Whether you live in St. Louis, Kansas City, or West Plains, you can get home warranty coverage for your Missouri residence and protect major systems and appliances. In exchange for a premium and service fee, a warranty provider will handle all costs and scheduling associated with a repair or replacement to one of your covered items.
With all of the home warranty companies saturating the market, it can be difficult to know which one will work best for your home. In this review, the This Old House Reviews Team names five of the best home warranty companies in your state to help you during your search.
Missouri’s Top 4 Home Warranty Companies
The highest-rated home warranty companies in Missouri include:
- American Home Shield: Our Overall Top Pick
- Liberty Home Guard: Most Responsive
- Select Home Warranty: Best Value
- Priority Home Warranty: Best for Choosing Your Own Contractor
Our team compared coverage plans, pricing, benefits, and customer reviews to determine the four best home warranty providers in Missouri. Here are our top picks.
American Home Shield
American Home Shield (AHS) is our top home warranty company for Missouri homeowners.
Here are a few benefits of American Home Shield:
- Has close to 50 years of experience in the home warranty industry
- Provides customizable coverage and flexible service fees
- Has an accreditation and B rating with the Better Business Bureau
- Offers a claims center that’s available 24/7
Plans & Pricing
AHS offers three plans—the ShieldSilver™, ShieldGold™, and ShieldPlatinum™ plans. The ShieldSilver plan covers systems only, while the ShieldGold and ShieldPlatinum plans cover the entire home, and the ShieldPlatinum plan increases coverage limits for all items.
Most American Home Shield plans will cost between $40–$58 per month, but this number can change based on the service fee you select. You have the choice of a $75, $100, or $125 service fee.
If you choose a $75 service fee, here’s what the monthly cost would be by plan:
- ShieldSilver: $54.99 per month
- ShieldGold: $64.99 per month
- ShieldPlatinum: $79.99 per month
Learn more: American Home Shield Review
Liberty Home Guard
Liberty Home Guard is an excellent choice for Missouri homeowners, earning its spot on this list for its convenient 24-hour claim response time, online customer service features, and extensive add-on coverage options.
Here are a few more benefits provided by Liberty Home Guard:
- 30 add-on coverage options, including generator, limited roof leak, and electronics protection
- A+ rating on BBB
- Live chat customer service feature on the website
- Discounted service fee on multi-year plans
Plans & Pricing
Like many companies on this list, Liberty offers three plan options. Appliance Guard is focused on appliances, Systems Guard is focused on systems, and Total Home Guard offers coverage for a combination of both appliances and systems.
We received quotes for Liberty Home Guard plans between $65 and $75 monthly, but we always recommend getting a quote for yourself as these prices can vary depending on the size and exact location of your home.
Here are the monthly prices by plan:
- Appliance Guard: $65.99 per month
- Systems Guard: $69.99 per month
- Total Home Guard: $74.99 per month
Learn more: Liberty Home Guard Review
Select Home Warranty
Select Home Warranty is our pick for Best Value. Not only are all plans under $50, but Select Home Warranty is among the only companies in the industry to offer free roof-leak coverage at every plan level.
Here are a few benefits provided by Select Home Warranty:
- Robust nationwide availability
- Free roof-leak coverage
- 90-day workmanship guarantee
- Discounts on multi-year plans
Plans & Pricing
Select offers three plan tiers with a service call fee of $75. The Bronze Care plan is appliance-exclusive while the Gold Care plan is systems-exclusive. For homeowners who don’t want to choose between systems and appliances, the Platinum Care plan covers all items in the basic packages.
Here are the monthly prices for each home warranty plan:
- Bronze Care: $41 per month
- Gold Care: $41 per month
- Platinum Care: $47 per month
Learn more: Select Home Warranty Review
Priority Home Warranty
Priority Home Warranty is available in 22 states, including Missouri. While the company offers many of the standard plan options available across the industry, the company stands out for its affordable price point and the flexibility to work with your own contractor when you file a claim. Unlike most other providers who require prior approval of contractors, Priority Home Warranty will reimburse customers that work with any licensed and bonded contractors, even without pre-approval.
Here are a few benefits provided by Priority Home Warranty:
- Affordable plan prices
- Lower-than-industry-average service fee
- Workmanship guarantee valid for the entire length of the plan
- Customers eligible for reimbursement when they work with their own contractors
Plans & Pricing
Priority Home Warranty offers three plan options: Systems Home Care, Appliance Home Care, and Total Home Care. The systems and appliance-exclusive plans are available at the same low rate. The Total Home Care plan offers comprehensive coverage at a slightly higher rate. The service fee is $70.
- Appliance Home Care: $33 per month
- Systems Home Care: $33 per month
- Total Home Care: $47 per month
Learn more: Priority Home Warranty Review
American Home Shield, Liberty Home Guard, Select Home Warranty, and Priority Home Warranty work best for Missouri homeowners because each company has something unique to offer, whether that’s customizable coverage, affordable plans, or unique add-ons. Before signing up for a home warranty plan, get a quote from all three companies listed in this review and compare prices.
Frequently Asked Questions
Our Rating Methodology
The This Old House Reviews Team is committed to providing comprehensive and unbiased reviews to our readers, and we aim to provide transparency in our review standards and research process.
Our research process includes speaking with representatives from more than 40 home warranty providers, requesting quotes, and asking clarifying questions to gain insight into each provider’s benefits and downsides. We also analyze sample contracts from each company to understand specific coverage terms.
To rate companies, we apply the data we have gathered to our review standards. These standards are on a 100-point scoring system, which is detailed below:
- Coverage (35 points): Providers are scored based on breadth and depth of coverage. We focused on key home systems (HVAC, plumbing, and electrical), essential appliances (refrigerator, ovens, and laundry machines), and unique coverage items (such as roof-leak coverage and code violation allowances). Coverage scores are weighted by taking into account coverage caps and other limiting factors, meaning providers with greater range of coverage and higher coverage caps score the highest.
- Value (30 points): A company’s plan value is a reflection of how well it serves the customer in comparison to what the customer pays for the policy. We accounted for monthly costs, service call fees, and cost flexibility (such as customizable service call fees, discounts, and multi-year policies).
- Trustworthiness and Transparency (21 points): Trustworthiness and transparency are a reflection of how well the provider considers the customer’s interests. We scored items such as the length of workmanship guarantees, online availability of a sample contract, policy change flexibility, and ease of cancellation. Additionally, we scored items that reflect industry reputation and customer satisfaction, including analyzing brand reputation across the Better Business Bureau and third-party customer review aggregators.
- Availability and Service (14 points): Quality of customer service is key to customer satisfaction. We dug into each provider’s guaranteed response times, claims processes, service flexibility, emergency availability, and more.
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at email@example.com.