With a variety of home warranty companies available, it can be challenging to determine which is best for you and your home. To prevent you from going through the hassle of researching multiple companies, the This Old House Reviews Team has compiled a review of the best home warranty companies in PA.
Pennsylvania’s Top 5 Home Warranty Companies
The highest-rated home warranty companies include:
- Liberty Home Guard: Best Customer Ratings
- American Home Shield: Best Coverage Caps
- Select Home Warranty: Best Value
- First American Home Warranty: Best Add-On Coverage
- Priority Home Warranty: Best for Choosing Your Own Contractor
To determine the best home warranty companies in Pennsylvania, we compared coverage, pricing, industry experience, and more. These are the five companies that stood out.
Liberty Home Guard
Liberty Home Guard (LHG) works well for homes with older systems and appliances that are prone to breaking. Not only does LHG cover all working appliances regardless of age, but the service fee is an industry low of $60, meaning you don’t have to pay much to get your items serviced by a technician.
Here are some benefits of signing up with Liberty Home Guard:
- 60-day workmanship guarantee
- Replacement available if item can’t be repaired
- No inspection needed to start coverage
- More than 15 add-on options
Plans and Pricing
Liberty Home Guard has three plans available for PA homeowners: Appliance Guard, System Guard, and Total Home Guard. Appliance Guard protects nine appliances, System Guard protects six systems, and Total Home Guard protects all of the items in the previous two plans.
Here’s the monthly cost for each plan:
- Appliance Guard: $49.99 per month
- System Guard: $54.99 per month
- Total Home Guard: $59.99 per month
Note: Liberty Home Guard assigns a service call fee between $65 and $125 to your account. This fee will be assigned based on your plan, location, and add-ons.
Learn more: Liberty Home Guard Review
American Home Shield
American Home Shield is another solid home warranty company for Pennsylvania homeowners. It provides three coverage plans and protects systems and appliances that are damaged due to rust and corrosion, which is unusual for a home warranty provider.
Here are a few benefits you’ll receive when signing up for an American Home Shield plan:
- Generous coverage caps
- Close to 50 years of industry experience
- No limit to the number of repairs allowed during the contract period
Plans and Pricing
American Home Shield offers the ShieldSilver, ShieldGold, and ShieldPlatinum plans. The ShieldSilver plan covers systems, the ShieldGold plan adds appliances to the entirety of the ShieldSilver’s coverage, and the ShieldPlatinum plan increases coverage limits and offers a free HVAC tune-up.
Most American Home Shield plans will cost $40–$58 per month. The service call fee you choose—$75, $100, or $125—will determine how much your monthly premiums are.
If you choose a $75 service fee, here’s what your monthly cost would be:
- ShieldSilver: $54.99 per month
- ShieldGold: $64.99 per month
- ShieldPlatinum: $79.99 per month
Learn more: American Home Shield Review
Select Home Warranty
Pennsylvania homeowners who are concerned about their budget but don’t want to compromise on coverage will see attractive benefits in Select Home Warranty. All of Select’s plans cost less than $50 a month and all plans include free roof-leak coverage, a reported $99 value.
Here are a few benefits you’ll receive when signing up for a plan from Select Home Warranty:
- Free roof-leak coverage included with all plans
- 90-day workmanship guarantee
- Discounts when you sign up for a multi-year plan
Plans and Pricing
Select charges a $75 service fee per claim. It offers three plans and nine additional coverage options. Bronze Care covers household appliances, Gold Care covers household systems, and Platinum Care combines the coverage of each plan into one comprehensive package. You can review a price breakdown of Select’s coverage below.
- Bronze Care: $44.42 per month
- Gold Care: $44.42 per month
- Platinum Care: $47.75 per month
Learn more: Select Home Warranty Review
First American Home Warranty
First American Home Warranty is an excellent choice for Pennsylvania homeowners shopping for a home warranty policy. In addition to its decades-long legacy in the industry, its prices are affordable and its add-ons offer competitive coverage for items typically outside the scope of home warranties. These add-ons include a free HVAC tune-up and the First Class Upgrade, which covers crane costs, permits, code violations, and debris removal associated with covered items.
