- Why We Picked It: Sunrun has flexible financing, including two options for lease customers: a full lease and a monthly lease. Both plans come with free maintenance, monitoring, and insurance.
Pennsylvania may rank 23rd for solar power in the United States, but it’s poured a surprising amount of resources into the solar industry. According to the Solar Energy Information Association, the Keystone State has invested more than $2.6 billion into solar energy as of 2022, and there have been nearly 45,000 total solar installations in the state.
As the solar industry continues to grow, now is a good time for homeowners from Harrisburg to Philadelphia to consider transitioning to clean energy. The This Old House Reviews Team has researched the top-rated solar energy companies in the United States and narrowed this list down to the top providers in Pennsylvania.
Pennsylvania’s Top Solar Energy Companies:
- Sunrun: Best Solar Panel Leasing
- Palmetto Solar: Best Customer Support
- Green Home Systems: Best Solar Roofs
- Trinity Solar: Best Certified Installer
- Momentum Solar:Best Solar Panel Installation
Compare Solar Companies Across PA
|Star Rating||Superlative||Location Presence||BBB Rating||Link|
|SunPower||Best High-Efficiency System||50 States||A+||Get Quote|
|Momentum||Best Solar Panel Installation||11 States||A+||Get Quote|
|Sunrun||Best Solar Panel Leasing||20 States||A+||Get Quote|
|Palmetto||Best Customer Support||24 States||A+||Get Quote|
|Trinity||Best Certified Installer||9 States||A+||Get Quote|
|Green Home Systems||Best Solar Roofs||10 States||A+||Get Quote|
|Tesla Solar||Best Solar Tech||50 States||NR||Get Quote|
|Superlative||Best High-Efficiency System|
|Location Presence||50 States|
|Superlative||Best Solar Panel Installation|
|Location Presence||11 States|
|Superlative||Best Solar Panel Leasing|
|Location Presence||20 States|
|Superlative||Best Customer Support|
|Location Presence||24 States|
|Superlative||Best Certified Installer|
|Location Presence||9 States|
|Green Home Systems|
|Superlative||Best Solar Roofs|
|Location Presence||10 States|
|Superlative||Best Solar Tech|
|Location Presence||50 States|
Our Top Solar Company Picks for Pennsylvania
Learn more: Sunrun review
Learn more: Palmetto Solar review
Learn more: Momentum Solar review
- Arizona Solar Companies
- California Solar Companies
- Colorado Solar Companies
- Connecticut Solar Companies
- Florida Solar Companies
- Georgia Solar Companies
- Illinois Solar Companies
- Maryland Solar Companies
- Massachusetts Solar Companies
- New Jersey Solar Companies
- New Mexico Solar Companies
- New York Solar Companies
- North Carolina Solar Companies
- Pennsylvania Solar Companies
- South Carolina Solar Companies
- Texas Solar Companies
- Utah Solar Companies
Solar Incentives in Pennsylvania
Solar panels are expensive, but there are federal, state, and local programs that can reduce solar panel installation costs. Here are the key solar incentives available to Pennsylvania homeowners.
- Federal tax credit: The federal tax credit, also called the Investment Tax Credit (ITC), allows you to receive a tax deduction equal to 30% of your solar installation costs. This rate will reduce to 26% in 2033.
- Net-metering: Some Pennsylvania utility companies have net-metering programs that allow you to sell the excess energy your system produces back to the utility company for credit on your future bills. The Pennsylvania Electric Company (PECO) offers such a program.
- Pennsylvania Alternative Energy Credit program: The Pennsylvania Alternative Energy Credit Program provides credits for specific amounts of energy produced by your system that can be sold to the state or businesses looking to invest in clean energy. Prices for these credits vary.
Several national solar companies serve Pennsylvania in addition to regional providers, such as Exact Solar. The right installer for you will ultimately depend on your specific home, energy needs, and priorities, but the companies on this list are a good place to start. We recommend requesting at least three quotes from different providers before deciding.
FAQs About Solar Companies in Pennsylvania
The This Old House Reviews Team is committed to providing comprehensive and unbiased reviews to our readers. After over a thousand hours of research on solar companies, interviews with experts, and common customer needs, we’ve created a detailed rating system for solar providers based on six factors:
- Solar equipment, installation, and services (25%)
- Warranty and performance guarantees (25%)
- Brand reputation and certifications (15%)
- Financing options (15%)
- Experience (10%)
- Availability (10%)
Total scores are divided by 20 for a final 5-point rating scale.
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews team at firstname.lastname@example.org.