A Delaware home warranty can save you hundreds of dollars when a covered system or appliance breaks down from normal wear and tear and provide you with peace of mind. Your home warranty provider will handle everything from assigning a service contractor to paying for repair, giving you a hassle-free experience.
Knowing where to begin with your home warranty search can be intimidating. Because of this, the This Old House Reviews Team has done the research for you, comparing multiple home warranty companies and providing you with the best home warranty companies in Delaware.
Delaware’s Top 3 Home Warranty Companies
The highest rated home warranty companies in Delaware include:
- American Home Shield: Our Overall Top Pick
- Liberty Home Guard: Most Responsive
- Select Home Warranty: Best Value
In our research, we reviewed coverage options, monthly premiums, service fees, add-on options, and customer reviews to determine the best companies in the state. Here’s more detail about our top three picks.
American Home Shield
American Home Shield (AHS) has nearly 50 years of experience providing home warranty protection to homeowners in Delaware. The home warranty provider offers three plans and provides comprehensive coverage with rare protection, like coverage for items that have undetectable pre-existing conditions or are damaged due to rust and corrosion.
Plans & Pricing
The ShieldSilver™ plan covers home systems, and the ShieldGold™ adds coverage for appliances to the ShieldSilver’s existing coverage. The ShieldPlatinum™ covers all of the ShieldGold plan and increases coverage limits, covers roof leaks, and provides one free HVAC tune-up per home warranty period.
AHS also offers optional coverage for the following items: Electronic extended warranty, pool and spa, well pump, septic pump, guest unit
AHS offers three service fee options: $75, $100, and $125. A lower service fee tends to result in a higher monthly premium, whereas paying a higher deductible will lower your monthly premiums.
Here’s what plan pricing looks like for each AHS plan if you choose a $75 service fee:
- ShieldSilver: $54.99 per month
- ShieldGold: $64.99 per month
- ShieldPlatinum: $79.99 per month
Learn more: American Home Shield Review
Liberty Home Guard
Liberty Home Guard earns its place on our list due to its A rating from the Better Business Bureau, 38 unique add-on options, and coverage for items regardless of age (as long as they’re in working condition). Liberty also offers a 60-day workmanship guarantee on all completed repairs.
Plans & Pricing
Liberty Home Guard offers three coverage plans: the Appliance Guard, Systems Guard and Total Home Guard. The Appliance Guard covers nine home appliances. The Systems Guard covers six major systems. The Total Home Guard covers all 15 home systems and appliances.
The service call fee will be assigned to you. According to a representative we spoke with, the service call fee will be between $65 and $125 and is determined based on your home’s size, type, and location, as well as your selected plan and add-ons.
Here’s an overview of Liberty Home Guard’s monthly plan costs:
- Appliance Guard: $49.99 per month
- Systems Guard: $54.99 per month
- Total Home Guard: $59.99 per month
To get your personalized quote from Liberty Home Guard, please call 866-452-9107 or fill out the Liberty Home Guard quote form.
Select Home Warranty
Select Home Warranty is another home warranty company we recommend for homeowners in Delaware. Learn more about the company below.
Plans & Pricing
Select Home Warranty provides three coverage plans: Bronze Care, Gold Care, and Platinum Care. Gold Care protects six home systems, Bronze Care protects eight appliances, including a washer and dryer, and Platinum Care covers everything under the first two plans and provides coverage for garage door openers and plumbing stoppages.
Select’s add-on coverage is the most extensive out of the top three providers and provides protection for items like plumbing fixtures, lighting fixtures, switches and outlets, and a lawn sprinkler system. Not to mention, Select offers free roof leak coverage for customers.
Select has a below average service fee and affordable monthly premiums—all three plans are under $40 a month and the service fee is $75.
Here’s the monthly cost of each Select Home Warranty plan:
- Bronze Care: $35.83 per month
- Gold Care: $35.83 per month
- Platinum Care: $37.50 per month
Learn more: Select Home Warranty Review
Owning a home is expensive enough without having to worry about the potential failure of appliances and systems. A home warranty protects those items so that you can afford a repair or replacement when a breakdown arises. We believe the best home warranty companies in Delaware are American Home Shield, Select Home Warranty, and Liberty Home Guard.
Before you buy a home warranty, we recommend getting quotes from all three home warranty providers listed in this article, so you can find a home warranty plan to fit your specific home protection needs and budget.
Frequently Asked Questions
Our Rating Methodology
The This Old House Reviews Team is committed to providing comprehensive and unbiased reviews to our readers, and we aim to provide transparency in our review standards and research process.
Our research process includes speaking with representatives from more than 40 home warranty providers, requesting quotes, and asking clarifying questions to gain insight into each provider’s benefits and downsides. We also analyze sample contracts from each company to understand specific coverage terms.
To rate companies, we apply the data we have gathered to our review standards. These standards are on a 100-point scoring system, which is detailed below:
- Coverage (35 points): Providers are scored based on breadth and depth of coverage. We focused on key home systems (HVAC, plumbing, and electrical), essential appliances (refrigerator, ovens, and laundry machines), and unique coverage items (such as roof-leak coverage and code violation allowances). Coverage scores are weighted by taking into account coverage caps and other limiting factors, meaning providers with greater range of coverage and higher coverage caps score the highest.
- Value (30 points): A company’s plan value is a reflection of how well it serves the customer in comparison to what the customer pays for the policy. We accounted for monthly costs, service call fees, and cost flexibility (such as customizable service call fees, discounts, and multi-year policies).
- Trustworthiness and Transparency (21 points): Trustworthiness and transparency are a reflection of how well the provider considers the customer’s interests. We scored items such as the length of workmanship guarantees, online availability of a sample contract, policy change flexibility, and ease of cancellation. Additionally, we scored items that reflect industry reputation and customer satisfaction, including analyzing brand reputation across the Better Business Bureau and third-party customer review aggregators.
- Availability and Service (14 points): Quality of customer service is key to customer satisfaction. We dug into each provider’s guaranteed response times, claims processes, service flexibility, emergency availability, and more.
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.