 years
- Provides 24/7 customer service
American Home Shield vs Old Republic Home Warranty
|Provider||American Home Shield||Old Republic Home Protection|
|Sample Contract Provided||Yes||Yes|
|Number of Plans||3||4|
|Average Lowest Cost||$500||$410|
|# of States Covered||49||25|
|Waiting Period||30 Days||30 Days|
|Service Fee||$75, $100, or $125||$75 or $100|
|Years in Business||48||45|
Our Rating Methodology
The This Old House Reviews Team is committed to providing comprehensive and unbiased reviews to our readers, and we aim to provide transparency in our review standards and research process.
Our research process includes speaking with representatives from more than 40 home warranty providers, requesting quotes, and asking clarifying questions to gain insight into each provider’s benefits and downsides. We also analyze sample contracts from each company to understand specific coverage terms.
To rate companies, we apply the data we have gathered to our review standards. These standards are on a 100-point scoring system, which is detailed below:
- Coverage (35 points): Providers are scored based on breadth and depth of coverage. We focused on key home systems (HVAC, plumbing, and electrical), essential appliances (refrigerator, ovens, and laundry machines), and unique coverage items (such as roof-leak coverage and code violation allowances). Coverage scores are weighted by taking into account coverage caps and other limiting factors, meaning providers with greater range of coverage and higher coverage caps score the highest.
- Value (30 points): A company’s plan value is a reflection of how well it serves the customer in comparison to what the customer pays for the policy. We accounted for monthly costs, service call fees, and cost flexibility (such as customizable service call fees, discounts, and multi-year policies).
- Trustworthiness and Transparency (21 points): Trustworthiness and transparency are a reflection of how well the provider considers the customer’s interests. We scored items such as the length of workmanship guarantees, online availability of a sample contract, policy change flexibility, and ease of cancellation. Additionally, we scored items that reflect industry reputation and customer satisfaction, including analyzing brand reputation across the Better Business Bureau and third-party customer review aggregators.
- Availability and Service (14 points): Quality of customer service is key to customer satisfaction. We dug into each provider’s guaranteed response times, claims processes, service flexibility, emergency availability, and more.
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.