Best Renters Insurance in Connecticut (2024)
As a renter, you deal with the unexpected. To safeguard yourself and your personal belongings, consider renters insurance. A renters insurance policy protects you and your belongings against unexpected incidents such as fire, storm, and water damage. After assessing the best renters insurance companies available nationwide, the This Old House Reviews Team picked the top choices for Connecticut renters.
5 Best Renters Insurance Companies in Connecticut
Here are the top Connecticut renters insurance providers:
- Lemonade: Best for Easy Coverage
- State Farm: Best for Valuables Coverage
- Liberty Mutual: Best Value
- Allstate: Best for Unique Coverage
- Farmers: Best for Loss of Use Coverage
For this article’s coverage information, our team pulled quotes for a 700-square-foot apartment in Hartford, Connecticut. Your pricing, deductible, and available coverage may vary depending on your home’s size, type, and location, applicable discounts, and your chosen plan and endorsements.
Lemonade: Best for Easy Coverage
Lemonade is our top pick for Connecticut renters insurance due to its quick claims processing and adaptable policies. The company provides a convenient mobile app for filing claims and uploading documents. In addition, it allows you to tailor your policy so you pay for the right coverage for your needs.
Pros and Cons of Lemonade Renters Insurance
We like Lemonade’s tech-forward approach to insurance, but some customers might miss having a live insurance agent to contact.
✔ Offers the easiest sign-up process compared to other providers
✔ Donates unused claim funds to national charities
✔ Provides replacement cost value policies
✘ Increases your monthly premium significantly when you raise personal property coverage
✘ Provides limited discounts
Lemonade provides cost-effective plans if all you need is basic coverage. Our team pulled a quote for a 28-year-old male renter and a 27-year-old female renter without prior covered losses or security devices installed. Lemonade allows you to add your spouse to your policy free of charge. We received the following price: $6 per month.
The price above contains $10,000 in personal belongings, $100,000 in personal liability, $3,000 in loss of use, and $1,000 in medical coverage to others paired with a $2,500 deductible. Your monthly premium may vary based on your coverage amounts and deductible.
Additional Coverage Options
Here is a list of Lemonade’s optional endorsements:
- Additional coverage for jewelry, fine art, and more
- Appliance equipment breakdown
- Coverage for your significant other
- Landlord property damage
- Water backup protection
Lemonade offers the following policy discounts:
- Annual premium discount: This discount is available when you purchase an annual policy.
- Bundling discount: You’re eligible for this discount when you combine your renters insurance with car, pet, or term life insurance.
- Protective devices discount: Lemonade offers this discount if your home has burglar or fire alarms installed.
Get your free renters insurance quote: Lemonade quote
Learn more: Lemonade Renters Insurance Review
State Farm: Best for Valuables Coverage
State Farm provides customizable and affordable protection plans. It differs from other providers because State Farm includes valuables coverage within its standard policies. Other renters insurance providers charge extra for valuable item protection. State Farm also provides generous medical payments to others and liability protection.
Pros and Cons of State Farm Renters Insurance
We think customers will appreciate State Farm’s vast network of agents, but the lack of a chat feature on its website may be a drawback for some.
✔ Bundles valuables coverage with standard plans
✔ Doesn’t charge extra per month for lower deductibles
✔ Offers up to $10,000 in medical expenses to others coverage
✘ Doesn’t provide an online chat feature
✘ Offers some endorsements via an agent only
Our team pulled a quote for a 28-year-old male renter and a 27-year-old female renter without prior covered losses or security devices installed and received a price of $7.08 per month.
The price above contains $2,000 in personal belongings, $100,000 in personal liability, $3,000 in loss of use, $1,000 in medical coverage to others, and $7,500 in valuables coverage paired with a $500 deductible. Your monthly premium may vary based on your coverage amounts and deductible.
Additional Coverage Options
Here is a list of State Farm’s optional endorsements:
- Backup or sewer drain endorsement
- Cyber event, identity restoration, and fraud loss endorsement
- Earthquake endorsement
- Flood insurance endorsement
Here are State Farm’s policy discounts:
- Bundling discount: State Farm offers this discount when policyholders combine an auto insurance policy with a renters insurance policy.
- Claim record discount: This discount is available for those who haven’t filed a claim with a previous insurance carrier within five years.
- Higher deductible discount: Save on your policy when you choose a higher deductible.
- Home alert protection discount: You’re eligible for this discount if your home has installed smoke detectors and burglar and fire alarms.
Get your free renters insurance quote: State Farm quote
Learn more: State Farm Renters Insurance Review
Liberty Mutual: Best Value
Liberty Mutual is another reputable provider that offers affordable renters insurance coverage. You can fully customize your monthly premium with more than four deductible choices. Liberty Mutual also allows you to set your coverage limits. It does, however, cap your personal belongings coverage at a lower amount than other providers.
