This Old House Rating: 9 / 10
Canary believes seeing what’s happening inside your home is the most important part of a home security system. That’s why each product or security package is equipped with an intelligent video camera that alerts you to activity inside the home, records video, and automatically adjusts security modes based on home activity.
Along with video-centered security solutions, Canary devices monitor your home’s temperature, humidity, and air quality, notifying you of significant changes within your home’s environment. In this Canary home security review, we examine the company’s security devices, pricing, and customer service, helping you determine if this is the best home security company for you.
Our Take on Canary Home Security
We rated Canary home security a 9 out of 10 and identified it as the Best Security System for Two-Way Audio. The system seamlessly integrates with your smartphone, and its premium service allows you to easily monitor and communicate with anyone in your home.
Pros and Cons of Canary Home Security
|✔ Cameras have night vision capabilities||✘ Doesn’t offer professional monitoring services|
|✔ Alarm modes automatically change based on home activity||✘ Doesn't offer window or door sensors|
|✔ Users can receive two-way communication with Canary Premium Service||✘ Can only access one day of video history with the free plan|
|✔ Devices are free, so customers only pay a monthly service fee||-|
Canary Home Security Equipment & Packages
Canary offers customers a wide selection of products to purchase so that they can choose how to secure their home. From indoor surveillance to outdoor accessories, here’s the equipment available through Canary home security.
Canary Home Security Equipment Comparison
|Metric||Canary View||Canary Pro||Canary Flex|
|Metric||Canary View||Canary Pro||Canary Flex|
|Best For||Securing Indoor Areas||Monitoring Air Quality||Securing Outdoor Areas|
|90 Decibel Siren?||✘||✔||✘|
|Temperature, humidity, and air monitoring?||✘||✔||✘|
|Camera||HD Camera with 1080p image sensor||HD Camera with 1080p image sensor||HD Camera with 1080p image sensor|
|Field of View||147° wide-angle lens||147° wide-angle lens||116° wide-angle lens|
|Wi-Fi||2.4GHz Wi-Fi||2.4GHz Wi-Fi||Dual-band Wi-Fi|
Here is a breakdown of Canary’s equipment:
- Canary View: The Canary View provides customers with 1080p HD video; however, it doesn’t come with the siren or home air quality monitoring like the Canary Pro. It does give customers access to 30-day video history, two-way communication, and unlimited video downloads when you purchase the Canary Premium Service.
- Canary Pro: The Canary Pro gives customers the same high-quality footage as the View edition, with clear footage of your home’s interior. It comes equipped with a 90-decibel siren and constantly adapts, automatically arming your system when you’re away and detecting unusual activity in your home. It also monitors air quality, humidity, and temperature and notifies you of smoke or carbon monoxide within the home. When you purchase a one- or two-year Canary Premium Service subscription, you’ll receive access to two-way communication and video history for 30 days.
- Canary Flex: The Canary Flex is a small, versatile camera capable of surveilling indoor and outdoor areas. The camera is waterproof and can withstand temperatures between -4 and 113°F. Like the Pro and View indoor home security cameras, the Canary Flex comes with two-way communication when you purchase the Canary Premium Service, making the small camera great for warding off intruders outside or monitoring a nursery within the home.
- Secure, Twist, and Stake Mount: Canary offers three different mounts for the Canary Flex, giving you the ability to place your camera in almost any location. The Secure mount attaches to any wall or surface and contains a cylindrical ball joint that allows the camera to move freely in any direction. The Twist mount uses a flexible rod to wrap around surfaces inside and outside. The Stake mount is designed to stick into your pots, garden beds, or yard, giving a discrete look into your outside areas.
Canary Home Security Packages
|Package Name||Best For||What's Included|
|Package Name||Best For||What's Included|
|Starter Pack||Securing one large room or outdoor area||Canary Pro (1) and Canary Flex (1)|
|Total Home Pack||Securing 2 large rooms or outdoor areas||Canary Pro (1) and Canary Flex (2)|
|Outdoor Security Pack||Securing 2 outdoor areas||Canary Flex (2) and Secure Mount (1)|
While the majority of Canary home security devices are purchased individually, the company does package a few products together, offering customers multiple devices that can secure a larger area of the home. Canary’s three security packages include the Starter Pack, Total Home Pack, and Outdoor Security Pack.
- Starter Pack: The Starter Pack bundles a Canary Pro and Canary Flex, allowing customers to secure an area like a large living room or outdoor area. The Starter Pack includes 1 Canary Pro and 1 Canary Flex.
- Total Home Pack: The Total Home Pack includes everything from the Starter Pack but includes one more Canary Flex, securing an additional area within or around your home. The Total Home Pack includes 1 Canary Pro and 2 Canary Flex.
- Outdoor Security Pack: The Outdoor Security Pack allows you to secure two of your home’s outdoor areas and is bundled with a wall mount for customized installation. The Outdoor Security Pack includes 2 Canary Flex and a secure mount.
