We spend most of our time in our basement when relaxing. Unfortunately, if we are watching a television show we cannot hear the doorbell. I tried to add a second chime in the basement by wiring it to the transformer (along with the main floor chime). As soon as I turned the power on at the fuse box I could hear one tone (it's a 2 tone chime) and then I went to the chime and it had a loud buzzing.
Here's how I have it wired:
- Doorbell connected to red/white wire
- At the main floor chime:
- Red wire from doorbell attached to "Front" node
- Red wire from transformer in basement attached to "Transformer" node
- 2 white wires tied/capped together
- Basement chime
- Red wire connected to "Front" node
- White wire connected to "Transformer" node
- Red wires from both chimes tied/capped together with a third red wire to make it easier to tie them into the transfomer
- White wires from both chimes tied/capped together with a third white wire to make it easier to tie them into the transformer
I'm not anywhere near being an electrician. As a matter of fact, I work at a certain insurance company in central Illinois (hint hint! :) ). However, I do understand about needing to complete a circuit properly...my guess is I haven't done so. Help!