In This Review: Our Take | State Availability | Solar Panel Options | Warranty Options | Installation | Momentum Solar Reviews | Mobile App | Payment Options | Our Conclusion | Company Overview | FAQs
Momentum Solar is an innovative provider in the solar industry, recognizing the benefit of providing customers with an interactive solar experience throughout the installation process. From educating consumers on available solar incentives to offering a mobile app that tracks system production, Momentum simplifies solar panel installation.
Read our review of Momentum Solar services and installation to decide if the company is the best solar provider for you.
Our Take on Momentum Solar
Momentum Solar turns solar installation into an experience, guiding consumers through every step of the process. Its mobile app and online blog keep customers informed, making the company a solid choice for those who want an active role in their solar system installation.
Pros and Cons of Momentum Solar
✔ Has a mobile app that helps customers monitor their system installation and status
✔ Offers customer rewards through the Momentum Family Referral Program
✔ Provides customers with an option of paying for their system online
✘ Doesn’t provide online quotes or pricing information
✘ Isn’t available nationwide
Momentum Solar Panel Options
Momentum Solar uses a variety of brands but installs only Tier 1 solar panels. This means that no matter what manufacturer Momentum uses for your solar panels, they have to have been producing solar panels for at least five years.
This also means that Momentum provides monocrystalline solar panels. These panels are currently the most effective in the industry. They have a longer lifespan, averaging between 25 and 40 years.
Momentum Solar works with Enphase Energy for its inverters. The company focuses mainly on microinverters, as these convert renewable energy directly at each panel rather than receive a complicated solar system that requires multiple junction boxes and inverters.
Momentum Solar Warranty Options
Momentum Solar provides further peace of mind through its warranty options. The company offers a 25-year warranty on its solar systems.This includes both a 25-year equipment warranty and 25-year workmanship warranty.
Momentum Solar Installation
Momentum Solar follows a six-step process to build and install your solar panels, including site assessment, design, permitting, installation, inspection, and energization.
- Site assessment—A Momentum solar specialist conducts a site assessment to make sure that your home can support solar energy. Typical items evaluated during a site assessment include your home’s annual energy usage and your roof’s slope, age, and condition.
- Design—Before installation, Momentum will design your system to maximize solar output and fit with your home’s infrastructure.
- Permitting—Before beginning construction, Momentum acquires the necessary permits and works with your municipality to ensure your solar project meets specific solar energy criteria.
- Installation—Once the paperwork and system design are complete, Momentum technicians will install your system.
- Inspection—To ensure your system meets local requirements, Momentum will schedule an inspection after installation is completed.
- Energization—For your system to begin producing solar energy, Momentum will schedule a local grid connection with your electric company. At this stage, your utility company will set up net metering, which allows you to receive credit for excess energy produced.
Note: For customers who want to save their excess solar energy, Momentum Solar offers solar battery installation.
Momentum Solar Reviews
Momentum Solar is accredited by the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and holds an A+ rating from the company.* Many reviewers praise Momentum for its quality of solar panels and its warranty options. More critical reviews point to difficulty in the scheduling process with Momentum and the company’s tendency to engage in spam calling. We recommend you have a flexible schedule if you are looking to have Momentum’s installation team come to your home.
Read a few Momentum Solar reviews from BBB users below to get an idea about the customer experience with the company:
“Now after several months after the entire installation[,] I can say that this company worked very hard in every single aspect of this project. From the salesperson to the installers to the electricians to the office personnel. I had moments of doubt, however[,] I realized that certain aspects of this experience are not the responsibility of this company. I would definitely recommend them to my family and friends.” — Juan M
“The technicians that installed the solar panels were fantastic. One of them did break our ladder to the attic and said they would come back to fix it. That never happened. I would recommend Momentum to anyone wanting to install solar.” — Ken L.
“At the time of installation scheduling, the fixed payment became a fixed rate, but a variable monthly payment. I said no. They called back asking if they could do something to make it right. I said probably not, but that I’d think about it and speak to them next week. Then, I get 3 calls over the next 3 days to schedule installation. Each call I say please don’t call me, I’ll call you…only to have them call me back again.” — JJ L.
