A Connecticut home warranty protects major systems and appliances in your home that break down due to normal wear and tear and gives you peace of mind that you’ll be able to afford a repair or replacement if an issue arises.
Since there are numerous home warranty providers available, and it’s difficult to know which home warranty company will fit your needs, the This Old House Reviews Team did the research for you. We looked at coverage plans, pricing, and customer reviews to help you find the best home warranty company in Connecticut.
Connecticut’s Top 3 Home Warranty Companies
The highest rated home warranty companies in Connecticut include:
- American Home Shield: Best Overall
- Liberty Home Guard: Most Responsive
- Select Home Warranty: Best Value
The best home warranties in Connecticut provide comprehensive coverage, plans at affordable price points, and excellent customer service. Here’s more detail about our top picks.
American Home Shield
American Home Shield (AHS) is our top pick for Connecticut residents because of its veteran status within the industry and its extensive coverage options. Compare the benefits and drawbacks of American Home Shield below.
Pros & Cons
✔ Close to 50 years of industry experience
✔ Offers three options for service fees
✔ Doesn’t require a home inspection before coverage starts
✔ Has high coverage caps on appliances and systems
✘ Not many add-on coverage options
✘ Has a short repair guarantee of 30 days
✘ On the expensive end for monthly premiums
Plans & Pricing
AHS offers three plans: the ShieldSilver™, ShieldGold™, and ShieldPlatinum™ plans. The home warranty provider covers systems and appliances regardless of their age, even if they have damage due to rust or corrosion or have undetectable pre-existing conditions.
American Home Shield pricing will be dependent on the service fee you select with the option of a $75, $100, or $125 service fee. Your monthly premium will be determined by your chosen service fee—the higher the service fee, the lower the monthly premium, and vise versa.
Here’s a look at what each plan would cost with a $75 service fee:
- ShieldSilver: $54.99 per month
- ShieldGold: $64.99 per month
- ShieldPlatinum: $79.99 per month
Learn more: American Home Shield Review
Liberty Home Guard
Liberty Home Guard is another solid provider for Connecticut residents, with its extensive list of add-ons and a responsive customer service, including a live chat on its website for 24/7 access to a representative. Liberty also offers unique discounts for select home appliances and second-property coverage plans.
Pros & Cons
✔ Offers a live-chat feature on its website for easy customer service
✔ Provides coverage for items in working condition regardless of age
✔ Offers 38 unique add-on options
✘ Lacks transparency for service call fee
✘ Provides a relatively low $2,000 coverage cap limit for covered items
Plans & Pricing
Liberty Home Guard offers three coverage plans: the Appliance Guard, Systems Guard, and Total Home Guard. The Appliance Guard covers appliances, the Systems Guard covers major systems, and the Total Home Guard covers both home systems and appliances.
Your service call fee will fall between $65 and $125. Liberty Home Guard representative told us that the range is assigned based on the size, type, and location of your home, as well as the plan and add-ons you choose.
Here’s an overview of Liberty Home Guard’s monthly plan costs:
- Appliance Guard: $49.99 per month
- Systems Guard: $54.99 per month
- Total Home Guard: $59.99 per month
To get your personalized quote from Liberty Home Guard, please call 866-452-9107 or fill out the Liberty Home Guard quote form.
Learn More: Liberty Home Guard Review
Select Home Warranty
We recommend Select Home Warranty to Connecticut homeowners, as it’s a reputable company in the home warranty industry. Learn more about the company below.
Pros & Cons
✔ Fields claims 24 hours a day, seven days a week
✔ Provides discounts for customers who purchase several years of protection
✔ Offers free roof leak coverage and optional septic system coverage
✘ Has a $75 cancellation fee
✘ Doesn’t have a mobile app
✘ Charges repeat service fees
Plans & Pricing
Select Home Warranty offers coverage for your home via three plans.
Bronze Care covers standard appliances, Gold Care covers major systems, and Platinum Care combines both plans into one comprehensive coverage plan. All three plans offered are less than $40 a month for Connecticut homeowners.
Select’s service fee is on the lower end of the spectrum, costing $75 per claim.
Here’s a look at the monthly cost of each plan:
- Bronze Care: $35.83 per month
- Gold Care: $35.83 per month
- Platinum Care: $37.50 per month
Learn more: Select Home Warranty Review
A Connecticut home warranty can help protect the investment you spent years saving up for and prevent you from paying expensive repair or replacement costs on major systems and appliances. Before buying a home warranty, we recommend reading third-party home warranty reviews from the Better Business Bureau and getting quotes from all three providers listed in this article so that you can compare coverage and find a plan that fits your home protection needs and budget.
Frequently Asked Questions
Our Rating Methodology
The This Old House Reviews Team is committed to providing comprehensive and unbiased reviews to our readers, and we aim to provide transparency in our review standards and research process.
Our research process includes speaking with representatives from more than 40 home warranty providers, requesting quotes, and asking clarifying questions to gain insight into each provider’s benefits and downsides. We also analyze sample contracts from each company to understand specific coverage terms.
To rate companies, we apply the data we have gathered to our review standards. These standards are on a 100-point scoring system, which is detailed below:
- Coverage (35 points): Providers are scored based on breadth and depth of coverage. We focused on key home systems (HVAC, plumbing, and electrical), essential appliances (refrigerator, ovens, and laundry machines), and unique coverage items (such as roof-leak coverage and code violation allowances). Coverage scores are weighted by taking into account coverage caps and other limiting factors, meaning providers with greater range of coverage and higher coverage caps score the highest.
- Value (30 points): A company’s plan value is a reflection of how well it serves the customer in comparison to what the customer pays for the policy. We accounted for monthly costs, service call fees, and cost flexibility (such as customizable service call fees, discounts, and multi-year policies).
- Trustworthiness and Transparency (21 points): Trustworthiness and transparency are a reflection of how well the provider considers the customer’s interests. We scored items such as the length of workmanship guarantees, online availability of a sample contract, policy change flexibility, and ease of cancellation. Additionally, we scored items that reflect industry reputation and customer satisfaction, including analyzing brand reputation across the Better Business Bureau and third-party customer review aggregators.
- Availability and Service (14 points): Quality of customer service is key to customer satisfaction. We dug into each provider’s guaranteed response times, claims processes, service flexibility, emergency availability, and more.
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at email@example.com.