A Rhode Island home warranty will save you money when one of your major systems or appliances, like your heating or plumbing, inevitably breaks down from all of its use. Not to mention, having a home warranty prevents you from having to spend time and money looking for a trusted contractor to complete repairs.
The This Old House Reviews Team compared plans, pricing, and customer reviews to help you find the best home warranty. Keep reading for the top home warranty companies in the Ocean State.
Rhode Island’s Top 3 Home Warranty Companies
The three Rhode Island providers in this review stood out because of their comprehensive plans, extensive add-on options, excellent customer service, and affordable pricing. The highest rated home warranty companies in Rhode Island include:
- American Home Shield: Our Overall Top Pick
- Select Home Warranty: Best Value
- Choice Home Warranty: Best Basic Plan
American Home Shield
American Home Shield (AHS) is our top pick for Rhode Island homeowners because it has more than 45 years of industry experience and three coverage plans. Some of American Home Shield’s best features are its generous coverage caps and option for choosing your own service fee.
Pros and Cons
✔ Offers 24/7 customer service
✔ Customers can receive discounts on name brand appliances
✔ Covers items with undetectable pre-existing conditions
✘ Doesn’t offer a plan that covers appliances only
✘ Doesn’t offer protection for items under a manufacturer’s warranty
Plans and Pricing
American Home Shield offers the ShieldSilver™, ShieldGold™, and ShieldPlatinum™ plans. The ShieldPlatinum plan is among the most comprehensive in the industry, It covers 23 appliances and systems, offers roof leak coverage, and allows the homeowner one free HVAC tune-up during the warranty period.
In addition to these plans, American Home Shield offers optional add-on coverage for the following items: Guest unit under 750 square feet, electronic extended warranty, pool and spa, well pump, septic pump
American Home Shield plans range between $40–$58 per month. You can also choose a service fee of $75, $100, or $125 when signing up for a plan, making it a flexible option for homeowners. The lower the service fee you choose, the higher the monthly premium.
Learn more: American Home Shield Review
Select Home Warranty
Select Home Warranty is a newer home warranty company, but it has the lowest service fees and the longest list of add-on options compared to the other providers in this review.
Pros and Cons
✔ Provides a discount if you enroll in a multi-year plan
✔ Offers free roof leak coverage
✔ Covers rental properties, mobile homes, manufactured home, single-family homes, and condos
✘ Has low coverage caps
✘ Charges a $75 cancellation fee
Plans and Pricing
Select Home Warranty offers three separate plans for systems, appliances, and comprehensive coverage. Gold Care covers six systems, Bronze Care covers eight appliances, and Platinum Care covers all 14 items, plus plumbing stoppages and garage door openers.
Here are just a few of the unique items you can add onto any plan to customize your coverage: Lawn sprinkler system, switches and outlets, lighting fixtures, refrigerator ice maker, plumbing fixtures
Select Home Warranty plans are cheaper when you pay for them in a lump sum at the beginning of the year, as opposed to paying for them month by month. On average, Select plans range between $36–$38 per month. The provider also charges a service call fee of $75 per claim.
Learn more: Select Home Warranty Review
Choice Home Warranty
Choice Home Warranty (CHW) has more than 10 years of experience in the home warranty industry and is known for not denying coverage based on the age of a system or appliance.
Pros and Cons
✔ Has a 90-day repair guarantee
✔ Has a guaranteed response time within 48 hours of receiving a claim
✔ Offers coverage without requiring a home inspection
✘ Doesn’t allow customers to choose a repair technician
✘ Customers can’t customize their plans
Plans and Pricing
Choice has a Basic Plan and a Total Plan. The Basic Plan covers 14 major systems and appliances, while the Total Plan covers everything under the Basic Plan, plus a refrigerator, air conditioner, washer, and dryer.
Here are a few items you can add onto any plan for an additional cost: Limited roof leaks, sump pump, well pump, central vacuum, second refrigerator
Choice Home Warranty plans cost between $37 and $50 per month and offers service fees between $60–$85.
Learn more: Choice Home Warranty Review
American Home Shield, Select Home Warranty, and Choice Home Warranty provide some of the best Rhode Island home warranty plans for residents. Regardless of which home warranty company you choose, you’ll have peace of mind that if a covered system or appliance were to break, you’d be covered. Before you purchase a home warranty, we recommend getting quotes from all three companies since pricing will change depending on your region and home size.
Frequently Asked Questions
Our Rating Methodology
The This Old House Reviews Team is committed to providing comprehensive and unbiased reviews to our readers, and we aim to provide transparency in our review standards and research process.
Our research process includes speaking with representatives from more than 40 home warranty providers, requesting quotes, and asking clarifying questions to gain insight into each provider’s benefits and downsides. We also analyze sample contracts from each company to understand specific coverage terms.
To rate companies, we apply the data we have gathered to our review standards. These standards are on a 100-point scoring system, which is detailed below:
- Coverage (35 points): Providers are scored based on breadth and depth of coverage. We focused on key home systems (HVAC, plumbing, and electrical), essential appliances (refrigerator, ovens, and laundry machines), and unique coverage items (such as roof-leak coverage and code violation allowances). Coverage scores are weighted by taking into account coverage caps and other limiting factors, meaning providers with greater range of coverage and higher coverage caps score the highest.
- Value (30 points): A company’s plan value is a reflection of how well it serves the customer in comparison to what the customer pays for the policy. We accounted for monthly costs, service call fees, and cost flexibility (such as customizable service call fees, discounts, and multi-year policies).
- Trustworthiness and Transparency (21 points): Trustworthiness and transparency are a reflection of how well the provider considers the customer’s interests. We scored items such as the length of workmanship guarantees, online availability of a sample contract, policy change flexibility, and ease of cancellation. Additionally, we scored items that reflect industry reputation and customer satisfaction, including analyzing brand reputation across the Better Business Bureau and third-party customer review aggregators.
- Availability and Service (14 points): Quality of customer service is key to customer satisfaction. We dug into each provider’s guaranteed response times, claims processes, service flexibility, emergency availability, and more.
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.