Home>Discussions>BATHROOMS>water pressure in a house built in 1959
7 posts / 0 new
Last post
otto
water pressure in a house built in 1959

Hello, I have 3/4 inch galvanized pipe into my house, It goes into a T with a 3/4 and 1/2 and 1/2. One 1/2 copper then goes to a outside hose bib, the other 1/2 copper goes to kitchen sink and then to a soft water unit. From there it goes into a water heater. From the water heater out it separates to three sinks and two toilets, washer and bath, all on 1/2inch copper pipe. I want to get more volume/pressure to my bath. I will run 3/4 inch pex from the three way to the water heater. My question is, will I need to replace the 1/2 inch copper all the way to and including the bath/shower valve?

johnjh2o
Re: water pressure in a house built in 1959

There is a very good chance your problem is the 3/4" galvanized main. In time the inside diameter of galvanized pipe tends to close off.

dj1

First, replace your main line. From the meter in the street to the house I prefer 1" copper type L main line over 3/4" galvanized. Follow your local codes (if you need a pressure regulator, a relief valve, etc).

Second, as it enters the house, install a 1" T: on one side have a reducer to 1/2" (to the hose bib), and on the other side, continue with 1" that will have a second T: one side with a reducer to 3/4" (to the water heater). The other side continues with 1" and has a 1/2" reducer for each individual fixture. This will create a large main highway with a few off ramps kind of a setup.

Having so many fixtures on a 1/2" line can't work.

otto

Thank you for the information you both provided. I did not consider the main to the meter, I need to get bids to replace that.

Lawrenc

yes the better option would be only the replacement of the pipe as it would only sort out the problem

67drake
otto wrote:

Hello, I have 3/4 inch galvanized pipe into my house,

Agree with the others. That's the place to start.
I had house built in 1902 which had all galvanized pipe. My friend and I plumbed in all new copper. This helped the pressure somewhat,but it was still not great. A few years later I had a leak between the street and the house I had to get fixed. It was not cheap,but it about tripled my water pressure after the fix.

joechoniski

hi,

I have a house built in 1959, it has 2 wire romex either 12 or 14 gage wiring. I want to upgrade the wiring include a ground. I want to install a ground wire down from each outlet into the basement and connect them to copper pipes for grounding. 1- do I need a junction box where the wires are spliced together? 2 - what gage of wire is best to use for the ground? 3. I am using a single green protected wire. 4 - is there ar limit to how many outlets can be tied to the same ground? 5 - I will be replacing the outlets to the newer 3 prong units. The kitchen and bathrooms already have ground fault circuits. The wires are being brought up from the basement through a 3/4 inch hole to the box in the living room and hanging into the basement to be tied to the copper water lines, which are grounded. Any helpful hents?

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.