If you live in the southeastern United States, you might be considering adding a CPI Security system to your home. CPI Security has been providing home security alarms and systems for over 25 years, and the company offers a variety of packages to fit the individual needs and budget of each homeowner.
Our CPI Security review will introduce you to a few of CPI’s package options, pricing information, and customer testimonials. Keep reading to learn if CPI Security can provide the best home security system for you.
Our Take on CPI Security
CPI Security has over 25 years of experience providing home security systems nationwide, holds an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau (BBB), and has 24/7 customer service. However, it doesn’t give exact pricing information online and has a no return policy.
Pros and Cons of CPI Security
|✔ Variety of packages available||✘ Lengthy contracts required if you don't pay upfront|
|✔ Professional installation included on all packages||✘ No return policy|
|✔ Compensates you for false alarm fines from local authorities||✘ Video streaming not available on all packages|
CPI Security Packages and Equipment
CPI Security offers two distinct packages to customers:
- “inTouch Essentials” Package: The inTouch Essentials package is CPI Security’s most basic package. It includes five door and window sensors, an indoor motion detector, and a basic wireless control panel.
- “inTouch Essentials Plus” Package: The inTouch Essentials Plus package includes everything in the Essentials package along with a SmartHub center. An additional motion sensor, doorbell camera, and archived video footage are available for an added fee.
Every package includes professional installation. A home security expert will visit your property, install your system, make recommendations on how to use your system, and show you how to arm and disarm alarms.
CPI Security Package Comparison
|Feature||"inTouch Essentials" Package||"inTouch Essentials Plus" Package|
|Mobile app access||✔||✔|
|Smart home compatibility||✘||✔|
|Video streaming capability||✘||✔|
CPI Security Optional Add-Ons
CPI Security also offers customers the option to add additional security equipment to your package. Some popular extras include:
- Glass break detector—The glass break detector will alert you when a glass window or door is smashed, not just when it’s opened.
- Fire communicator—Unlike a standard smoke detector, CPI’s fire communicator will contact the authorities automatically when it detects fire or smoke.
- Water sensor—CPI Security’s water sensor will contact you if it detects interior flooding from an appliance or the weather.
CPI Security Pricing
CPI Security doesn’t offer standardized pricing for its packages online. This is because the specific price that you’ll pay for your package may vary depending on the number of devices you add to your package and other factors.
CPI Security’s monthly monitoring starts at $29.99 a month for all of its packages, but equipment costs will vary. The best way to learn more about what you’ll pay is to contact CPI by calling 844-901-4584 and requesting an online quote.
CPI Security Customer Service
CPI Security offers 24/7 customer service. You can contact the customer service team using a number of methods:
- By phone—To contact CPI Security by phone, dial 800-948-7133. Phone support is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- Live chat—Chat with a CPI representative by accessing its customer care page and clicking the “live chat” button.
- By email—To contact CPI Security by email, visit the home security company’s customer care page and click on the button labeled, “submit a question.” CPI will then redirect you to a support ticket you can submit.
A limited one-year warranty for parts and a 90-day warranty for labor comes standard with each CPI Security package. You can also purchase extended coverage through CPI’s Service Plus Warranty add-on, which covers free replacement parts for both damage and normal wear and tear.
CPI Security Reviews
CPI Security currently has an A+ rating on its Better Business Bureau page, and it has a high average customer rating. On third-party review sites, customers who had positive experiences with CPI praise the customer care team, its attention to detail, and the ability to customize your package.
Let’s take a look at a few sample reviews from the BBB below.
“We’ve been customers since 2007. We are so happy with not only our security system components, but also with the genuine care and attention CPI customer service has provided to us all of these years.” — Dina K. on 3/16/2020
Customers who had negative experiences often complained about billing issues and questionable contract disputes.
“If I only can give 0 stars—terrible consumer experience, they tie you to a contract and cannot let you leave without paying. If you plan to move, they will charge you exorbitantly to make money. AVOID CPI at all costs.” — Nehal P. on 4/15/2019
CPI Security provides a wide range of security packages and plenty of smart devices. Tech-savvy homeowners may love the company’s SmartHub panel, inclusive inTouch app, and live video streaming. However, if you’re searching for a flexible contract or a standard extended warranty, CPI Security might not be right for you.
We still recommend exploring CPI’s customization options and seeing if the company’s equipment falls within your budget.
CPI Security vs. Competitors
Still not sure about CPI Security? Check out our provider comparison chart below.
Provider Comparison Chart
|View packages||View Plans||View Plans||View Plans|
|Equipment prices||Varies||$599.00 and up||Bundled with contract|
|Monitoring prices (per month)||$29.99 and up||$40.00 and up||$29.00 and up|
|Contract required||Yes if not paid upfront||No||36 months|
|Professional installation||Included||Pricing by quote||$99.00 and up|
|DIY installation||Not available||Not available||Not available|
|Mobile app access||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Smart home compatibility||Yes||Yes||Yes|
More Reviews on Home Security Systems
- Vivint Home Security Review
- Alder Home Security Review
- SimpliSafe Home Security Review
- Nest Home Security Review
- Scout Home Security Review
- Canary Home Security Review
- Vector Security Review
- ADT Home Security Review
Our Rating Methodology
The This Old House Reviews Team is committed to providing comprehensive and unbiased reviews to our readers. This means earning your trust through transparent reviews and having the data to back up our ratings and recommendations. Our rating system for home security providers is on a 100-point scale based on 10 factors:
- Number of systems (5)
- Special features (10)
- Installation options (5)
- Connectivity and smart home automation (15)
- Pricing (15)
- Contract period (5)
- Warranty (15)
- Trial period (15)
- Usability (5)
- Trustworthiness (10)
Our team reviewed 32 companies and spent 744 hours researching and testing out products to help us compare home security systems on key factors such as package options, cost, reliability, and ease of use. Read more on our methodology here.