More in Siding

Deteriorating Siding

Q: "How do I replace my rotting siding?"


The T-111 siding on the back of my house comes down within one inch
of the concrete slab and is rotting and deteriorating to a point that it
must be replaced. Is there a flashing, a metal or plastic material, or a
method of repair I can use to prevent from deteriorating?
— Doug, Jacksonville, Florida


Tom Silva replies: Cut seven to nine inches off the bottom of the siding and slide a piece of metal flashing up under the siding. Then install a 2x8 or 2x10 board under the flashing and paint or stain it to match the rest
of the house. By taking these steps, you'll solve your current problem
and prevent future ones from happening.


TV Listings

Find TV Listing for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.