Home>Discussions>EXTERIORS>5 X 5 Outdoor Porch turned post
3 posts / 0 new
Last post
btdrager
5 X 5 Outdoor Porch turned post
btdrager

I have a post that measures 4 1/2 X 4 1/2 assuming is is a 5 X5 post. I need to sister from base to about 1' to 2' ft high because it's rotted at the bottom. I went to lows and they only sell a 4X4 or 6X6. Nobody sells a 5X5. Anyone have any suggestions? I'm assuming I can get a 6X6 and cut 1 1/2 '' off. How would I go about this. Table saw , hand circular saw etc.

A. Spruce
Re: 5 X 5 Outdoor Porch turned post
A. Spruce

That is an odd size, so you will have to have it custom milled. You can do it yourself with a typical circular saw. I would recommending cutting just a tad wide of your mark, then use a belt sander to bring the cut faces perfectly smooth and even and rounding the corners of the post as needed.

I would also recommend replacement of the entire post if this "patch is going to be visible, since you will have to wrap the joint with 1x or better to marry the two pieces of post into one stable unit.

btdrager
Re: 5 X 5 Outdoor Porch turned post
btdrager

Resolved, Took a pressure treated 2X6 and cut to length in three sections. Glued & used deck screws. Sanded all the way around and added metal cleat and put in place. Cut rotted section out. Was not a load bearing post. Looks only. Just needs primer & paint.

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.