Dealing with a broken appliance or system can be exhausting, especially when it comes to scheduling and paying for repairs. A home warranty can help ease this pain by protecting major home systems and appliances when they break down unexpectedly and covering the cost of expensive repairs or replacements.
With a Washington home warranty, you can rest assured that if your heating system fails in the middle of winter, it’ll be repaired or replaced in a timely manner—saving you from bundling up in blankets to escape the cold.
The This Old House Reviews Team wanted to help make searching for a home protection plan in Washington simple. In this review, we’ll discuss the best home warranty companies in Washington and help you find the right protection plan for you and your home.
Washington’s Top 5 Home Warranty Companies
The highest rated home warranty companies in Washington include:
- American Home Shield: Best Overall
- First American Home Warranty: Best Appliance Coverage
- The Home Service Club: Quickest Coverage
- America’s 1st Choice Home Club: Best for Customization
- Cinch Home Services: Best Additional Perks
Our team took coverage options, pricing, customer reviews, and a variety of other factors into consideration when selecting the best home warranty providers in Washington. Here are our top five picks.
American Home Shield
American Home Shield (AHS) is the top home warranty provider in Washington, offering customers the choice of three comprehensive and affordable plan options. AHS has paid out $2 billion in home warranty claims in the last five years and has a network of 17,000 vetted, local contractors.
Here are some benefits of American Home Shield:
- Veteran in the home warranty industry with over 45 years of experience
- Offers coverage for older items, no matter their age
- Has generous coverage caps on home systems and appliances
- Allows customers to choose between a $75, $100, $125 service fee
Plans & Pricing
American Home Shield’s ShieldSilver™ plan covers home systems. The ShieldGold™ adds appliance coverage to the ShieldSilver’s coverage, and the ShieldPlatinum™ increases coverage caps across all items. The ShieldPlatinum plan also provides roof leak coverage and a free HVAC tune-up during the warranty period.
AHS also allows customers to add on optional coverage for the following items: Electronic extended warranty, pool and spas, well pump, septic pump, guest unit under 750 square feet
American Home Shield offers flexible service fees, allowing you to choose from a $75, $100, or $125 payment. The lower your service fee is, the higher your monthly payment will be, and vise versa.
Here’s a monthly breakdown of each plan if you choose a $75 service fee:
- ShieldSilver: $54.99 per month
- ShieldGold: $64.99 per month
- ShieldPlatinum: $79.99 per month
Learn more: American Home Shield Review
First American Home Warranty
First American Home Warranty (FAHW) has been protecting customers’ appliances and systems since 1984, providing extensive coverage through two coverage options: a Basic Plan and a Premier Plan.
Here are some benefits of First American Home Warranty:
- Has affordable coverage packages compared to other industry leaders
- Gives customers the ability to file claims online and through the phone
- Provides coverage for improperly installed or maintained appliances and systems
- Offers flexible payment options
Plans & Pricing
The Basic Plan provides coverage for a variety of appliances and systems, including the washing machine, dryer, and refrigerator. The Premier Plan covers everything in the Basic Plan, plus coverage for your plumbing system, plumbing stoppages, heating system, water heater, electrical system, garage door opener, ductwork, and central vacuum system.
First American Home Warranty also provides coverage for optional items like your central air conditioning system, secondary refrigeration, pool and spa equipment, well pump, and the First Class Upgrade.
The First Class Upgrade allows policyholders to receive coverage for cosmetic damages, granting customers access to the following benefits: Covers expenses from using cranes during installation, pays up to $250 where local building permits are required for replacing appliances, and pays for expenses related to the removal or hauling away of an appliance
First American Home Shield customers are charged a service fee of $75 every time a service contractor is called to the home to assess a broken appliance or system.
Here’s an overview of First American plan pricing:
- Basic Plan: $25.00 per month
- Premier Plan: $39.50 per month
Learn more: First American Home Warranty Review
The Home Service Club
Although a relatively new company in the home warranty industry, The Home Service Club (HSC) provides basic coverage for major appliances and systems through two coverage options: Standard Coverage and Comprehensive Coverage.
Here are a few benefits of Home Service Club:
- Doesn’t require a home inspection for coverage to begin
- Has a 30-day labor guarantee and 90-day parts guarantee
- Covers repairs and replacements of covered items regardless of the age, make, or model
- Offers excellent customer service, with representatives available 24 hours a day
Plans & Pricing
The Standard Plan covers all of your home’s major appliances and systems including the refrigerator, heating system, and plumbing. The Essential Plan covers everything in the previous plan but adds on additional coverage for items like telephone wiring, sump pumps, and smoke detectors.
The Home Service Club also offers the choice of additional protection for the following items: Roof coverage, jetted bathtub, well pump, sewage ejector pump, pool or spa, water softener, freestanding freezer, spa and spa heater, sprinkler system, freestanding additional refrigerator, refrigerator built-in units with dual compressors, utility line coverage
For each claim, you’ll be required to pay a $75 service fee.
Compare pricing for The Home Service Club plans below:
- Standard Coverage: $45.95 per month
- Comprehensive Coverage: $60.95 per month
Learn more: The Home Service Club Review
America’s 1st Choice Home Club
America’s 1st Choice Home Club (AFC Home Club) is a great plan for homeowners who want to take advantage of customization. Not all Washington residents live in the same kind of house, so AFC Home Club’s four plans and flexible service call fee can help customers make the most of their plan and budget.