Pros and Cons of Liberty Mutual Renters Insurance
We like that you can customize your Liberty Mutual policy and deductibles, but you’ll need to provide personal information, such as a social security number, before you get your quote.
✔ Offers up to six deductible options
✔ Provides up to five insurance rate discounts
✔ Includes an earthquake coverage endorsement
✘ Limits personal property coverage to a maximum of $25,000
✘ Requires additional personal information before providing a quote
Our team attempted to pull a price quote for a 28-year-old male renter and a 27-year-old female renter without prior covered losses or security devices installed. Liberty Mutual requires a social security number before sharing its policy costs. Therefore, our team couldn’t obtain a price for a Liberty Mutual renters policy.
Based on the average Connecticut renters insurance cost figures compiled by the Insurance Information Institute (III), we estimate a Liberty Mutual policy costs roughly $15.25 per month. Your monthly premium may vary based on your coverage selections and deductible choice.
Additional Coverage Options
Here is a list of Liberty Mutual’s optional endorsements:
- Blanket jewelry coverage
- Earthquake coverage
- Portable electronics coverage
Here are Liberty Mutual’s policy discounts:
- Claims-free discount: Liberty Mutual offers this discount when you haven’t filed a claim with a different insurance provider within the past five years.
- Early shopper discount: Sign up for a renters insurance policy before your current one expires to receive this discount.
- Multi-policy discount: This discount is available when you pair your renters insurance with other insurance policies, such as an auto policy.
- Online sign-up discount: You’re eligible for this discount when you sign up online.
- Preferred payment discount: This discount is available when you enroll in an automatic payment plan.
Get your free renters insurance quote: Liberty Mutual quote
Learn more: Liberty Mutual Renters Insurance Review
Allstate: Best for Unique Coverage
Allstate is another solid renters insurance provider due to its expansive network of insurance agents, customizable coverage, and unique offerings. For those concerned about Connecticut’s inclement weather, Allstate provides natural disaster deductible coverage, such as its tropical cyclone deductible and earthquake endorsement.
Pros and Cons of Allstate Renters Insurance
Customers of any age will appreciate Allstate’s unique offerings and discounts, but that comes with a slightly higher policy price than other providers on this list.
✔ Grants policy discounts for seniors 55 years and older
✔ Provides unique building codes coverage
✔ Includes a live-chat feature on its website
✘ Prices policies slightly higher compared to other providers
✘ Provides a limited amount of deductible choices compared to other providers
Our team pulled a quote for a 28-year-old male renter and a 27-year-old female renter without prior covered losses or security devices installed and obtained the following price figures:
- Basic: $13 per month
- Standard: $13 per month
- Enhanced: $21 per month
Allstate coverage limits vary based on the policy you choose. In addition, your monthly premium may increase or decrease based on your deductible choice.
Additional Coverage Options
Allstate provides endorsement options online and via an agent. Here is the full list of available add-ons:
- Building codes (online and via an agent)
- Identity theft (online and via an agent)
- Flood insurance endorsement (agent only)
- Personal umbrella policy (agent only)
- Scheduled personal property endorsement (agent only)
Allstate offers the following discounts:
- 55 and retired discount: Allstate offers this discount for renters who are 55 and older.
- Easy Pay Plan: This discount is available when you enroll your renters insurance policy in an automatic payment plan.
- Multi-policy discount: Save on your policy when you pair your renters insurance with a car insurance policy.
Get your free renters insurance quote: Allstate quote
Learn more: Allstate Renters Insurance Review
Farmers: Best for Loss of Use Coverage
Farmers provides the most additional living expenses coverage of all the providers in this article. Farmers offers policies both online and via an insurance agent. Additionally, Farmers offers multiple deductibles to customize your renters insurance rate.
Pros and Cons of Farmers Renters Insurance
We like Farmers’ generous loss of use coverage of up to 100%, but customers may be frustrated by having to call an agent for some endorsements.
✔ Grants access to a nationwide network of insurance agents
✔ Offers generous additional living expenses coverage
✔ Lowers its claims-free requirement to three years instead of five
✘ Doesn’t cover high-risk dog breeds
✘ Prices its policies more than other providers for basic coverage
Our team pulled a quote for a 28-year-old male renter and a 27-year-old female renter without prior covered losses or security devices installed and received a price of $14 per month.
This price includes $4,000 in personal property, $100,000 in personal liability, $800 in loss of use, and $1,000 in medical coverage to others with a $500 deductible. Your monthly premium may vary based on your coverage selections and deductible choice.
Additional Coverage Options
Farmers provides endorsement options online and via an agent. Here is the full list of available add-ons:
- Earthquake endorsement (agent only)
- Flood insurance endorsement (agent only)
- Identity Shield (online or via an agent)
- Jewelry, fur, and firearms coverage (agent only)
Farmers offers the following discounts.
