- Tom thinks a minimum-size kitchen island should be 3 feet by 5 feet.
- From the face of the island to the face of the wall or cabinet should be a minimum of 42 inches.
- From the face of the island to the face of the wall or cabinet if there’s seating at the island should be a minimum of 60 inches.
- The height of an island usually matches the height of a countertop at 36 inches.
- If your island has seating, the counter should overhang at least 15 inches.
- An island with a taller height for bar stool seating should be 42 inches high and the overhang should be at least 12 inches.
- An island with a sink or stove should be larger.
- Island tops can either match the adjacent counters or be a different material like butcher block.
Tom cites his preferred sizing for a kitchen island, which was inspired by this article on TOH.com