“The system works great; however [,] when we had to replace the roof due to hail damage (no damage to the solar panels), the frustration and poor service began. My initial request was delayed to get my name switched over l, and then they refused to schedule removal for 4-6 weeks, after 10 weeks (roofing company calling often) they finally scheduled the removal 3 weeks later (14 weeks since my initial call).” — Eric W.
*Better Business Bureau information accurate as of May 2022.
Momentum Solar App
Momentum’s mobile app allows customers to stay up to date on their project and receive details on completed and future installation steps. In addition to progress alerts, the app delivers energy production data for customers to ensure efficiency and determine peak production hours.
The Momentum app offers a customer support function, providing direct access to email or phone support. The app also allows customers to schedule events, giving customers control over each step of the installation process.
In addition to Momentum’s solar app, the company’s microinverter supplier, Enphase, offers complimentary monitoring software that gives customers more advanced metrics on their system. Customers can analyze system performance against weather data, verify system health, and share metrics on social media.
Momentum Solar Payment Options
Momentum Solar offers customers a variety of financing plans, including a solar lease, loan, and Power Purchase Agreement (PPA).
- Solar loan—Solar loans work similarly to a home or auto loan, with customers paying a monthly fee to own their panels and benefiting from solar incentives.
- Solar lease—Solar lease customers benefit from solar energy without owning the panels by paying a fixed monthly rate with little to no upfront costs.
- PPA—With a PPA, customers pay a monthly fee based on the amount of energy their leased solar panels produce. At the end of a PPA, customers can remove or purchase the system.
Customers who own their solar panels can take advantage of a 30% federal tax credit on the cost of their solar panel system installation. In addition to a federal tax credit, some states will offer their rebates to solar customers.
As one of the fastest-growing solar companies, Momentum offers customers a detailed and modern approach to solar installation with a focus on application-based customer service.
Although some customers expressed concerns over Momentum’s scheduling and spam calls, the company provides customers with an in-depth solar panel installation process and available customer support. Momentum Solar acts as a great company for those new to solar power to help them lower their electric bill.
Use the comparison tool below to get quotes from Momentum and other providers near you:
Compare Momentum Solar to Other Solar Providers
|Provider||Momentum Solar||Sunrun||ADT Solar (formerly Sunpro Solar)|
|Get a free estimate||momentumsolar.com||Not available through This Old House||Not available through This Old House|
|Solar services||Solar panel and battery back-up installation||Solar panel and battery backup sales and installation||Solar panel and battery back-up installation|
|Cost||N/A||As little as $6 for the first six months||N/A|
|Service areas||California, Connecticut, Florida, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Texas||Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Hawaii, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Pennsylvania, Puerto Rico, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Washington D.C., Wisconsin||Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Kansas, Louisiana, Missouri, Mississippi, New Mexico, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas|
|Warranty length||Life of the service agreement (20-25 years)||10–25 years||25-year power production, panel, inverter, and labor warranty|
|Payment options||Buy, finance, lease, power purchase agreement||Buy, finance, lease, power purchase agreement||Buy, finance, lease|
Momentum Solar Overview
- Company name: Momentum Solar
- Company type: Private
- CEO: Arthur Souritzidis
- Years in business: 10
- Address: 3096 Hamilton Boulevard, South Plainfield, NJ 07080
- Phone: 1-888-666-36886
- Website: https://www.momentumsolar.com/
Frequently Asked Questions About Momentum Solar
Our Rating Methodology
The This Old House Reviews Team is committed to providing comprehensive and unbiased reviews to our readers. This means earning your trust through transparent reviews and having the data to back up our ratings and recommendations. Our rating system for solar companies is on a 100-point scale based on five factors:
- Payment options (40 points): Options include purchase, loan, lease, and Power Purchase Agreements (PPAs). Companies receive points for each of those four options it provides.
- Solar services (30 points): Does the company provide in-house installation of solar panels and battery backups? Can the company also monitor energy production and perform energy-efficiency audits to ensure system performance. The more options available, the higher the score.
- Warranty options (10 points): The success of a residential solar system depends on the workmanship, performance guarantees, and length of product coverage. We score companies based on the number of warranty options available. The more warranties a company offers, the higher the score it receives.
- State Availability (10 points): We award the most points to companies with the broadest service area and state availability.
- Reputation (10 points): We factor in how the Business Better Bureau (BBB) scores each company. We deduct points for any alerts or pending lawsuits.
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at email@example.com.