For homeowners seeking personalized lawn care recommendations and products, Sunday is an excellent choice. The company assesses each lawn and its needs before shipping lawn care products straight to the customer’s door.
The This Old House Reviews Team evaluates top lawn care companies on metrics such as plans and services offered, state availability, and customer service, to help you determine the best lawn care company to fit your needs.
After our review, we rated Sunday Lawn Care a 65 out of 100, and named them the “Best for DIY Lawn Care.”
Pros & Cons of Sunday Lawn Care
✔️ Offers organic options for pest control, weed control, and plant food
✔️ Uses naturally derived ingredients like seaweed, molasses, and iron in its products
✔️ Is more cost-efficient than full-service lawn care plans
✔️ Tailors nutrient packs to the climate of your area
✖️ Doesn’t offer pre-emergent weed control products
✖️ Offers fewer customer service options than competitors, with limited chat and phone hours
Sunday Lawn Care Plans and Services
Founded in Colorado by two brothers who wanted to improve lawn care and reduce chemical-laced products that can negatively impact people and pets, products from Sunday are designed to easily and effectively treat your lawn using the exact non-toxic nutrients your lawn needs.
To start, enter your home address on Sunday’s secure site. Sunday creates and sends a free, immediate analysis of the soil, the condition of the lawn, and the climate where you live. This smart lawn plan will determine which products you need. For a more precise understanding, the company will send a soil test kit inside your first subscription box for you to return with a soil sample.
The company offers a variety of nutrient packets:
- Heat Helper: Supports grass growth and helps prepare lawn for peak heat
- Iron Booster: Includes nitrogen and reusable hose-end sprayer
- Grass Machine: Covers up to 3,000 square feet and is designed to strengthen roots and produce deep-green blades
- Grass Powerhouse: Features seaweed kelp abstract, made for growing deep-green, lush lawns
- Green Out: Includes a potassium macronutrient, manganese micronutrient, and a micronutrient lawn fertilizer blend for maximum color and health
- Lawn Strength: Features nitrogen, molasses, and food hydrolysate
Naturally derived ingredients like seaweed extract, humic acid, and recycled grocery produce a foundation for fertile soil. The nutrient pouches are designed to connect to your garden hose and be sprayed across your lawn for healthy grass.
Additional Sunday lawn care products include Weed Warrior and Dandelion Doom. The Weed Warrior’s organic formula kills grass, weeds, and moss in 20 minutes, so be careful if you’re using it near your yard. Ideally, Weed Warrior is only used in gardens and on unwanted moss. The Dandelion Doom weed killer is an iron-based formula that kills dandelions and broadleaf weeds.
Sunday also offers bluegrass, Kentucky, Bermudagrass, fescue, and other varieties of grass seed blends to fill in any bare spots. In case your pet is damaging your lawn, pet patch treatments are also available. Finally, the provider has pest control options, including Mosquito Deleto, Ant Adios, and other outdoor and indoor choices.
With its goal to provide a new American lawn and to support the entire ecosystem, Sunday uses cutting-edge plant science to formulate its special non-toxic, nutrient-packed blends for healthy, bright yards.
Sunday Lawn Care Locations
Though it’s headquartered in Boulder, Colorado, products from Sunday ship to all 50 states across the country. The team at Sunday monitors where products are headed and sends out the first shipment of lawn care products in early spring.
You will receive your package based on where you live, with warmer areas starting their growing seasons earlier in the year. For example, residents in Texas will receive their nutrient package weeks before residents in Maine receive theirs.
Sunday Lawn Care Reviews
Sunday was only founded in 2018, so it has not yet received a listing or rating on the Better Business Bureau (BBB) website. The company’s Facebook page includes third-party reviews for a snapshot of common concerns and praises for its lawn treatments. Many positive reviews cited quick results and successful weed elimination, while unhappy customers mentioned difficulty canceling their orders and hard-to-reach customer service. Here’s what customers said:
“I had a struggling lawn in the hot months of 2020 even with using a single sprinkler regularly. This was a complete sod lawn put down in 2018, so I was invested to take care of it. Anyway, Sunday turned it around pretty quickly. I saw results very fast and it brought my lawn back to where it was when I had originally put down.” — Mike M. via Facebook
“My grass looks so good on my camera, and in person. I love that I sent in a soil sample[,] and they were able to customize fertilizer to what nutrients my grass was lacking. I wish I had a before picture. Big improvement!” — Christene M. via Facebook
“Very poor online service. Unable to cancel my 2023 automatic order. Using their ‘bot’ gives no help. Very disappointed.” — Brad H. via Facebook
“I can’t see to get my shipment and it’s been ‘re-sent’ two or three times and still nothing—tracking doesn’t work.” — Loren E. via Facebook
Sunday provides an innovative, eco-friendly approach to lawn care that appeals to many homeowners, with the added benefit of shipments straight to their doorstep. The user-friendly packaging and DIY approach is ideal for new homeowners or those with smaller yards who are looking to save on costs for a healthy lawn.
However, if you’re looking for the time-saving convenience of full-service lawn care, TruGreen is a nationally recognized company that we’ve rated as our best overall pick. With a convenient mobile app, competitive pricing, and a wide variety of services, this is our top choice for hands-off lawn care.
Local Lawn Care
Many homeowners prefer a local branch to care for their lawn, offering full-service lawn maintenance like overseeding, aeration, and other add-on services in addition to fertilizer and weed treatments. For a company based in your area, fill out this form or enter your ZIP code below to find providers near you that specialize in green lawns.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Company name: Sunday
- Company type: Private
- CEO: Coulter Lewis
- Year founded: 2018
- State availability: 50
- BBB rating: N/A
Our Rating Methodology
To provide readers with the most objective, accurate, and detailed recommendations, the This Old House Reviews Team continually researches lawn care service companies on the market. We take the following steps to obtain up-to-date information about the industry and each company we review:
- Analyze more than 100 customer reviews from third-party review sites, such as Yelp, the Better Business Bureau (BBB), and Google Reviews, for each company
- Secret-shop for lawn care plans and packages to get a sense of cost, offered services, and the overall shopping experience for prospective customers
- Speak with representatives on the phone to simulate the customer service experience from each provider
- Update information on a regular basis to ensure the most accurate information when plans or services change with each company
We use the data from our research to build an in-depth rating system that allows us to score lawn care providers on a 100-point scale. Here are the factors in our evaluation and their designated scores:
- Plan options (30): As one of the most important factors for homeowners shopping for a lawn care service, this one is weighted heavily based on each company’s lawn coverage. Companies that offer more options, such as irrigation, weed control, seeding, and aeration services in addition to a general plan, score higher than others.
- Trustworthiness (30): Each company’s reputation is another significant factor for homeowners to consider before signing up for a plan. We scored providers based on their BBB score, accreditation, and offered guarantees available with each purchase.
- Additional Benefits (20): We gave extra points to companies that provide a few additional services and benefits with their offered plans, such as organic treatments, pest control services, and a mobile app for digital communication and plan management.
- Customer Service (10): In this rating category, we awarded points to customer-focused lawn care service providers who offer weekend availability and easy communication through phones, online chats, and online resources.
- Availability (10): We also scored companies based on their overall availability, rewarding those that are nationally available over local companies only operating in select cities or ZIP codes.
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.