Canary Home Security Premium Service Details
Canary provides a Premium Service with each of its cameras and bundles. Premium Service includes the following advantages:
- 24/7 Watch Live
- Personal Safety Button
- Full-length Video Clips
- 30-Day Video History
- Two-way Talk
- Incident Support
- Extended 2-Year Warranty
- Unlimited Video Downloads
- Activity Zone Masking
- Person Detection
- One-tap to Police
- Desktop Streaming
Canary Home Security Warranties
Canary offers U.S. customers and European customers a two-year limited warranty. The limited warranty only applies to hardware products manufactured by or for Canary, not consumable products such as batteries.
Canary also offers a 60-day free trial for all products sold on their website, allowing you to return the product if you’re not satisfied at no cost to you.
Canary Home Security Pricing
Each Canary home security camera is bundled with Premium Service, meaning that there is no separate cost for the equipment. Premium Service for each camera type is charged monthly.
- Canary View + Premium Service: $9.99/month
- Canary Pro + Premium Service: $12.99/month
- Canary Flex + Premium Service: $14.99/month
Canary Home Security Customer Service
To help customers better understand their system, Canary has a help center where users can input concerns, browse frequently asked questions, and get information on Canary Premium Service membership. If users can’t find an answer, Canary offers customer service via SMS text or online chat every week from 8am to 5pm EST.
Canary Home Security Reviews
Canary is accredited by the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and holds an F rating with the BBB. This rating comes from complaints the company has received about camera malfunctions, products unexpectedly going offline, and payment concerns.
Here’s one Canary home security review from a dissatisfied customer:
“They autodraft without your knowledge, give no way to cancel their service, and make it impossible to get a hold of them. Horrible company and customer service, very deceptive business practices.” — Tim C. via BBB on 1/3/2020
The This Old House Reviews Team rated Canary home security a 9 out of 10 and considers it the Best Security System for Two-Way Audio. Canary is for homeowners who are looking for video surveillance of specific areas within the home along with communication capabilities. While Canary offers high definition video and an option to watch live footage via its app, the camera can only secure one area at a time. It also holds a low BBB rating.
Although the company has a couple of drawbacks, we recommend Canary for those seeking an easy-to-install system with night vision and premium benefits like two-way communication, unlimited video downloads and a one-tap option to contact police. View all of the benefits and determine if Canary is right for you.
If you’re not sure whether Canary is right for you, see how the company stacks up against other top-rated security companies in the industry.
Canary Home Security vs. Competitors
|View Plans||View Plans||View Plans||View Plans|
|Monthly Monitoring Cost||$6.00-$20.00||$40+||$36.99+|
|Contract Required?||No contract||No contract||36 month contract|
|Professional Installation||✔||Pricing by quote||$99+|
|Mobile App Access||✔||✔||✔|
|Smart Home Compatibility||✔||✔||✔|
|Video Surveillance||✔||With camera purchase||✔|
|Video Streaming Capability||✔||With camera purchase||✔|
|Money-Back Guarantee||✘||Warranty only||6 months (installation and monitoring fees)*|
More Reviews on Home Security Companies
- ADT Home Security Review
- Vivint Home Security Review
- Alder Home Security Review
- SimpliSafe Home Security Review
- Frontpoint Home Security Review
- Abode Home Security Review
- Nest Home Security Review
Our Rating Methodology
The This Old House Reviews Team is committed to providing comprehensive and unbiased reviews to our readers. This means earning your trust through transparent reviews and having the data to back up our ratings and recommendations. Our rating system for home security providers is on a 100-point scale based on 10 factors:
- Number of systems (5)
- Special features (10)
- Installation options (5)
- Connectivity and smart home automation (15)
- Pricing (15)
- Contract period (5)
- Warranty (15)
- Trial period (15)
- Usability (5)
- Trustworthiness (10)
Our team reviewed 32 companies and spent 744 hours researching and testing out products to help us compare home security systems on key factors such as package options, cost, reliability, and ease of use. Read more on our methodology here.
Frequently Asked Questions about Canary Home Security
Does Canary have a money-back guarantee?
Yes, if you’re unsatisfied with your purchase of any Canary product, you can return it within 60 days at no charge.
Does Canary come with home automation?
Canary products are compatible with Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant. You can use a voice assistant to learn the temperature and humidity within your home, ask who is at your front door, or check how much battery is left in your device.
Can I use Canary without monitoring?
Yes, Canary can only be self-monitored through their application.
How Does Canary Work?
Get started with your Canary home security plan by purchasing one of their products that you will install yourself—typically by plugging it in or giving it batteries. After installation, you monitor your own system through the Canary app, which gives you live video feed, direct emergency contact, and the option to trigger your device’s siren.
With Canary, there’s no complicated installation or hidden fees. A one-time purchase is made for your selected home security device and after that, you can decide if you want to purchase Canary’s premium service, which gives you access to two-way communication through devices and video storage.
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.