To save time, Steps 1 through 6 can be done in advance. Refrigerate the prepared ingredients until 75 minutes before serving.
½ pound chorizo or Italian sausage, chopped into bite-size pieces
6 chicken thighs, fat trimmed, seasoned with salt and pepper
2½ cups onion (about 3 medium onions), chopped
6 garlic cloves, minced
5 ounces canned tomatoes (about ¾ cup), chopped
2 bay leaves
½ cup frozen peas
2 sweet red peppers, cored, seeded, and cut into 1-inch-wide strips
1 green bell pepper, cored, seeded, and cut into 1-inch-wide strips
1 dozen hard-shell clams, such as littlenecks, washed
¾ pound uncooked shrimp, peeled and deveined
½ teaspoon saffron threads, or substitute ½ teaspoon turmeric
1¼ cups Arborio or medium-grain rice
¾ teaspoon salt
2½ cups chicken broth (such as Kitchen Basics Natural)
1 teaspoon paprika
½ bunch fresh parsley, minced
1. Brush a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with olive oil.
2. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet, and saute chorizo (or sausage) until cooked. Transfer to a large bowl, pour off grease, and wipe out pan.
3. Heat another tablespoon of olive oil in same pan; add three chicken thighs, skin-side down. Wait about 6 minutes before turning, then cook about 8 minutes more. Transfer to bowl with sausage. Repeat with rest of chicken thighs.
4. Pour off excess grease and add onions to pan. Cook them slowly until soft, about 8 minutes. Add 5 minced garlic cloves, and cook while stirring, about 1 minute.
5. Add tomatoes and bay leaves. Cook, stirring, for about 2 minutes. Add peppers, toss, and transfer to a bowl.
6. In another bowl, toss shrimp with about 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 minced garlic clove, and a generous pinch of saffron (or turmeric). Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Note: If making in advance, refrigerate ingredients. About 75 minutes before serving, bring to room temperature and:
7. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Add rice and ¾ teaspoon salt to tomato-vegetable mixture, and spread mixture in pan. Using large spoon or your hands, push sausage and chicken pieces into rice mixture and add any juices from bowl.
8. Bring broth to a boil, adding paprika and remaining saffron (or turmeric). Pour evenly over rice. Cover pan tightly with foil, and bake until rice is almost tender, about 35 to 40 minutes.
9. Carefully remove foil, and wedge clams into rice. Top with shrimp and peas. Re-cover pan with foil, and cook until most of liquid is absorbed, clams have opened, and shrimp are pink, about 10 to 15 minutes.
10. Remove bay leaves, top with minced parsley, and serve.