We understand that you want a breathtaking lawn, but you also probably do not have the time and energy to put in the work to have your lawn make your neighbors jealous. You might also lack expertise and products, but a professional lawn care service tackles all these issues for you. However, can you afford the routine maintenance, products, and services required to make your lawn shine?
The This Old House Reviews Team has analyzed and reviewed the best lawn care services in the United States. This process included observing the pricing of each provider. Read this guide on the average lawn care cost so you know what to expect when the time comes to get a quote.
Average Lawn Care Cost
Lawn care pricing varies depending on what services and treatments you add. Some lawn care plans have a starting cost of just $25 per month. The average lawn care cost is around $100–$200 per month. Services in the price might include lawn mowing services or weed control. Additional services may include a one-time payment in addition to this cost, such as lawn aeration for $250.
Overall, you save money by opting for DIY options like product subscription services like Lawn Bright. Still, the cost of having a lawn care professional treat your yard often yields better results for a more extended period.
Factors that Influence the Cost of a Lawn Care Service
Your final price of lawn maintenance services relies on several factors. A customer service representative should cover these factors during the quote process to provide you with an accurate estimate. We have listed some of the most crucial factors for you below.
- Lawn size: One of the most significant factors is your lawn’s size. The larger the lawn, the higher the price.
- Obstacles: Features like trees, fences, rocks, planters, and other obstacles that workers will have to work around will add to your cost.
- Steep hills: If your lawn is hilly or features some steep hills, you should expect some extra cost added to your monthly price due to the challenges they present.
- Labor: Depending on the number of services you require or the size of your lawn, a lawn care company may have to add multiple technicians to your job. The number of workers and hours worked will influence your cost.
- Travel time: In a similar vein to the labor required for the job, if your home is further out for the lawn care service than other homes, then additional charges may be added to your monthly fee.
How to Choose the Best Lawn Care Service
Choosing a lawn care provider might seem overwhelming, but it’ll be much easier if you consider these factors.
- Types of treatments: Think about what kind of treatments you want and need. Do you need extensive lawn care, covering fertilization, weed control, aeration, and overseeding? Or do you have fewer needs and want a streamlined plan?
- Aeration: Lawn aeration allows you to breathe new life into parts of your lawn that might otherwise be dead. If you notice that your soil is compact or you have many dead spots, consider a provider that offers this service.
- Overseeding: This treatment has a lawn care pro add new seedlings onto existing turf. This promotes overall turf health and development, and it can assist in replacing worn-out grass.
- Fertilization: This popular treatment has a technician place granular fertilizer across your lawn to promote its health.
- Weed control: Another popular lawn care service, weed control varies from company to company. Each company will most likely use a custom product and approach to treat the weeds in your yard.
- Soil pH control: This process measures your soil’s pH and restores a balance to it through the addition of lime.
- A la carte options: One-stop shopping is always convenient. You save time and money if you opt for a lawn care company that also provides some pest control.
- Types of products: Many lawn care companies offer the option for customers to pick between organic and chemical products. Organic products tend to be safer for children and pets, but they also take longer to yield results.
- Scheduling: Different lawn care companies have unique schedules for when they visit your home. Be sure to find a lawn care company that offers visits that sync up to your schedule.
- Cost: We recommend getting several quotes before making your ultimate decision. It’s also a good idea to inquire about how billing is done if you are concerned about auto-renewal.
- Specialist training: Some lawn care companies, like TruGreen, advertise their specialists’ training process to highlight how intensive their program is. You’re better off with more experienced specialists rather than newcomers, so this is something to consider.
- Reputation: We suggest you examine the company’s history and expert reviews to get a sense of its reliability, professionalism, and competence. This provides a window into a company’s customer service experience.
- Guarantee: You don’t want to pay for professional lawn care only to have the end result look like you hired the neighborhood kid to do it. You should make sure the lawn care company you choose offers a guarantee to return as needed to re-treat at no extra cost.
Recommended Lawn Care Services
If you are interested in receiving professional lawn care maintenance, we suggest you look into the lawn care services below.
- TruGreen: TruGreen services every state, except for Alaska and Hawaii. TruGreen offers five annual plans in addition to la carte services, such as pest control. This allows you to customize your lawn care with everything from fertilization to overseeding and more.TruGreen’s plans range from $558–$890 per year.
- Lawnbright: Lawnbright is a DIY subscription service that focuses on natural lawn care products free of harsh chemicals and toxins. It creates a custom plan for your lawn based on a soil test and then sends along easy-to-use products that attach directly to your hose. Lawnbright’s custom plans cost around $200 a year.
Our Rating Methodology
To provide readers with the most objective, accurate, and detailed recommendations, the This Old House Reviews Team continually researches lawn care service companies on the market. We take the following steps to obtain up-to-date information about the industry and each company we review:
- Analyze more than 100 customer reviews from third-party review sites, such as Yelp, the Better Business Bureau (BBB), and Google Reviews, for each company
- Secret-shop for lawn care plans and packages to get a sense of cost, offered services, and the overall shopping experience for prospective customers
- Speak with representatives on the phone to simulate the customer service experience from each provider
- Update information on a regular basis to ensure the most accurate information when plans or services change with each company
We use the data from our research to build an in-depth rating system that allows us to score lawn care providers on a 100-point scale. Here are the factors in our evaluation and their designated scores:
- Plan options (30): As one of the most important factors for homeowners shopping for a lawn care service, this one is weighted heavily based on each company’s lawn coverage. Companies that offer more options, such as irrigation, weed control, seeding, and aeration services in addition to a general plan, score higher than others.
- Trustworthiness (30): Each company’s reputation is another significant factor for homeowners to consider before signing up for a plan. We scored providers based on their BBB score, accreditation, and offered guarantees available with each purchase.
- Additional Benefits (20): We gave extra points to companies that provide a few additional services and benefits with their offered plans, such as organic treatments, pest control services, and a mobile app for digital communication and plan management.
- Customer Service (10): In this rating category, we awarded points to customer-focused lawn care service providers who offer weekend availability and easy communication through phones, online chats, and online resources.
Availability (10): We also scored companies based on their overall availability, rewarding those that are nationally available over local companies only operating in select cities or ZIP codes.
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews team at firstname.lastname@example.org.