Illinois homeowners know better than most how to prepare for extreme weather conditions during the winter. But do you know that a home warranty is a great addition to your preparedness? A home warranty can act as a complement to your home insurance and provide peace of mind by ensuring that your household systems or appliances are repaired fast and at a reasonable price.
Finding a home warranty can be challenging, especially if you don’t know where to begin, so the This Old House Reviews Team is here to help you sift through the long list of potential providers and help you choose one that’s right for you and your home. You don’t have to be an industry expert to know the best home warranties when you stick with us.
Illinois’ Top 3 Home Warranty Companies
The highest-rated home warranty companies in Illinois include:
- American Home Shield: Our Overall Top Pick
- Liberty Home Guard: Most Responsive
- Select Home Warranty: Best Value
Below, we break down our top four home warranty providers for Illinois homeowners and discuss plan options, pricing, and benefits of each company.
American Home Shield
American Home Shield (AHS) is our top provider for Illinois homeowners. The company has thee plans to choose from—the ShieldSilver™, ShieldGold™, and ShieldPlatinum™ plans. Its coverage is extensive, providing protection for items damaged due to rust and corrosion as well as those with undetectable pre-existing conditions.
Pros and Cons
✔ Offers high coverage caps on systems and appliances
✔ Customers can request service 24 hours a day, seven days a week
✔ Has close to 50 years of industry experience and has served more than 1.8 million customers
✘ Has more expensive plans than some other top providers
✘ Not many options for add-on coverage
Plans and Pricing
As an AHS customer, you get to choose the service fee you want to pay. Your choices are $75, $100, and $125—the higher the service fee you pick, the lower your monthly premium.
Here’s what each plan’s monthly cost would be with a $75 service fee:
- ShieldSilver: $54.99 per month
- ShieldGold: $64.99 per month
- ShieldPlatinum: $79.99 per month
Learn more: American Home Shield Review
Liberty Home Guard
Liberty Home Guard (LHG) is another solid choice for Illinois homeowners. Although its plans are priced higher than some of its competitors, LHG’s policies are comprehensive and its large suite of add-on options make its coverage highly customizable. It also stands out by offering a live chat customer service through its website, which is a rare benefit in the home warranty industry.
Pros and Cons
✔ Offers a 60-day workmanship guarantee
✔ Extends up to 38 unique add-on options
✔ Provides live chat customer support
✘ Doesn’t provide transparency around service call fees
✘ Limits electrical and plumbing coverage to $500
Plans and Pricing
LHG offers three plan options: Appliance Guard, Systems Guard, and Total Home Guard. A service call fee between $65 and $125 will be assigned to your account based on your plan selection, add-ons, and location.
Here’s what these plans would cost you monthly:
- Appliance Guard: $69.99 per month
- Systems Guard: $74.99 per month
- Total Home Guard: $79.99 per month
For a free quote, call 866-452-9107 or use Liberty Home Guard’s simple tool.
Learn more: Liberty Home Guard Review
Select Home Warranty
Select Home Warranty offers three plans: Bronze Care, Gold Care, and Platinum Care. Bronze Care protects appliances, Gold Care protects systems, and Platinum Care covers both appliances and systems.
Pros and Cons
✔ Gives customers two months free when they sign up for coverage
✔ Offers free coverage on roof leaks
✔ Provides discounts for customers who purchase several years of protection
✘ Doesn’t have a mobile app
✘ Charges a $75 cancellation fee
Plans and Pricing
As one of the more affordable home warranty companies, all Select monthly premiums are below $40. Select’s service fee is lower than the industry average at $75 per service call.
Compare monthly plan pricing below:
- Bronze Care: $35.83 per month
- Gold Care: $35.83 per month
- Platinum Care: $37.50 per month
Learn more: Select Home Warranty Review
If you’re in the market for an Illinois home warranty, we recommend looking into American Home Shield, Liberty Home Guard, and Select Home Warranty. These picks provide comprehensive coverage at affordable price points and offer 24/7 customer service. We encourage you to get a quote from all four companies before making a purchase, since pricing can vary depending on your specific region and home’s square footage.
Frequently Asked Questions
Our Rating Methodology
The This Old House Reviews Team is committed to providing comprehensive and unbiased reviews to our readers, and we aim to provide transparency in our review standards and research process.
Our research process includes speaking with representatives from more than 40 home warranty providers, requesting quotes, and asking clarifying questions to gain insight into each provider’s benefits and downsides. We also analyze sample contracts from each company to understand specific coverage terms.
To rate companies, we apply the data we have gathered to our review standards. These standards are on a 100-point scoring system, which is detailed below:
- Coverage (35 points): Providers are scored based on breadth and depth of coverage. We focused on key home systems (HVAC, plumbing, and electrical), essential appliances (refrigerator, ovens, and laundry machines), and unique coverage items (such as roof-leak coverage and code violation allowances). Coverage scores are weighted by taking into account coverage caps and other limiting factors, meaning providers with greater range of coverage and higher coverage caps score the highest.
- Value (30 points): A company’s plan value is a reflection of how well it serves the customer in comparison to what the customer pays for the policy. We accounted for monthly costs, service call fees, and cost flexibility (such as customizable service call fees, discounts, and multi-year policies).
- Trustworthiness and Transparency (21 points): Trustworthiness and transparency are a reflection of how well the provider considers the customer’s interests. We scored items such as the length of workmanship guarantees, online availability of a sample contract, policy change flexibility, and ease of cancellation. Additionally, we scored items that reflect industry reputation and customer satisfaction, including analyzing brand reputation across the Better Business Bureau and third-party customer review aggregators.
- Availability and Service (14 points): Quality of customer service is key to customer satisfaction. We dug into each provider’s guaranteed response times, claims processes, service flexibility, emergency availability, and more.
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at email@example.com.