Peace of mind is the biggest selling point for a Tennessee home warranty. This type of home protection plan ensures that you can afford an expensive repair or replacement when one of your major home systems or appliances breaks down and that you’ll be able to easily get a fix in a matter of days.
The This Old House Reviews Team has put together a review of the best home warranty companies in the Volunteer State. Continue reading for an in-depth look at company plans, add-on options, and pricing.
Tennessee’s Top 4 Home Warranty Companies
The highest rated home warranty companies in Tennessee include:
- American Home Shield: Best Overall
- Choice Home Warranty: Best Basic Plan
- Liberty Home Guard: Most Responsive
- Priority Home Warranty: Best for Choosing Your Own Contractor
Because of how saturated the Tennessee home warranty market is, we picked out the four best home warranty providers based on coverage, pricing, customer service, and industry experience.
American Home Shield
American Home Shield (AHS) has almost 50 years of experience providing warranty coverage to Tennessee homeowners. AHS is known for offering coverage for unknown pre-existing conditions and allowing customers to choose their own service fee.
Plans & Pricing
AHS offers three plans—the ShieldSilver™, ShieldGold™, and ShieldPlatinum™ plans. The ShieldSilver covers systems, while the ShieldGold and ShieldPlatinum plans cover the entire home. The ShieldPlatinum plan is very comprehensive, with some of the most generous coverage caps available to Tennessee homeowners.
To further customize your plan, you can add coverage for the following items to your plan for an additional cost every month: Guest unit under 750 square feet, electronics extended warranty, pool and spa, well pump, septic pump
American Home Shield plans typically range between $40–$58 per month, with the ShieldSilver as the cheapest and the ShieldPlatinum as the most expensive.
In addition to this monthly premium, customers are required to pay a service fee every time a technician comes to diagnose a broken system or appliance. Service fee options are $75, $100, or $125. If you choose a lower service fee, your monthly premium will be higher.
Learn more: American Home Shield Review
Choice Home Warranty
Choice Home Warranty (CHW) has over 11 years of home warranty experience and is known for its affordable plans and service fees for customers on a budget.
Plans & Pricing
CHW has two plans—a Basic Plan and a Total Plan. The Basic Plan protects 14 systems and appliances. For comprehensive coverage that includes air conditioners, refrigerators, washers, and dryers, consider signing up for the Total Plan.
Here are a few of Choice Home Warranty’s add-on options: Limited roof leaks, sump pump, well pump, second refrigerator, central vacuum
In addition to a service fee between $60–$85, here’s what you can expect to pay monthly a Choice Home Warranty plan:
- Basic Plan: $36.17 per month
- Total Plan: $43.85 per month
Learn more: Choice Home Warranty Review
Liberty Home Guard
Liberty Home Guard (LHG) is newer to the home warranty industry with just two years of experience. However, its plans can be tailored to fit each homeowner’s needs with the 20 add-on options.
Plans & Pricing
LHG has three plans—Appliance Guard, System Guard, and Total Home Guard. Their names are self-explanatory with Appliance Guard protecting nine appliances, System Guard protecting six systems, and Total Home Guard protecting all 15 appliances and systems.
Here are a some of the LHG add-on options you can add onto any plan: Pest control, limited roof leak, re-key, fixtures, lawn sprinkler system
Here are monthly estimates for LHG plans:
- Appliance Guard: $39.99 per month
- System Guard: $49.99 per month
- Total Home Guard: $59.99 per month
Note: Customers pay $60 per service call.
Learn more: Liberty Home Guard Review
Priority Home Warranty
Priority Home Warranty is an affordable home warranty provider for Tennessee residents, especially if you have an insured and licensed contractor that you would choose to work with as often as possible. Priority offers three plans under $50 a month, 20 additional coverage options, and availability in 23 states across the country.
Plans & Pricing
Priority Home Warranty offers three standard plan options, including a systems-only plan, an appliance-only plan, and a combination plan that covers most essential items in your home.
Priority offers an impressive list of 20 add-on options, some of which include: Second clothes washer and dryer, second dishwasher, septic pumping, water softener, well pump, limited roof leak
In addition to a $70 service call fee, these are the estimated monthly prices of Priority’s plans:
- Systems Home Care: $33 per month
- Appliance Home Care: $33 per month
- Total Home Care: $47 per month
The This Old House Reviews Team pulled a quote for a single-family home smaller than 5,000 square feet in Knoxville, Tennessee.
Learn more: Priority Home Warranty Review
Any Tennessee resident can find home warranty coverage with the customizable, affordable, and diverse plans from American Home Shield, Choice Home Warranty, Liberty Home Guard, and Priority Home Warranty. We recommend getting quotes from all four of the companies to compare pricing and find the best plan that fits within your budget.
Frequently Asked Questions
Our Rating Methodology
The This Old House Reviews Team is committed to providing comprehensive and unbiased reviews to our readers, and we aim to provide transparency in our review standards and research process.
Our research process includes speaking with representatives from more than 40 home warranty providers, requesting quotes, and asking clarifying questions to gain insight into each provider’s benefits and downsides. We also analyze sample contracts from each company to understand specific coverage terms.
To rate companies, we apply the data we have gathered to our review standards. These standards are on a 100-point scoring system, which is detailed below:
- Coverage (35 points): Providers are scored based on breadth and depth of coverage. We focused on key home systems (HVAC, plumbing, and electrical), essential appliances (refrigerator, ovens, and laundry machines), and unique coverage items (such as roof-leak coverage and code violation allowances). Coverage scores are weighted by taking into account coverage caps and other limiting factors, meaning providers with greater range of coverage and higher coverage caps score the highest.
- Value (30 points): A company’s plan value is a reflection of how well it serves the customer in comparison to what the customer pays for the policy. We accounted for monthly costs, service call fees, and cost flexibility (such as customizable service call fees, discounts, and multi-year policies).
- Trustworthiness and Transparency (21 points): Trustworthiness and transparency are a reflection of how well the provider considers the customer’s interests. We scored items such as the length of workmanship guarantees, online availability of a sample contract, policy change flexibility, and ease of cancellation. Additionally, we scored items that reflect industry reputation and customer satisfaction, including analyzing brand reputation across the Better Business Bureau and third-party customer review aggregators.
- Availability and Service (14 points): Quality of customer service is key to customer satisfaction. We dug into each provider’s guaranteed response times, claims processes, service flexibility, emergency availability, and more.
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.