Home>Discussions>DOORS & WINDOWS>Door jamb replace or fix?
2 posts / 0 new
Last post
Door jamb replace or fix?

I have recently purchased my first home and my list of "improvements" is growing by the day. Before I did anything major I decided to replace all the exterior deadbolts and keyed handles. The house came with cheap deadbolts that were in poor shape, so replacing them made the most sense to me. While replacing the front deadbolt I discovered that the strike plate for the deadbolt (is that the right term?) was covering wood that is in bad shape. My question is, do I replace the frame, the door/frame or fill with epoxy/wood filler? Any thoughts the community has would be much appreciated! As a side note, the jamb for the knob seems to be too short for the width of the frame, is this typical? Should I just install a larger strike plate?

Pics at (remove the spaces):

tinyurl.com / bszldko

Re: Door jamb replace or fix?

You can get over size strike plates and fit them in place, using longer hard to break wood screws, or fill in the space with wood putty/filler and caulking.

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.