Investing in a Kentucky home warranty can provide peace of mind and help you pay for your systems and appliances when they break down due to normal wear and tear. Not to mention, having a home protection plan will prevent you from having to track down a trusted contractor to do the repair work for you.
Since there are a variety of home warranty providers on the market, and it can be challenging to determine which is the best for you and your home, the This Old House Reviews Team made your home warranty search easier by narrowing down the companies to choose from. Keep reading this review for the best home warranty companies in your state.
Kentucky’s Top 2 Home Warranty Companies
The highest rated home warranty companies in Kentucky include:
When determining the best Kentucky home warranty companies, we looked at coverage plans, add-on options, pricing, years of experience, and other factors. These are our top two picks.
American Home Shield
American Home Shield (AHS) has served over 1.8 million customers in 49 states and has nearly 50 years of experience in the home warranty industry. Not to mention, AHS has approved claims worth more than $2 billion and has used its network of more than 15,000 contractors to fulfill those requests.
Plans & Pricing
AHS offers three plans—the ShieldSilver™, ShieldGold™, and ShieldPlatinum™ plans. The ShieldSilver covers home systems only, such as your home’s heating and cooling, plumbing, and electrical systems. The ShieldGold covers all of the ShieldSilver plan and adds coverage for appliances, bringing the total number of items to 23. The ShieldPlatinum plan increases coverage caps, deepening your protection. It also includes roof leak coverage and a free HVAC tune-up.
American Home Shield also offers protection to a limited number of items that aren’t usually included in home warranty coverage: Electronic extended warranty, pool and spa, well pump, septic pump, guest unit under 750 square feet
Prices vary depending on which service fee you decide to use in your contract—$75, $100, or $125. The higher the service fee, the lower your monthly premium will be.
Here’s the monthly cost of each plan if you choose a $75 service fee:
- ShieldSilver: $54.99 per month
- ShieldGold: $64.99 per month
- ShieldPlatinum: $79.99 per month
Learn more: American Home Shield Review
Liberty Home Guard
Liberty Home Guard (LHG) is new to the home warranty industry with only two years of experience. However, the company is more trusted than the other two providers with an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau, while the other two have B and B- ratings respectively.
Plans & Pricing
LHG offers three plans to homeowners—Appliance Guard, System Guard, and Total Home Guard. Appliance Guard protects nine appliances, including a washer, dryer, refrigerator, and dishwasher. System Guard covers your air conditioning, heating, ductwork, electrical, plumbing, and water systems. Total Home Guard combines those two plans for comprehensive coverage.
LHG has over 15 add-on options to customize your plan. A few include: Re-key, water softener, swamp cooler, ejector pump, grinder pump, lawn sprinkler system, pest control, limited roof leak
Along with the monthly premium, homeowners will pay a service fee of $60 every time they submit a service request.
Here are monthly cost estimates for LHG’s plans:
- Appliance Guard: $39.99 per month
- System Guard: $49.99 per month
- Total Home Guard: $59.99 per month
Learn more: Liberty Home Guard Review
American Home Shield and Liberty Home Guard are the best options for Kentucky residents looking for home warranty coverage because they offer standard appliance and system protection at affordable pricing. Before zeroing in on one home warranty company, get a quote from both providers to compare pricing based on your location.
Frequently Asked Questions
Our Rating Methodology
The This Old House Reviews Team is committed to providing comprehensive and unbiased reviews to our readers, and we aim to provide transparency in our review standards and research process.
Our research process includes speaking with representatives from more than 40 home warranty providers, requesting quotes, and asking clarifying questions to gain insight into each provider’s benefits and downsides. We also analyze sample contracts from each company to understand specific coverage terms.
To rate companies, we apply the data we have gathered to our review standards. These standards are on a 100-point scoring system, which is detailed below:
- Coverage (35 points): Providers are scored based on breadth and depth of coverage. We focused on key home systems (HVAC, plumbing, and electrical), essential appliances (refrigerator, ovens, and laundry machines), and unique coverage items (such as roof-leak coverage and code violation allowances). Coverage scores are weighted by taking into account coverage caps and other limiting factors, meaning providers with greater range of coverage and higher coverage caps score the highest.
- Value (30 points): A company’s plan value is a reflection of how well it serves the customer in comparison to what the customer pays for the policy. We accounted for monthly costs, service call fees, and cost flexibility (such as customizable service call fees, discounts, and multi-year policies).
- Trustworthiness and Transparency (21 points): Trustworthiness and transparency are a reflection of how well the provider considers the customer’s interests. We scored items such as the length of workmanship guarantees, online availability of a sample contract, policy change flexibility, and ease of cancellation. Additionally, we scored items that reflect industry reputation and customer satisfaction, including analyzing brand reputation across the Better Business Bureau and third-party customer review aggregators.
- Availability and Service (14 points): Quality of customer service is key to customer satisfaction. We dug into each provider’s guaranteed response times, claims processes, service flexibility, emergency availability, and more.
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.