Here are some benefits of AFC Home Club:
- All repairs and replacements performed by AFC Home Club technicians are protected by a plan-length workmanship guarantee, which can be up to three years
- Customers are eligible for additional benefits, such as free credit monitoring
- 4 plan options, which is more than the typical two or three plans offered by competitors
Plans & Pricing
AFC Home Club offers four plan options: the Systems Plan, the Silver Plan, the Gold Plan, and the Platinum Plan. The Systems Plan covers exclusively built-in systems while the Silver Plan covers exclusively appliances. The Gold Plan combines the coverage of the Systems and Silver Plan. The Platinum Plan takes coverage one step further by protecting built-in microwaves and ice makers.
AFC Home Club offers a number of add-on options: Tankless water heater, in-ground pool, stand-alone freezer, sump pump, double oven, central vacuum, ice maker, hot water dispenser, well pump, built-in microwave
AFC Home Club offers a flexible service call fee model, which allows you to choose a service call fee between $75 and $125. The higher your service call fee, the lower your monthly fees will be.
Here’s a breakdown of AFC Home Club’s monthly costs for each plan:
- Silver Plan: $37.92–$43.33 per month
- Systems Plan: $46.08–$51.50 per month
- Gold Plan: $51.17–$59.58 per month
- Platinum Plan: $59.58–$65 per month
Learn more: America’s 1st Choice Home Club Review
Cinch Home Services
Cinch Home Services is a good choice for homeowners that want the reliability of a company that has been around for decades, comprehensive policy options, and additional perks that make the monthly cost worthwhile even when you don’t file a claim.
Here are some benefits of Cinch Home Services:
- Free water sensor with every plan
- $25 credit for air conditioning or water filters
- Flexible service call fee allows customers to adjust their monthly fees to meet their budget
Plans & Pricing
Cinch Home Services offers three standard plan options: an appliance-only plan, a systems-only plan, and a combo plan. The Appliances Plan covers 12 appliances, including built-in trash compactors, range exhaust hoods, and dishwashers. The Built-in Systems Plan covers 17 built-in systems, including toilets, air conditioners, and doorbells. The Complete Home Plan combines those two plans and adds homeowners insurance deductible reimbursement up to $500.
Cinch Home Services offers a few add-on options, including: Pool (heater included), spa (heater included), pool with spa (heater included), septic tank/pumping, well pump, and the Premier Upgrade Package
The Premier Upgrade Package allows customers to file up to two $1,000 claims a year for costs associated with debris removal, permits, and code upgrades.
Cinch Home Services charges a flexible service call fee, which allows customers to choose from a service call fee between $100 and $150.
Here’s a monthly breakdown of each plan:
- Appliances Plan: $39.99–$49.99 per month
- Built-in Systems Plan: $44.99–$65.99 per month
- Complete Home Plan: $54.99–$66.99 per month
Learn more: Cinch Home Services Review
The This Old House Reviews Team recommends American Home Shield, First American Home Warranty, or The Home Service Club for comprehensive home protection. Before selecting a provider and buying a home warranty, we suggest getting quotes from all five companies so that you can determine which home warranty company fits your budget and home protection needs.
Frequently Asked Questions About Washington Home Warranties
Who needs a Washington home warranty?
Home warranties can be worthwhile for Washington homeowners, real estate agents, home sellers, and home buyers who want to protect major systems and appliances in their home and avoid paying unexpected repair or replacement costs.
What is the best home warranty in Washington?
We believe American Home Shield is the best overall home warranty in Washington. With the ability to customize your own coverage and choose your own service fee to fit your monthly budget, AHS offers some of the most comprehensive coverage in the industry. The two other providers listed are great for people who are looking for other types of coverage or cheaper alternatives.
How much does a home warranty cost in Washington?
A home warranty in Washington depends on the provider and plan you select. On average, a home warranty costs between $300 and $600 a year, with an additional $75 to $125 for each service call. All companies recommended in this article offer plans within this price range.
Our Home Warranty Review Methodology: How We Chose The Best Home Warranty Companies
The This Old House Reviews Team is committed to providing comprehensive and unbiased reviews to our readers. This means earning your trust through transparency and having the data to back up our ratings and recommendations. With that in mind, we spent time creating an objective rating system to score each home warranty company. Here’s what that review process looks like:
- We call every home warranty provider, talking to sales agents and company representatives. We get quotes, ask questions, and fully understand the protection plan offerings.
- We test the customer service, including factors such as wait times, friendliness, and problem-solving ability.
- We analyze the sample contracts from each brand we review. This allows us to break down the industry jargon and see what is and isn’t covered so we can give readers straightforward information.
- We update all of this information on a continuous basis, storing it in a proprietary database that allows us to compare dozens of home warranty companies against each other.
With all of that data, we created a rating system to score each home warranty company. Our rating system is a weighted, 100-point scale on the following factors:
- Plan options (25): Every home and every family needs the right home warranty plan for them. Providers with more options and more flexibility were rated higher than those without.
- Coverage specifics (5): What does each plan and each provider cover? The more covered by the provider in their basic plans, the higher the score.
- Pricing (25): Both the monthly fee and the service fee play an important role in the selection process.
- Trustworthiness (25): There are a number of home warranty companies that aren’t reputable and don’t follow through on their agreements. We gauged trustworthiness based on customer feedback from the BBB.
- State availability (5): Where you live plays a role in the options you have for a home warranty. Companies scored higher if they covered more states than their competitors.
- Customer service (10): This factor is based on our own research from calling providers, as well as their guarantees for responding to claims.
- Additional benefits (5): Some home warranty companies offer special promotions or will cover items in their plans that are usually considered optional coverage for most companies. Home warranty companies that offer these types of benefits were scored higher than competitors that didn’t.
In summary, the This Old House Review Team reviewed 45 companies to select this list of the seven best home warranty providers. To keep our ratings and data current, we have a full-time researcher who collects (and regularly updates) more than 100 specific data points from each company to help us compare them on key factors such as coverage, cost, service, and dependability.
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.