Home>Discussions>ELECTRICAL & LIGHTING>Shower of sparks from a light switch!
4 posts / 0 new
Last post
HoffDNA
Shower of sparks from a light switch!

In a new basement room, our light switch has been working fine until today when a shower of sparks erupted when my husband turned it on. The room is not finished yet, so there is no switch cover on. We can see that at the point where one of the black wires is wrapped around the switch contact, the screw is blackened/scorched. Is it possible that the ground wire came into contact with the load wire and caused the sparks? What else could have happened, and what should we do to make sure this doesn't happen again?

Thanks in advance for your help!

JLMCDANIEL
Re: Shower of sparks from a light switch!

If the ground wire came in contact with the screw would cause it and the ground wire should also be blackened. A piece of conductive debris in the box could be the cause. Or if the screw was not tightened down could be the cause. An internal failure in the switch could be the cause.At the very least you should remove and replace the switch.
Jack

peterbouchard
Re: Shower of sparks from a light switch!

I would check to see if your spouse recently updated your life insurance policy. :D

HoffDNA
Re: Shower of sparks from a light switch!

Hmmm, I'll check on that policy... ;)

The switch was just hanging, and we determined that the two wires must have come into contact to cause the arc. We'll screw the thing into place with the ground wire out of the way, as it should have been in the first place. Thanks for your advice!

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.