- Claims-free discount: This discount is for renters who haven’t filed a claim within the last three years.
- Multiple policy discount: You can save when you bundle your policy with car or life insurance.
- Security system discount: Farmers offers this discount for renters with installed fire alarms or security systems.
- Smoke-free discount: This discount is available for renters who have been smoke-free for two years.
- Welcome discount: New Farmers customers are eligible for this discount.
Get your free renters insurance quote: Farmers quote
Learn more: Farmers Renters Insurance Review
What Is the Average Cost of Renters Insurance in Connecticut?
According to the III, Connecticut renters insurance rates are higher compared to other states; it ranks 13th for the most expensive premium. Expect to pay roughly $183 a year, or $15.25 per month, for a Connecticut policy. Here are a few factors that affect your renters insurance cost:
- Your belongings: Providers adjust your monthly or yearly premium based on how much personal property coverage you need. Carefully consider how much you need covered since personal belongings coverage can significantly increase your rate.
- Your deductible: Providers allow you to select your deductible. The deductible you choose can raise or lower your insurance rate.
- Your location: Providers typically charge more if you live in an area at high risk for covered perils, such as wildfires or vandalism. Additionally, the age of your home affects your policy’s cost since the likelihood you file a claim increases with an older home.
- Your pet: The type of pet you own may affect your renters insurance cost. Some pets, such as dogs, may exclude you from coverage if your provider deems your pet to be an aggressive breed. A few dog breeds that insurance companies consider aggressive are Doberman pinschers, German shepherds, pit bulls, and Rottweilers.
What Does Renters Insurance Cover?
Renters insurance provides four types of coverage: liability, loss of use, medical payments to others, and personal property. In addition, each provider may have unique coverage, such as natural disaster coverage. Here is an overview of the four types of renters insurance coverage:
- Liability: Liability coverage covers damage you or your pet cause to someone’s property. For example, legal fees count as a covered loss for liability coverage.
- Loss of use: Loss of use coverage covers living expenses if your home becomes unlivable. Common living expenses include meals and hotel and laundry expenses.
- Medical payments to others: Your renters insurance policy covers the medical bills of anyone who gets hurt inside your home up to your coverage limit.
- Personal property: Personal property coverage protects your belongings inside your home or car. However, most providers won’t cover valuables such as jewelry unless you purchase an endorsement.
What Risks Do Renters in Connecticut Face the Most?
Since Connecticut has a coastline of more than 300 miles and is further north compared to other states, there are several weather risks to consider when shopping for a renters insurance policy. The most common are the following:
- Cold weather: Connecticut experiences harsh winters with lots of snowfall. Heavy snow can lead to water damage to your belongings. Ensure your policy includes water damage.
- Flooding: According to ClimateCheck, Connecticut ranks number five in the nation for flood risk. Most providers offer flood coverage as an endorsement.
- High-speed winds and storms: Connecticut experiences strong winds due to hurricanes and other tropical storms. Some providers, such as Allstate, offer specific tropical cyclone coverage.
Whether you live in New Haven or Manchester, a Connecticut renters insurance policy gives you peace of mind that your most important possessions are covered. The This Old House Reviews Team recommends Lemonade for its ease of use. State Farm is a solid pick for those who want additional valuables coverage. Liberty Mutual is worth considering if you prefer affordable basic coverage. We recommend getting quotes from at least three providers before signing up for a policy.
FAQ About Renters Insurance in Connecticut
Does my renters insurance policy cover my roommate?
No, your renters insurance policy doesn’t cover your roommate or their personal belongings. Typically, your roommate needs their own renters insurance policy to cover their valuables, even if you have a policy and they live in the same home as you.
What is the best renters insurance company in Connecticut?
Our team considers Lemonade to be the best renters insurance company in Connecticut. Lemonade provides customizable coverage, an easy sign-up process, and an intuitive mobile app. Consider your individual needs before choosing an insurance provider.
Is renters insurance tax deductible?
Renters insurance is tax deductible if you use your home to run your business. However, you must establish an area in your home where you conduct business, such as an office or den, to receive tax advantages.
Can I cancel my renters insurance policy?
Yes, you can cancel your renters insurance policy at any time. Some providers charge a cancellation fee of up to 10% of your policy cost. To cancel your policy, contact your provider. It may require you to submit your cancellation in writing before granting your request.
Our Rating Methodology
The This Old House Reviews Team rates providers using comprehensive review standards to score each company. Our review standards compare relevant factors such as cost, coverage, customer experience, technology, and reputation, which tally up to 100 points. The score is then divided by 20 for a final 5-point rating scale. In addition, we reviewed provider websites, customer access features, and tools; spoke with representatives; obtained sample quotes and policy terms; analyzed AM Best and JD Power ratings; and reviewed online customer feedback for each provider.
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at email@example.com.