A home warranty allows you to enjoy your home without worrying about unexpected breakdowns and the associated repair or replacement costs. In exchange for a monthly or annual premium and a small service fee, your provider will handle repairs and replacements for covered items in your contract.
The This Old House Reviews Team reviewed the best home warranty companies in the nation and selected our top choices for Minnesota. We compared plans, pricing, and customer reviews, to help you make the best purchasing decision.
Minnesota’s Top 3 Home Warranty Companies
The best home warranty companies in Minnesota provide comprehensive coverage, offer affordable payment options, and have excellent customer service teams to answer service requests 24/7. The highest rated Minnesota home warranty companies include:
- Liberty Home Guard: Best Customer Ratings
- American Home Shield: Best Coverage Caps
- Select Home Warranty: Best Value
Liberty Home Guard
Liberty Home Guard (LHG) is our top choice for Minnesota homeowners. LHG provides a responsive claims process, accessible customer service, and extensive add-on coverage options. On top of solid customer service, LHG includes a $2,000 coverage cap per covered system, appliance, and optional add-on. LHG also provides a 60-day workmanship guarantee for each completed home repair.
Liberty Home Guard extends the following benefits to its customers:
- Discounted service fees for multi-year plans
- Over 30 add-on options, including pest control and pro-series appliances
- Live chat customer support on the company website
Plans & Pricing
Liberty Home Guard offers three standard plan options:
- Appliance Guard: Covers your laundry machines, refrigerator, cooktop, range/oven/stove, and seven other appliances
- Systems Guard: Covers air conditioning, heating, ductwork, plumbing, electrical, and water heaters
- Total Home Guard: Covers everything outlined in the Appliance Guard and Systems Guard plans
LHG selects your service call fee, which ranges from $65 to $125, based on your home’s size, type, your location and plan selections.
Here’s a breakdown of LHG’s monthly fee structure:
- Appliance Guard: $49.99 per month
- Systems Guard: $54.99 per month
- Total Home Guard: $59.99 per month
Learn more: Liberty Home Guard Review
American Home Shield
American Home Shield (AHS) is a solid home warranty provider for Minnesota residents, with over 50 years of industry experience. AHS includes comprehensive coverage caps per covered item and it covers items with preexisting conditions. In addition, AHS covers rust, corrosion, sediment damage.
American Home Shield offers several benefits to customers:
- Covers 49 states, excluding Alaska
- No limit on the number of repairs allowed during the contract period
- 30-day workmanship guarantee
- Doesn’t require a home inspection before granting coverage
Plans & Pricing
Here are the different plans offered by American Home Shield:
- ShieldSilver™: Covers home systems, such as your electrical and plumbing system
- ShieldGold™: Covers all ShieldSilver items and adds protection for kitchen and laundry appliances
- ShieldPlatinum™: Protects all 23 items covered by the ShieldGold plan and adds roof leak coverage and increases coverage caps to $6,000 per item
When signing up for an American Home Shield plan, you’ll choose a service fee of $75, $100, or $125. The lower the service fee you select, the higher your monthly premium.
Here’s a breakdown of AHS plan pricing with a $75 service fee:
- ShieldSilver™: $54.99 per month
- ShieldGold™: $64.99 per month
- ShieldPlatinum™: $79.99 per month
Learn more: American Home Shield Review
Select Home Warranty
Select Home Warranty is another attractive option for Minnesota homeowners who are both budget-conscious and concerned about possible roof leaks in the future. All of Select’s plans are under $50 in monthly fees and offer roof-leak coverage as a free add-on.
Select Home Warranty offers several benefits to its customers including:
- Free roof-leak coverage
- All plans are under $50 in monthly fees
- Seasonal promotions and discounts available
Plans & Pricing
Select Home Warranty offers three plans. The two basic plans are available at the same price point, but they are exclusive to either systems or appliance coverage. The comprehensive plan covers both for a slightly higher price.
- Bronze Care: Covers eight appliances, including your cooktop, stove/oven, and garbage disposal
- Gold Care: Covers air conditioning, ductwork, electrical system, heating, plumbing system, and water heater
- Platinum Care: Covers all items covered by the two basic plans
Select Home Warranty’s service fee is $75, on par with the industry average.
Here’s a breakdown of Select’s pricing structure:
- Bronze Care: $41 per month
- Gold Care: $41 per month
- Platinum Care: $47 per month
Learn more: Select Home Warranty Review
Whether you live in the Twin Cities or Coon Rapids, investing in a home warranty can protect you if a system or appliance unexpectedly breaks down. Before buying a MN home warranty, we recommend getting a quote from all three companies listed in this review so that you can compare price estimates and choose the coverage that best fits your budget.
Frequently Asked Questions
Our Rating Methodology
The This Old House Reviews Team backs up our home warranty ratings and recommendations with a detailed rating methodology to objectively score each provider. We conduct research by speaking with company representatives, requesting quotes, analyzing sample contracts from each company, and conducting focus groups and consumer surveys. We then score each provider against our review standards for coverage, value, trustworthiness and transparency, availability, and customer service to arrive at a final score out of 100.
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.