Super Home Warranty Pros and Cons
Compare the benefits and drawbacks to investing in a Super Home Warranty plan.
Pros and Cons
|Doesn’t have a cap for the number of service appointments you can schedule||Only available in Arizona, Texas, Illinois, Maryland, and Washington D.C.|
|Covers pre-existing conditions||Doesn’t provide 24/7 customer service|
|Provides protection for home systems and appliances and offers home maintenance services|
Super Home Warranty Plans and Coverage
This subscription-based, technology-driven service provides three plan levels: Secure, Signature, and Lux. All three plans include coverage for major home systems and appliances and provide unlimited access to home service technicians who can assist with breakdowns, repairs, and replacements.
With a Secure plan, customers receive coverage for the following items:
- Built-in microwave
- Garbage disposal
- Trash compactor
- Range exhaust fan
- Air conditioning
- Heating system/heat pump
- Interior plumbing
- Plumbing stoppages
- Water heater
- Interior electrical
- Ceiling fans
- Central vacuum
- Garage door openers
- Sprinkler system and timer
- Refrigerator with ice maker and dispenser
- Clothes washer
- Clothes dryer
Every item under the Secure Plan is covered by the Signature Plan. Customers will also receive the “It’s Covered Upgrade” under the Signature Plan, which includes coverage for the following items:
- Heating: registers and grills
- Indoor plumbing: faucets and shower heads, pressure regulators, instant hot water dispensers, sewage ejectors, toilets of like quality, and costs to locate
- Water heater: expansion tanks and problems caused by sediment
- Indoor electrical system: built-in lighting fixtures, smoke detectors, and doorbells
- Range/cooktop/oven: rotisseries, racks, handles, knobs, and dials
- Lining dishwasher: racks, rollers, and baskets
- Microwave oven: door glass, interior linings, and shelves
- Garage door: springs, hinges, and remote transmitters
- Permits and code upgrades
- Refrigerant recapture and disposal
- Equipment disposal
- Structural modifications (to accomodate replacement equipment)
- Enhanced stoppage coverage
This is the most comprehensive coverage option for Super Home Warranty customers. It covers everything in the Secure and Signature plans, plus the following items:
- Brand-for-brand appliance upgrade
- Outdoor plumbing
- Smart home devices
- Washing and cooling drawers
- Gas fireplaces and outdoor gras and fire pots/pits
- Landscape lighting
- Expanded coverage limits
Optional Add-On Coverage
The best home warranty providers offer add-on coverage, giving you more protection on home systems and appliances. With Super, you have the option of adding the following items to any plan:
- Brand-for-brand appliance coverage (covered by Lux)
- Outdoor plumbing (covered by Lux)
- Smart home devices
- HVAC equipment incompatibility coverage
- Additional refrigerator units
- Built-in pool and spa
- Salt water pool and spa
- Additional pool pumps
- Water softener
- Guest house
- Septic system
- Well pump
Note: The coverage cap limit will depend on the item you cover and your chosen home warranty plan. Most appliances under the Secure plan are covered up to $3,000, whereas Lux plans cover up to $10,000 on appliances.
Super Maintenance Services
In addition to home warranty coverage, Super provides maintenance services that include pre-season HVAC tune-ups, pest control, lawn pre-emergent service, carpet cleaning, ceiling fan and light fixture maintenance, dryer vent cleaning installation, weed treatment, window cleaning, termite treatment, re-keying, and lawn fertilization.
Super Home Warranty Pricing
Unlike traditional home warranty companies, Super charges a subscription fee. You can pay on a monthly basis or pay for an annual subscription (which lowers your monthly fee). Costs vary based on your location, the size of your home, and the plan you choose, so we recommend getting a quote from Super for more accurate pricing.
For a 1,500- to 5,000-square-foot home in Washington D.C., Secure plans start at $64 per month ($729 per year), Signature plans start at $75 per month ($869 per year), and Lux plans start at $119 per month ($1,399 per year). These costs are quite high, especially when you compare them to the average home warranty cost, which ranges between $25 to $50 per month.
Note: Service call fees are not included in the monthly premium. Super’s per-visit service call fee is $75, which is in line with the industry average.
Super Home Warranty Claims Process
Your care and repair coverage goes into effect within 15 days of purchase. You can submit a service request through the website, mobile app, or email or call Super at 844-99-SUPER. The company will then work with a technician in their network to schedule an at-home visit.
Customer service is not available 24/7, unlike most home warranty companies. Super’s customer service hours are 9:00 am to 9:00 pm Monday through Friday, 9:00 am to 7:00 pm on Saturdays, and 10:00 am to 7:00 pm on Sundays.
Repair services are typically scheduled during regular business hours, between Monday and Friday, with the exception of holidays.
Super Home Warranty Reviews
Super holds a B rating from the Better Business Bureau (BBB). As of April 2020, there are 30 customer reviews, with a mix of them being positive and negative. Here are a few BBB reviewsfrom Super customers.
“Love the easy-to-use technology combined with the ability to reach a human when needed.”— Kristin B. on 3/26/2020
“I have dealt with about 5 other home warranty companies in the past. Super was the only one that solved issues the first time someone was out. Their concierge also has worked with my tenants to fix handyman issues, and I just got a new fridge. Would not use ANY other home warranty company. Stick to Super.” Jon on 2/6/2020
“I am a contractor and Super refused to pay our fee after the job was accepted. And asking for a w9 and we’re not even in the network.” — Jose M. on 3/17/2020
The This Old House Reviews Team rated Super Home Warranty an 8.5/10. There are many benefits to choosing Super, including:
- An easy-to-use platform available on all smart devices
- Convenience with the availability to track expenses, services, etc.
- Quick coverage, available 15 days sooner than most home warranty agreements
- Concierge services, as well as maintenance services that include air filter changes, smoke detector tests, chimney cleaning, etc.
While there are perks to choosing Super for home warranty coverage, there are some drawbacks:
- Limited nationwide coverage
- Expensive plans ($64–$119 a month) compared to other home warranty companies that charge $25–$50 a month
Since Super doesn’t provide nationwide coverage and its plans are expensive, we recommend going with a home warranty provider that offers more comprehensive coverage at an affordable price.
Our Preferred Provider: American Home Shield
American Home Shield (AHS) has been in business since 1971 and provides customers with benefits, such as:
- Home warranty coverage in every state except for Alaska
- Three plan options, so you can cover the items and systems most important to you
- Speedy customer service response time (within 24 hours 98% of the time)
- Choice between a $75, $100, or $125 service fee, with an option to lower the monthly payment with a higher deductible
- A network of 15,000 professional, vetted contractors
- Thirty-day workmanship guarantee
In sum, American Home Shield is a great home warranty provider for those who want flexible plans, extensive coverage, and 24/7 customer service.
- Company name: Super Home Warranty
- CEO: Jorey Ramer
- Years in business: 3 years
- Address: 120 2nd Street
- City/State: San Francisco, CA
- Zip code: 94105
- BBB rating: B
Frequently Asked Questions
Our Rating Methodology
The This Old House Reviews Team backs up our home warranty ratings and recommendations with a detailed rating methodology to objectively score each provider. We conduct research by speaking with company representatives, requesting quotes, analyzing sample contracts from each company, and conducting focus groups and consumer surveys. We then score each provider against our review standards for coverage, value, trustworthiness and transparency, availability, and customer service to arrive at a final score out of 100.
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.