3 Best Solar Companies in Washington (2024)
Get a personalized solar estimate
Join the 10,601 people who have received a free, no-obligation quote in the last 30 days
Washington is a great state for solar energy despite its rainy weather. Companies in the area, such as IKEA, Walmart, and FedEx, all power their facilities using renewable energy, and more and more homeowners are making the switch.
We researched dozens of solar companies to determine the best options for Washington homeowners. We reviewed providers’ websites, warranties, financing options, services, pricing, and customer reviews. See which of the best solar companies made our list below.
Washington’s Top Solar Energy Companies
We researched numerous solar installers in Washington, including local companies such as Solara Solar and Sunergy Systems. These companies have good standing with the Better Business Bureau, but being that they’re smaller providers, we were unable to find enough positive customer reviews to evaluate service and confidently recommend them. The following three providers made our list.
Blue Raven Solar: Most Reputable
Blue Raven has an A+ rating from the BBB and 4.5 out of 5 stars from customers on the site. Customer reviews cite excellent service, and the provider has won several awards for its in-house team.
Learn more: Blue Raven Solar review
Tesla: Best Availability
Tesla is known for its innovative technology, and that extends to solar. The company’s solar panels, solar shingles, and Powerwall solar batteries are some of the most respected solar products on the market, and they’re available nationwide. The Tesla solar roof is an option for homeowners who want to use solar energy but don’t like the bulky look of traditional solar panels on their roof, as the solar roof looks like standard roof shingles.
Learn more: Tesla review
SunPower: Most Energy-Efficient
Going solar is all about minimizing your environmental impact and maximizing your savings on electricity bills. SunPower’s solar panels are some of the most energy-efficient in the industry. Customer reviews also point to great service and smooth installations.
Learn more: SunPower review
*All BBB ratings are current as of February 2024.
Solar Incentives in Washington
The state of Washington offers solar incentives for homeowners to help them save money on a new solar system.
- The Renewable Energy Incentive Program: This program provides incentive payments for renewable energy systems owned by residential and commercial utility customers, as well as community solar installations. Find more information at WSU Energy Program.
- Sales tax exemption: Washington will waive sales tax on solar equipment and installation through 2029. You can learn more about this through the Washington Department of Revenue.
- Net metering: The best solar panels produce more energy than your home needs. Net metering programs allow you to sell this excess energy to your utility company for credits on your electric bill.
- Federal solar tax credit: The federal tax credit began in 2005 and has been extended multiple times to allow homeowners. It currently allows homeowners to save 30% on the cost of their solar panel system. This applies to customers who purchase their systems in full or take out a loan; lease and power purchase agreement (PPA) customers are disqualified.
What To Look For in a Solar Company
Don’t commit to the first solar company you find. Shop around to see which provider has the best products, services, and pricing for your needs. Here’s what we recommend looking for when comparing solar installation companies.
Some solar panel companies have in-house installation services, whereas others outsource the installation to third parties. In-house installation is preferable because it guarantees you a better warranty. Also, check to see if the company has a mobile app for convenient service requests and system monitoring or if they provide remote system monitoring to help you keep track of your panels’ performance. Some companies partner with third parties to handle common needs that go along with installing solar panels, such as roof repair and replacement or pest control.
Most providers offer at least one of these warranty types:
- Manufacturer’s warranty: Sometimes called a product warranty, this protects the individual solar system components in case of defects.
- Workmanship warranty: Workmanship warranties cover installation in case of poor workmanship or faulty installation materials.
- Performance guarantee: A power production guarantee certifies the solar energy system’s output as outlined in your contract.
We recommend looking for 25-year warranties in each of these cases, though some providers limit their workmanship warranty to 10 years. Opt for a company that provides warranties on both its products and workmanship.
Companies will offer all or some of the following solar financing options:
- Full purchase: This is the best option if you can afford a large, up-front investment. You’ll avoid paying interest fees, get full system ownership, and qualify for solar incentives.
- Loan: Solar loans are a good financing option if you prefer to make monthly payments but still want to eventually own your solar system. You’ll still benefit from energy savings and solar incentives.
- Lease: Solar leases don’t require money down and only involve monthly payments, but you won’t own your system or receive solar tax credits.
- Power purchase agreement: PPAs involve making monthly payments based on the energy your system generates. As with a lease, you won’t own your system or qualify for incentives.
We generally don’t recommend solar leases or PPAs, as they negatively impact your return on investment (ROI). Talk to your installer about the best financing options for your budget.
You want a solar provider that’s helpful during the buying and installation process as well as after installation. Call to speak with a representative a couple of times before deciding on a provider to gauge how courteous and knowledgeable the support team is, or if anyone even answers. You can also try emailing or using the site’s online chat feature to see how responsive the company is to customers. Ask about ongoing customer support, such as what to do if you have a service need after installation.
How To Get a Solar Quote in Washington
Getting a solar quote is easy. You can often do this online by following these steps:
- Click the Get a Quote button on the provider’s website. This is usually in the top-right corner of the homepage. If not, it may be at the bottom of the site.
- Fill out the required information. Most companies ask for basic contact information, home size, roof pitch, property type, and the solar equipment you’re interested in.
- You’ll receive your quote quickly either on the website or by email.
You can also call the company to answer these questions. We called SunPower and got an estimate within 10 minutes.
- Bellevue Solar Companies
- Bellingham Solar Companies
- Everett Solar Companies
- Federal Way City Solar Companies
- Kennewick Solar Companies
- Kent Solar Companies
- Kirkland Solar Companies
- Renton Solar Companies
- Seattle Solar Companies
- Spokane Solar Companies
- Spokane Valley Solar Companies
- Tacoma Solar Companies
- Vancouver Solar Companies
- Yakima Solar Companies
We recommend any company on this list, but SunPower is our top pick for Washington. It has a positive reputation among customers, and you’ll get a high-quality solar panel system that’s extremely efficient and cuts down on your utility bill.
Do as much research as possible before deciding on a solar company. We recommend getting a quote from at least three installers to compare prices. We also suggest carefully reading each provider’s warranties and financing options, looking at customer reviews from the past year, and interacting with customer service. Choose a company that offers you the best panel performance, service, and pricing.
Other Washington Home Service Resources
FAQ About Solar Companies in WA
Is solar worth it in WA?
Solar is worth it in Washington, despite the rainy reputation of areas such as Seattle. Solar panel installation can help you save money on electricity or reduce your energy bills altogether, and the state has incentives to make going solar more affordable.
Who is the most reliable solar company?
We recommend SunPower as the most reliable solar company. SunPower has over 35 years of solar installation experience, positive customer reviews, and some of the most energy efficient solar panels available.
How many solar companies are in Washington state?
Washington has 148 solar companies as of December 2022.
What is the best solar company brand?
There are a few great companies in Washington to help you transition to clean energy. We recommend SunPower, Blue Raven Solar, and Tesla.
Our Rating Methodology
The This Old House Reviews Team is committed to providing comprehensive and unbiased reviews to our readers. After over a thousand hours of research on solar companies, interviews with experts, and common customer needs, we’ve created a detailed rating system for solar providers based on six factors:
- Solar equipment, installation, and services (25%)
- Warranty and performance guarantees (25%)
- Brand reputation and certifications (15%)
- Financing options (15%)
- Experience (10%)
- Availability (10%)
Total scores are divided by 20 for a final 5-point rating scale.
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews team at email@example.com.