Headquartered in Norcross, Georgia, Ackerman Security provides home security services in the greater Atlanta metro area. If you live in this area and are looking for an established security company to protect your home and your family, Ackerman might be a good option.
In this review of Ackerman Security, the This Old House Reviews Team will discuss the benefits, packages, and pricing associated with the company and help you determine if Ackerman can provide the best home security system for you.
Our Take on Ackerman Security
Ackerman Security is known for its superior customer service, 200% money-back guarantee, smart home compatibility, and 24/7 monitoring services. It holds a B+ rating from the Better Business Bureau (BBB). However, it’s only available in metro area of Atlanta, GA.
Pros and Cons of Ackerman Security
✔ Has over 50 years of experience
✔ Plans are custom designed for each customer’s needs
✔ Guarantee to pay 100% of your insurance deductible, plus a matching amount in cash up to $25,000 if a thief burglarizes your home
✘ Only available in the Atlanta metro area
✘ Doesn’t come with DIY installation
Ackerman Security Services & Equipment
Ackerman Security doesn’t offer any pre-existing packages and instead gives customers the option to create a security system that’s custom for your home. The company offers professional monitoring services, home automation, and video surveillance.
- Ackerman Monitoring Service: Customers can receive 24/7 live protection with Ackerman’s 5 Diamond, in-house monitoring services. If you want home security around the clock and access to local authorities if an emergency arises, professional monitoring may be a good option. Monthly monitoring starts at $19.99, but all equipment costs, installation, and additional monitoring are variable and tailored to each customer.
- Home Automation: With Ackerman home automation, you have remote access to arm and disarm your security system, control lights and thermostats, and receive notifications on your phone. Some home automation equipment you can invest in includes door sensors, wireless monitoring, and motion detectors.
- Video Surveillance: Whether you want to view live footage or automatically record events to view at a later time, Ackerman offers indoor and outdoor cameras, as well as video doorbell surveillance.
In addition to these services, Ackerman Security offers plans that are custom designed to fit each customer’s specific home security needs. We recommend scheduling time with an Ackerman consultant to discuss the best home security products and services for your home.
Ackerman Security Equipment
Here are some examples of devices and features you can include with your custom-built system:
- Prodigy Smart Home app
- Video recording device
- Doorbell camera
- Indoor and outdoor video camera
- Motion detectors
- Carbon monoxide detectors
- Real-time video viewing
- Home automation
- Smart locks
- Smart thermostat
- Voice control
- Garage door control
Here are some other features you can add to your Ackerman plan:
- Amazon Echo Dot—Ackerman systems can be voice controlled via your Echo Dot.
- Yale Smart Lock—Using the Ackerman mobile app, you can lock and unlock your doors remotely, check if you remembered to lock the front door, and program doors to lock automatically when the system is armed.
- Leviton Smart Lights—Schedule your lights to turn off to conserve energy or turn them on during set times to make it look like someone is home while you’re away.
Note: Pricing per package is determined by the selection of home security devices and coverage selected.
Ackerman Security Pricing
Because every Ackerman security system is custom-built, the website doesn’t have set package pricing available. Customers will have to request a free quote on the website or call 800-552-1111 to talk with a consultant.
Ackerman Customer Service
Ackerman has been in business for over 50 years and prides itself on customer service and customer satisfaction. It’s the only security company in the U.S. that offers two written guarantees. One guarantee covers 100% of any financial loss from a burglary (up to $25,000), and the second guarantee meets or exceeds UL’s stringent requirement of 45 seconds from the receipt of signal to first response.
Ackerman Security Reviews
Ackerman Security is accredited by the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and has a B+ rating. As with any top-rated home security company, Ackerman has a mix of positive and negative reviews. Here’s a sampling of those BBB customer reviews below:
“I had an excellent experience with Johnny, Ackerman representative, this morning and commend him for his skill in solving problems and in customer relations.” —Barbara K. on 5/06/2020
“Great security company!! Gives you the latest and greatest security technology for an affordable price. Juan and Otis made the experience a pleasant one!! Thanks Ackerman for keeping my family safe!!” —Ann W. on 4/20/2020
Ackerman Security provides customized plans, up-to-date technology, and a focus on dedicated customer service. Paired with the ability to automate your home while protecting your family and belongings—and a 200% guarantee—Ackerman could be a great choice for someone new to home security. However, it’s not an ideal fit if you prefer going the DIY route on installation.
Ackerman Security vs. Competitors
If you’re still unsure whether Ackerman Security is right for you, compare the company to other top-rated home security providers below.
Ackerman Compared to the Competition
|Specifications||Ackerman Security||ADT Home Security||Vivint Home Security|
|Pricing||Not available through This Old House||View Plans||View Plans|
|Mobile app access||✔||✔||✔|
|Smart home compatibility||✔||✔||✔|
|Video streaming capability||✔||✔||✔|
|Money-back guarantee||200% money-back guarantee||6-month guarantee||Limited|
More on Home Security Systems:
Frequently Asked Questions
Our Rating Methodology
The This Old House Reviews Team backs up our home security recommendations with a detailed rating methodology that we use to objectively score each provider. Our research includes analyzing product specifications, reviewing service and plan information, speaking with customer service representatives, and analyzing customer reviews. We then score the provider against our review standards for system options, special features, installation options, connectivity and smart-home automation features, pricing, contract terms, warranty, usability, availability of a trial period, and trustworthiness to arrive at a final score out of 100.
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at email@example.com.