No homeowner wants to think about the possibility of an intruder breaking into their home. If you’re looking to add another layer of security to your property, consider installing a Protect America system to improve home safety and keep your loved ones protected.
Before you invest in a home security system, read our review on Protect America to decide if it can provide the best home security system for you.
Our Take on Protect America Reviews
Protect America Security has over 28 years of experience providing home security systems and professional monitoring plans. It has affordable options and holds an A+ rating from the BBB, however, it only has 3.8 stars out of 5.0 from customers.
Pros and Cons of Protect America
✔ Customers can quickly customize their plan and add optional smart devices and features with a convenient online package tool
✔ Affordable Copper package is available from just $19.99 a month in most areas
✔ No upfront installation or labor costs on any package
✘ $19.99 landline monitoring package doesn’t include video monitoring
✘ Inconvenient cancellation process
✘ Doesn’t offer free professional installation
Protect America Packages & Equipment
Protect America offers three security packages: Copper, Silver, and Platinum. The basic difference between the three is how many sensors they include. Motion sensors can be placed at the entryway to doors and windows to detect movement when you arm your home security system.
All monitoring packages include a standard control panel, one motion detector, one yard sign, and four window and door stickers. Here’s how many sensors each Protect America plan includes:
- “Copper” Package: 3 door and window sensors
- “Silver” Package: 9 door and window sensors
- “Platinum” Package: 14 door and window sensors
Protect America Package Comparison
|Feature||"Copper" Package||"Silver" Package||"Platinum" Package|
|Best for||Most Affordable||Most Popular||Most Coverage|
|Mobile app access||✔||✔||✔|
|Motion Senors||✔ 3 included||✔ 9 included||✔ 14 included|
|Smart home compatibility||✗||✔||✔|
|Video streaming capability||✗||✔||✔|
In addition to a metal tier plan, you must also choose a coverage level plan. You can mix and match any metal tier package with any connection option. All packages include professionally guided DIY installation.
Each of the three metal tier plans have the following service options:
- Landline—The landline monitoring package is the simplest option from Protect America. When the alarm system recognizes a trigger, it uses your landline phone connection to reach the Protect America security monitoring center.
- Broadband—As the name suggests, the broadband package choice uses your home’s broadband internet connection to send alerts to the Protect America monitoring center. The broadband option connects on average much faster than landline options.
- Cellular—When you choose cellular monitoring, your home is constantly monitored using the same networks that cell phones use to provide you with service. This option also gives you the ability to control your home’s system through the Protect America SMART connect app.
Protect America Optional Add-Ons
In addition to standard packages, you can add indoor cameras, outdoor cameras, and a few additional smart home devices and features, including:
- Video doorbell—The video doorbell automatically starts recording when someone approaches your door.
- Glassbreak detector—The glassbreak detector device listens for the sound of glass being broken in your home. If it detects that a window or glass door has been smashed, it will trigger an alarm.
- Smart lock pro—The smart lock pro device is a keyless lock that installs over any standard deadbolt lock to give you keyless access to your home.
Not all smart devices are compatible with every package. For example, if you’d like to include video doorbell streaming on your package, you’ll need to have a broadband internet connection.
Protect America Pricing
The cost you’ll pay for your Protect America plan will vary depending on where you live, the plan you choose, and any extras you add on. Here’s what you might expect to pay for monitoring services from Protect America in Kissimmee, Florida.
Package Pricing Comparison
|Service Plan Options||"Copper" Package||"Silver" Package||"Platinum" Package|
There are no professional installation fees or hardware fees for standard packages from Protect America. Additional expenses may apply for hardware if you add a video doorbell, glassbreak detector, or other optional protection to your package.
Protect America Customer Service
Protect America offers customers two ways to get in-touch with its customer care team: by phone or through chat.
- Phone—To contact Protect America by phone, call 1-800-951-5190. Customer service is available from 8 am to 9 pm EST on weekdays and 9 am to 7 pm EST on weekends.
- Chat—You can chat with a customer service representative online by visiting the Protect America homepage. Chat is available between 7 am–11 pm on weekdays and from 9 am to 7 pm on weekends.
Protect America includes a free lifetime warranty on all of its home security equipment as long as you’re a customer with an active monitoring account.
Protect America Reviews
Protect America is currently accredited with the Better Business Bureau and maintains an A+ rating from the BBB. Customers who have worked with Protect America have rated the company an average of about 3.8 stars out of 5.0.
Customers who praise Protect America often referenced the company’s friendly customer service and responsive and proactive team members:
“Customer service rep Ciera was very friendly and informative. She understood the product and answered all of my numerous questions. I was happy with the service provided to me. They were also very quick to follow up and made sure I followed through with installation quickly and efficiently. Very professional company.” —Pary S. on 7/09/2018
Customers who had a negative experience with Protect America expressed frustration with the company’s billing practices and cancellation policies:
“I cancelled the service 30 days before the contract ended. Due to my wife having dementia, her medications are very expensive. I did not have the money to pay the final bill. They continue to add monthly charges and tell me the bill has to be at zero before they can cancel.” —Michael B. on 7/25/2017
If you’re the type of homeowner who values a quick online purchase process, affordability, and generous warranty policies, you’ll likely love the many options available from Protect America. However, if you’re the type of homeowner who doesn’t want long-term contracts, likes to know that you can cancel your package without a hassle, or wants a professional team to install your system, you may want to choose another home security company.
More on Home Security Systems:
- ADT Home Security Review
- Vivint Home Security Review
- Alder Home Security Review
- Abode Home Security Review
- Brinks Home Security Review
- Ackerman Security Review
Frequently Asked Questions about Protect America
Our Rating Methodology
The This Old House Reviews Team backs up our home security recommendations with a detailed rating methodology that we use to objectively score each provider. Our research includes analyzing product specifications, reviewing service and plan information, speaking with customer service representatives, and analyzing customer reviews. We then score the provider against our review standards for system options, special features, installation options, connectivity and smart-home automation features, pricing, contract terms, warranty, usability, availability of a trial period, and trustworthiness to arrive at a final score out of 100.
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.