A home warranty allows you to enjoy your home without worrying about unexpected breakdowns and the associated repair or replacement costs. In exchange for a monthly or annual premium and a small service fee, your provider will handle repairs and replacements for covered items in your contract.
The This Old House Reviews Team has compiled information on the best home warranty companies in Minnesota, comparing plans, pricing, and customer reviews, to help make choosing a provider easier for you. Keep reading to learn more.
Minnesota’s Top 3 Home Warranty Companies
The best home warranty companies in Minnesota provide comprehensive coverage, offer affordable payment options, and have excellent customer service teams to field service requests 24 hours a day, seven days a week. The highest rated home warranty companies in MN include:
- American Home Shield: Our Overall Top Pick
- Liberty Home Guard: Most Responsive
- Select Home Warranty: Best Value
Here’s more detail on our top picks for Minnesota homeowners.
American Home Shield
American Home Shield (AHS) is the leading home warranty provider for MN residents, with over 45 years of industry experience. AHS has double the number of plans as the other two providers in this review, which gives customers a wide range of coverage options to choose from.
American Home Shield offers several benefits to customers:
- Covers 49 states, excluding Alaska
- No limit on the number of repairs allowed during the contract period
- 30-day workmanship guarantee
- High coverage caps for home appliances and systems
Plans & Pricing
Here are the different plans offered by American Home Shield:
- ShieldSilver™: Covers home systems, such as your electrical and plumbing system
- ShieldGold™: Covers all of the ShieldSilver plan and adds protection for kitchen and laundry appliances
- ShieldPlatinum™: Protects all 23 items covered by the ShieldGold plan and adds roof leak coverage and increases coverage caps
When signing up for an American Home Shield plan, you’ll choose a service fee of $75, $100, or $125. The lower the service fee you select, the higher your monthly premium.
Here’s a breakdown of AHS plan pricing with a $75 service fee:
- ShieldSilver™: $54.99 per month
- ShieldGold™: $64.99 per month
- ShieldPlatinum™: $79.99 per month
Learn more: American Home Shield Review
Liberty Home Guard
Liberty Home Guard is a great choice for homeowners in search of a responsive claims process, accessible customer service, and extensive add-on coverage options.
Liberty Home Guard extends the following benefits to its customers:
- Discounted service fees for multi-year plans
- 30 add-on options, including pest control
- Live chat customer support on the company website
Plans & Pricing
Liberty Home Guard offers three standard plan options. The details of each are outlined below:
- Appliance Guard: Covers your laundry machines, refrigerator, cooktop, range/oven/stove, and seven other appliances
- Systems Guard: Covers air conditioning, heating, ductwork, plumbing, electrical, and water heaters
- Total Home Guard: Covers everything outlined in the appliance and systems plans
The $80 service call fee will be charged per claim filed, though there may be discounts for multi-year plans.
Here’s a breakdown of the monthly fee structure:
- Appliance Guard: $44.99 per month
- Systems Guard: $49.99 per month
- Total Home Guard: $54.99 per month
Learn more: Liberty Home Guard Review
Select Home Warranty
Select Home Warranty is another attractive option for Minnesota homeowners who are both budget-conscious and concerned about possible roof leaks in the future. All of Select’s plans are under $50 in monthly fees and offer roof-leak coverage as a free add-on.
Select Home Warranty offers several benefits to its customers including:
- Free roof-leak coverage
- All plans are under $50 in monthly fees
- Seasonal promotions and discounts available
Plans & Pricing
Select Home Warranty offers three plans. The two basic plans are available at the same price point, but they are exclusive to either systems or appliance coverage. The comprehensive plan covers both for a slightly higher price.
- Bronze Care: Covers eight appliances, including your cooktop, stove/oven, and garbage disposal
- Gold Care: Covers air conditioning, ductwork, electrical system, heating, plumbing system, and water heater
- Platinum Care: Covers all items covered by the two basic plans
Select Home Warranty’s service fee is $75, on par with the industry average.
Here’s a breakdown of Select’s pricing structure:
- Bronze Care: $41 per month
- Gold Care: $41 per month
- Platinum Care: $47 per month
Learn more: Select Home Warranty Review
Whether you live in the Twin Cities or Coon Rapids, investing in a home warranty can protect you if a system or appliance unexpectedly breaks down. Before buying a MN home warranty, we recommend getting a quote from all three companies listed in this review so that you can compare price estimates and choose the coverage that best fits your budget.
Frequently Asked Questions
Our Rating Methodology
The This Old House Reviews Team is committed to providing comprehensive and unbiased reviews to our readers, and we aim to provide transparency in our review standards and research process.
Our research process includes speaking with representatives from more than 40 home warranty providers, requesting quotes, and asking clarifying questions to gain insight into each provider’s benefits and downsides. We also analyze sample contracts from each company to understand specific coverage terms.
To rate companies, we apply the data we have gathered to our review standards. These standards are on a 100-point scoring system, which is detailed below:
- Coverage (35 points): Providers are scored based on breadth and depth of coverage. We focused on key home systems (HVAC, plumbing, and electrical), essential appliances (refrigerator, ovens, and laundry machines), and unique coverage items (such as roof-leak coverage and code violation allowances). Coverage scores are weighted by taking into account coverage caps and other limiting factors, meaning providers with greater range of coverage and higher coverage caps score the highest.
- Value (30 points): A company’s plan value is a reflection of how well it serves the customer in comparison to what the customer pays for the policy. We accounted for monthly costs, service call fees, and cost flexibility (such as customizable service call fees, discounts, and multi-year policies).
- Trustworthiness and Transparency (21 points): Trustworthiness and transparency are a reflection of how well the provider considers the customer’s interests. We scored items such as the length of workmanship guarantees, online availability of a sample contract, policy change flexibility, and ease of cancellation. Additionally, we scored items that reflect industry reputation and customer satisfaction, including analyzing brand reputation across the Better Business Bureau and third-party customer review aggregators.
- Availability and Service (14 points): Quality of customer service is key to customer satisfaction. We dug into each provider’s guaranteed response times, claims processes, service flexibility, emergency availability, and more.
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.