Here are a few benefits of First American Home Warranty:
- $3,500 coverage per kitchen appliance
- Plans less than $50 per month
- No coverage caps for ductwork, cooling, or heating systems
Plans and Pricing
First American Home Warranty offers two plan options: the Basic Plan and the Premier Plan. The Basic Plan covers major appliances, including your laundry machines, dishwasher, and garbage disposal. The Premier Plan covers all the items in the Basic Plan, plus home systems, such as your plumbing, water heater, and electrical. It’s important to note that First American’s base plans don’t cover air conditioning systems, but you can select it as an add-on option.
Our quote included an $85 service call fee and the following monthly prices:
- Basic Plan: $36 per month
- Premier Plan: $46.50 per month
To request a free quote, call 800-891-9778 or fill out First American Home Warranty’s simple form.
Learn more: First American Home Warranty Review
Priority Home Warranty
Priority Home Warranty is great for homeowners who have an insured and bonded contractor that they trust. Many home warranty companies will pull from their own network of contractors, which can be frustrating if you’ve developed a long-lasting relationship with an existing technician.
Here are a few benefits you’ll receive when signing up for a plan from Priority Home Warranty:
- All repairs and replacements are covered by a workmanship guarantee that is valid for the entire length of your policy.
- The service fee is cheaper than the industry average at $70.
- Customers can continue to work with contractors they trust and the company offers reimbursement for accepted claims.
Plans and Pricing
Like Select Home Warranty, Priority Home Warranty offers three plans under $50. The Systems Home Care plan covers eight built-in systems. The Appliance Home Care plan covers nine major household appliances. If you are looking for more comprehensive coverage options, Total Home Care is an affordable and comprehensive plan option.
You can review the monthly costs below.
- Systems Home Care: $33 per month
- Appliance Home Care: $33 per month
- Total Home Care: $47 per month
Learn more: Priority Home Warranty Review
Liberty Home Guard, American Home Shield, Select Home Warranty, First American Home Warranty, and Priority Home Warranty are the best home warranty companies in Pennsylvania. We recommend getting quotes from each of them so that you can compare pricing and narrow down your options.
Liberty Home Guard is a great choice if you prioritize customer service experience because it offers the rare benefit of a live chat customer support tool. American Home Shield offers homeowners a strong brand reputation and comprehensive coverage. Select Home Warranty offers quick claim response time and includes roof-leak protection with all its plans.
Frequently Asked Questions
Our Rating Methodology
The This Old House Reviews Team is committed to providing comprehensive and unbiased reviews to our readers, and we aim to provide transparency in our review standards and research process.
Our research process includes speaking with representatives from more than 40 home warranty providers, requesting quotes, and asking clarifying questions to gain insight into each provider’s benefits and downsides. We also analyze sample contracts from each company to understand specific coverage terms.
To rate companies, we apply the data we have gathered to our review standards. These standards are on a 100-point scoring system, which is detailed below:
- Coverage (35 points): Providers are scored based on breadth and depth of coverage. We focused on key home systems (HVAC, plumbing, and electrical), essential appliances (refrigerator, ovens, and laundry machines), and unique coverage items (such as roof-leak coverage and code violation allowances). Coverage scores are weighted by taking into account coverage caps and other limiting factors, meaning providers with greater range of coverage and higher coverage caps score the highest.
- Value (30 points): A company’s plan value is a reflection of how well it serves the customer in comparison to what the customer pays for the policy. We accounted for monthly costs, service call fees, and cost flexibility (such as customizable service call fees, discounts, and multi-year policies).
- Trustworthiness and Transparency (21 points): Trustworthiness and transparency are a reflection of how well the provider considers the customer’s interests. We scored items such as the length of workmanship guarantees, online availability of a sample contract, policy change flexibility, and ease of cancellation. Additionally, we scored items that reflect industry reputation and customer satisfaction, including analyzing brand reputation across the Better Business Bureau and third-party customer review aggregators.
- Availability and Service (14 points): Quality of customer service is key to customer satisfaction. We dug into each provider’s guaranteed response times, claims processes, service flexibility, emergency availability, and more.
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at email@example.com.